Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Just One Victory" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout tonight at 10:30PM ET on Disney XD! Don't miss the three-part season finale!

Kvd9NPa.png
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Just One Victory"
Episode Debut - June 9th, 2019

With the Nova Corp defeated and the fate of the entire universe in jeopardy, the Guardians must turn to an unlikely ally to stop The Serpent.

*Henry Winkler (“Happy Days”) guest stars as Peter Quill’s Grandpa.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Frontier

Staff member
As a season finale I thought this episode was pretty good, though as a series finale (which from all appearances it might end up being) it didn't quite feel exactly fitting...but at least we had Thanos kind of breaking out prison, so one more breakout to justify calling this season Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout :p.

I'm kind of surprised this show took the fan theory of Hela embodying Thanos' love of death in the movies and actually used it here...which I guess makes this Thanos more comic-accurate then the movies o_O.

Peter challenging the Serpent to a dance-off felt full-circle, although the Serpent's response was perfect ;).

Wasn't this season supposed to explain Thor sporting his Ragnarok look in Panther's Quest? It only really explained what happened to Mjolnir :shrug:.

So Odin can give Groot energy to restore his life but he can't just restore Groot to his normal adult form? Although Baby Groot with Thor's helmet was actually pretty cute :anime:.

Man, even in the end Loki gets no respect from his family, but at least the Guardians are there to give him some recognition. This may be the last time we see this version of Loki, so it's nice that he gets a bit of happy ending for himself :).

Things actually turned out pretty well for Thanos, all things considered. He got his freedom, got his daughter to acknowledge him, got to feed on the life force of some serpent monsters, and then got to meet his crush Hela. Kind of surprised at that :eek:.

I wonder, if there had been another season, if we would've seen the main villains be Hela and Thanos working together? Yet another bit taken from Thor comics :ack:.

Remember when the Collector was touted as the main antagonist of this season? The show didn't seem to. But at least they didn't leave him hanging by addressing him at the very end, although kind of makes me wonder where Phyla's been since the Guardians vanished :confused:.

So the series closes out on...Peter Quill's grandpa coming in randomly to complain about how much of a terrible grandson Quill is? I mean, that was fun and all, but no resolution to Peter and Gamora's relationship? Or any sense of finality? Or the team having a big, happy, team moment together? Huh :(.

TheLemsterPju

So the series closes out on...Peter Quill's grandpa coming in randomly to complain about how much of a terrible grandson Quill is? I mean, that was fun and all, but no resolution to Peter and Gamora's relationship? Or any sense of finality? Or the team having a big, happy, team moment together? Huh :(.

Bummed about that too. I get the weird "no romance" rule but I would have liked to have seen some small hint of flirting between the two before Grandpa Quill interrupted their moment. That might have been some closure. :(

Frontier

Staff member
Bummed about that too. I get the weird "no romance" rule but I would have liked to have seen some small hint of flirting between the two before Grandpa Quill interrupted their moment. That might have been some closure. :(
Especially since it feels like this season has probably been the most overt about the relationship...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Just One Victory"

I like that they spent a good five minutes on wrap-up. If the show doesn't come back I'll be satisfied.

And look at this show actually allowing Loki his hero moment. I disapprove of the same for Thanos (which is why I was very glad he ended up with Hela) but after all Loki did there was no reason for him not to get credit for it. It's like everything Avengers Assemble did wrong, this show did it right. I dig it.

I love Drax baldly stating the Nova Corp lost and then he's all "What? Did I guess wrong?"

Peter's grandpa. That was a great final scene of the season and probably the series. I found the whole episode very satisfying if it WAS the last one. *****.

Frontier

Staff member
And look at this show actually allowing Loki his hero moment. I disapprove of the same for Thanos (which is why I was very glad he ended up with Hela) but after all Loki did there was no reason for him not to get credit for it. It's like everything Avengers Assemble did wrong, this show did it right. I dig it.
It's not a Marvel cosmic storyline if the heroes don't eventually end up begrudgingly teaming-up with Thanos :p.

I thought Loki's hero moment worked more here then it really would have in Assemble.
Peter's grandpa. That was a great final scene of the season and probably the series. I found the whole episode very satisfying if it WAS the last one. *****.
I thought it was an amusing way to end the season. The series? Not so much :sweat:.

I wonder if they'd planned more with Henry Winkler as Grandpa Quill if they had had a future season, but considering how the other guest stars turned out (Raven Symone only really voiced Valkyrie for, like, two episodes and Minga-Na's Phyla vanished without a trace) they might not have been able to pull it off :confused:.

Frontier

Staff member
Series finales for animated series are a relatively recent thing. The episode wrapped up what it needed to. I won't be fussed if there isn't more.
I don't know if I'd call them relatively recent...feels like they've been pretty common as far as I've been watching cartoons.

I think this finale definitely closed out the season well, but I would have liked them to have touched on more if this is indeed the last episode of Guardians. But that's just me :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't know if I'd call them relatively recent...feels like they've been pretty common as far as I've been watching cartoons.

I think this finale definitely closed out the season well, but I would have liked them to have touched on more if this is indeed the last episode of Guardians. But that's just me :).
I've been watching cartoons since the 1980's. Back then cartoons simply stopped. A last episode was never any different than any other episode. I don't have mile high expectations for any kid show finale because almost no kids show gets advance notice it's being canceled. I'm sure the show would have delivered a much more definitive ending if it knew for sure it was the last season. Because it didn't, we got this. And it was good because it wrapped up what it needed to and left the door open for more. That's about the best I expect from most kids cartoons

Roxas_Sora

Wasn't this season supposed to explain Thor sporting his Ragnarok look in Panther's Quest? It only really explained what happened to Mjolnir :shrug:.

Yeah, I expected an explanation. By the way, what exactly happened to Mjolnir?, because I didn't see it or heard about it at any moment.

Frontier

Staff member
Any scene that proved that or it was just words? And anyway, where it was mentioned or shown?
It was shown in the episode "With a Little Help from my Friends" and I just assume Odin can reforge it with what we've seen of his power and the fact that Thor and nobody else brings up Mjolnir again afterwards.

Roxas_Sora

It was shown in the episode "With a Little Help from my Friends" and I just assume Odin can reforge it with what we've seen of his power and the fact that Thor and nobody else brings up Mjolnir again afterwards.

I checked it back, and it was actually in the previous episode, "Holding Out for a Hero". The Serpent is indeed powerful, but I think he destroyed Mjolnir too easily.

You know?, if a series of this continuity could continue, I'll say the destruction of Mjolnir could give us a whole new arc. From the remains of Mjolnir, the Serpent (in case he probably returned) could forge the hammers to gather the Worthy. Also, other pieces of Mjolnir could be used for other purposes. One piece of Mjolnir could be used to create Throg (the frog who gained a power similar to Thor's, and as reference as his own time as a frog). Another piece could be used to increase the power of Thunderstrike's (Jane Foster) mace, giving it a look and power more similar to Mjolnir itself.

What do you think?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Not a bad episode on it's own (it feels like gathering teammates was ultimately pointless, IMO), but I'm also mixed on it being a series finale. It felt a tad bit rushed in that regard, with any sense of epilogue being smushed to the final few minutes. Also, kinda in-character for the show, but kinda amusing that Peter's reunion for his grandpa is played more for laughs than anything else...

It was kinda nice for Loki to finally have his moment, but that also feels more like an overall "Marvel animation" finale thing than strictly a GotG finale thing. And the (admittedly) small build up to Thanks returning didn't amount to too much, but it was cool seeing him fight the Serpent. His exit felt more like the writers needed a quick way to get rid of him, though.

If this is the end of the Guardians cartoon, it had a good run. Overall, it was definitely better than Ultimate Spider-Man, and more consistent than Assemble's early seasons. From the current shows, I only prefer Spider-Man.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
The last set of episodes from Black Vortex on were okay to good.

I do have to comment on how badly they mangled that joke with Yondu's arrow. It made me less smile.

Series finales for animated series are a relatively recent thing.
Recent is like the last 5 to 10 years. Animated series finales have been a thing since the 90s. I might sound spoiled for saying this, but if a show runs for more than three years without getting cancelled there should be some sort of series finale planned.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts