Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Holding Out For A Hero" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Disney XD will air two new episodes, tonight starting at 9:30PM ET!

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Holding Out For A Hero"
Episode Debut - June 2nd, 2019

The Serpent attacks Asgard and infects the World Tree! The Guardians have to team up with Loki to try to stop the Serpent before he destroys the universe.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The Guardians are trapped in the clutches of the Serpent and in the Asgardian forge! So still some breaking out required on Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout :anime:.

Oh hey, they did a Star Wars medal ceremony. At least they didn't pull a Chewbacca with Groot's medal ;).

You almost kind of understand why Loki is the way he is when you see how he gets absolutely no respect or credit even when he ostensibly does something good. I mean, he brings it on himself more often then not, but still :(.

You ever notice there are never too many Asgardians on Asgard? Like, I dunno, they couldn't fit in cameos from the rest of the Warriors Three? Sif? Angela? Balder? I feel like Earth's Mightiest Heroes spoiled me on Asgardian cameos :sad:.

I love how Valkyrie forces Fandral to not besmirch her status as the most deadliest woman on Asgard (sorry other Asgardian warrior women) and she then promptly contributes nothing once the Serpent attacks :p.

So the Serpent planted the World Tree? I guess that supplants any loyalty to the All-Father :ack:.

That giant reminded me of Korg of the Warbound or The Thing as one of the Serpent's Worthy during Fear Itself. And I guess Mjolnir wasn't forged in Nidavellir in this continuity :confused:?

So the Darkhawks did replace an Asgardian, just not the one anyone expected :eek:.

I thought those swords were just decorative, but count on Rocket to prove me wrong :anime:.

Despite not being very effective against the Serpent, it was nice to see Thor get a big hero moment by helping break the Bifrost to hold his evil uncle off :).

Loki as a Guardian of the Galaxy? It surprisingly works :cool:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Holding Out For A Hero"

Tell me I was not the only one frustrated by that. On the surface, the episode was fun. It had a lot of cool jokes and funny scenes. But there was no forward momentum for either the action or the show itself.

They definitively defeat Serpent. And then he comes back like nothing happened. Then they do it again. Same result. I feel like the back and forth is a waste of time, and when Heimdehl is revealed to be a Darkhawk, I was like "This show is treading water and bringing back problems we were supposed to have already solved." It was super annoying.

Good Jokes I liked:

I love Peter loving the sword blaster and being cunning enough to appeal to the part of Loki who would agree to become a hero just to be able to rub his brother's face in it. That was outright clever, and frankly the best way I have ever seen anyone handle Loki before. The way Peter frames it, a large part of the appeal is that Loki would gain more satisfaction against his father and brother if he didn't actually betray them this one time. Jury's out on whether the show is actually decent enough to follow through with that idea (the abominable Avengers Assemble was not) but I like the frame because it ties Loki's mischief and grudge against his family into doing something honorable just to tick Thor and Odin off. And I wonder why more people don't ever take that specific tack with Loki. Granted, if everyone did, Loki would eventually see through it. But it doesn't make sense that Peter's the first guy I've seen attempt it.

I couldn't decide which was my favorite Drax line: The one where he assures them he isn't joking because he wouldn't be laughing if he was, because he doesn't understand jokes, or saying that many things chafe him because he doesn't wear a shirt. Probably the first thing because the chaffing callback made the original line a little less funny.

One thing I loved was Thor ranting at Loki for cowardice and Peter's like "No, dude, we have to split." Which is the value of Peter to me. He knows when to make a hasty exit.

I feel like we are spinning our wheels a bit. ***1/2.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
They definitively defeat Serpent. And then he comes back like nothing happened. Then they do it again. Same result. I feel like the back and forth is a waste of time, and when Heimdehl is revealed to be a Darkhawk, I was like "This show is treading water and bringing back problems we were supposed to have already solved." It was super annoying.
They didn't really definitively defeat the Serpent so much as just pushed him back into his own dimension.

I wonder if the Heimdall switch happened last episode where he was with Thor and Odin in facing the Serpent down on Knowhere? I thought he was there :confused:.
I love Peter loving the sword blaster and being cunning enough to appeal to the part of Loki who would agree to become a hero just to be able to rub his brother's face in it. That was outright clever, and frankly the best way I have ever seen anyone handle Loki before. The way Peter frames it, a large part of the appeal is that Loki would gain more satisfaction against his father and brother if he didn't actually betray them this one time. Jury's out on whether the show is actually decent enough to follow through with that idea (the abominable Avengers Assemble was not) but I like the frame because it ties Loki's mischief and grudge against his family into doing something honorable just to tick Thor and Odin off. And I wonder why more people don't ever take that specific tack with Loki. Granted, if everyone did, Loki would eventually see through it. But it doesn't make sense that Peter's the first guy I've seen attempt it.
I think Thor has appealed to Loki's vanity for assistance before, if not in a recent cartoon...maybe in Secret Wars? Although I think the reason Peter was able to come up with it is because of the similarities between him and Loki as "tricksters."