Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win a $100 or a $50 gift code to FUN.com. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy story-arc!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
After a year-long hiatus, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout returns! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, tonight starting at 9:30 pm ET! Check out the first 2 parts of the new "Black Vortex" arc, featuring various art-styles and animation!

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex, Part One"
Episode Debut - May 5th, 2019

When the Guardians become separated in the Black Vortex, Gamora wakes up in a children's fairytale, while Drax is trapped in a comic book.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex, Part Two"
Episode Debut - May 5th, 2019

While caught in a CG sinister packing factory, Rocket must search for his best friend Groot and escape.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Reactions: Frontier

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
The Princess Gamora segment makes me wish Mercury Filmworks would animate more Marvel cartoons. I mean, with their work on Jake And The Neverland Pirates , Mickey Mouse 2013, Wander Over Yonder season 1, The Lion Guard, Tangled The Series , and Legend Of The Three Caballeros, which are all visually impressive, they can really push it.

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Hammond IN
I know they do it a lot these days but I always like it when Disney makes fun of themselves like this. The Gamora segment looks like it comes straight out of Tangled the series.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Guardians of the Galaxy finally returns to adapt the much-promoted "Black Vortex" storyline, which sees the Guardians enter and then try to break out of the titular Vortex! So still some breaking out going on with Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout;).

So Gamora only brings up that she knows about the Black Vortex now? Wasn't Quill the only one who really took an interest in it :confused:?

It was pretty cool seeing the show dive into several different animation art styles in their take on the Black Vortex storyline, although I found it Kind of reflected badly on thethe show when we had better coloring and fluid animation in some of these Black Vortext segments then in the normal animation style for the show :sweat:.

Gamora in a Disney Princess parody via the animation style of Tangled: The Series was pretty amusing, especially with her wry comments and the fact that they're on a Disney network on-top of that :harley:.

I'm kind of surprised talking animals would still freak Gamora out at this point, but maybe she's associating them with Earth animals :ack:?

"Meet the most dangerous princess in the galaxy!" Crystal of the Inhumans :rolleyes2:?

Watching Gamora cut through swaths of evil (yet still cutesy) animals was pretty fun :cool:.

I loved everything about the Drax sequence. From them using Drax's convoluted comic origin and classic look, to the Spider-Man references, to all the classic kooky comic book stuff from Tom Kenny's lemony narrator, "Pow" effects, and the advertisements. It was just so fun :anime:.

I also love that they brought back Jonathan Frakes as J. Jonah J'Son. He actually makes a surprisingly good manic and obsessed news guy. He even got in Perry White's classic "Great Caesars Ghost" :D.

I appreciated that they got Isaac Singleton's back for Thanos' cameo, but that has got to be the easiest paycheck of his career. I mean, he was only in it for two seconds and just laughed evilly :p.

You know it's the final season when Drax finally understands a metaphor :eek:.

So Drax goes from being a Superhero to being Epic Mickey. Not sure if that was an intentional reference, but still kind of fun :elle:.

Did they really need to re-use the whole intro sequence again? I know Marvel cartoons have a tendency to do this for multi-parters that see the cast going to different settings, and maybe it helps for viewers just going into an episode, but when it comes right after the first part it's really kind of redundant :shrug:.

The CG in both the Rocket and Groot segments weren't on par with the Rocket and Groot shorts, but they were serviceable for what they were meant to do. Rocket's being more Uglydolls then Pixar was probably fitting enough for his character :bugs1:.

I like that each Guardian has a piece of Groot with them, helping them in their respective stories. Even when the Guardians aren't together, Groot is still connecting them to each other :proud:.

I am so happy we didn't end up with Baby Groot again o_O.

Hearing Groot actually talk in normal sentences was pretty fun. He doesn't sound very different from what we've probably surmised of his personality via Rocket's translations over the course of the series, being a polite, steadfast, and compassionate individual with Kevin Michael Richardson's booming voice, but it is kind of different hearing him with words that aren't "I am Groot." Must have been pretty refreshing for KMR as well :).

Thematically I wasn't quite sure what they were going for in the Groot segment. Everyone from the start is kind of "off" but then they lose their color and become even more off? It just didn't seem to flow all that well for me :(.

The Black Vortex being an actual malevolent force trying to use the Guardians to escape was unexpected. I don't know if we really needed that to complicate things more, but I guess the writers thought there needed to be a more direct antagonist for this arc :moon2:.

Reactions: JoeMabbon

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Hammond IN
I liked Groots story because it wasn't comedic like the other three. It was actually a pretty effective horror story. Watching Groot regain his people only to lose them again was sad even if it wasn't real. It gives us an insight into Groot that we needed.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy "Black Vortex: Part One"

That was quite an episode.

Birds Of A Feather:

The best thing is that the producers spent extra money to change up the animation style to something fluid enough to be totally consistent with Disney animation. This is the first Marvel cartoon I have seen in ages that has actually TRIED, and that matters to me.

I like Gamora questioning the logic of singing a song about whistling. Disney sort of took it on the chin in this segment, and considering they currently own Marvel, that amuses me. 5 star segment. *****.

Heroes:

The glasses thing always bugs me. That is exactly how stupid comic books and their related cartoons, movies and TV shows actually are.

For the record, I would totally watch a superhero cartoon done in this exact art style.

I'm questioning why Drax thought he could fly in the first place. Surely he wasn't familiar with superhero tropes, was he?

But that was a minor quibble. Another great segment. ****1/2.

Episode Overall: *****.

Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy "Black Vortex: Part Two"

I don't mind them playing the same teaser twice.

Stand And Deliver:

This seems to be a cross between Pixar and Roger Rabbit. Unfortunately, Rocket's lousy design simply reminds me that this is CGI attempted on a television budget, so it and the Groot stuff looks cheaper than the other segments. ***1/2.

Color My World:

It's interesting that Groot can talk in this segment.

The horror movie motif was interesting, and distinguished this from the other segments. For some reason cheaply done CGI plays better in action cartoons than cartoony cartoons. You would think it would be the other way around.

I imagine a psychologist would have a field day with the idea that Groot's handpicked nightmare reality included the idea that people talking like him was a symptom of mental instability and sickness. That wasn't further explored in the segment, but it suggests to me that there is a large part of Groot that is self-loathing. And since this is both the first time we've heard him speak and gotten inside his head, it's not actually inconsistent with what we know. Because before this episode we knew shockingly little.

A nice, but horrible, change of pace. ****.

Episode Overall: ****.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The best thing is that the producers spent extra money to change up the animation style to something fluid enough to be totally consistent with Disney animation. This is the first Marvel cartoon I have seen in ages that has actually TRIED, and that matters to me.
Marvel Rising seems to be the only other Marvel work where they seem to put in a little more effort on the animation front.
I'm questioning why Drax thought he could fly in the first place. Surely he wasn't familiar with superhero tropes, was he?
Funnily enough, I think comic Drax could fly during that period of his life :p.
I don't mind them playing the same teaser twice.
I think it would've been nice to have differentiated it a little, maybe focus more on the characters who would be the focus of the episode, rather then just use the exact same scene :sweat:.
I imagine a psychologist would have a field day with the idea that Groot's handpicked nightmare reality included the idea that people talking like him was a symptom of mental instability and sickness. That wasn't further explored in the segment, but it suggests to me that there is a large part of Groot that is self-loathing. And since this is both the first time we've heard him speak and gotten inside his head, it's not actually inconsistent with what we know. Because before this episode we knew shockingly little.
I think people talking like Groot was supposed to throw him off, but I think his entire race has always talked like that so having them do it wouldn't be all that off-putting.

I don't think Groot is self-loathing, but I do think there is an internal sadness to him because of everything he's lost :ack:.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I personally don't think he's self-loathing either. My point is that he COULD be and it wouldn't contradict anything because we have never gotten inside his head before.
True, although I think we've seen enough of his character across the series to be able to at least make an educated guess as to what his headspace might be like ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, tonight starting at 9:30 pm ET! Don't miss the final 2 parts of the new "Black Vortex" arc, featuring various art-styles and animation!

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex, Part Three"
Episode Debut - May 12th, 2019

Quill finds himself in a claymation world where the Milano is flying into the sun, threatening to melt him. Meanwhile, Groot and Drax must fight Ronan in a Golden Age world.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex, Part Four"
Episode Debut - May 12th, 2019

Gamora and Quill battle their way through an 8-bit Super Marvel World.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex: Part 3"

"I Melt With You"

If you look closely, you can tell this isn't true stop-motion animation, and instead stylized CGI. Whatever. It works and The LEGO Movie did it too, so I won't grump about it.

It was a visually fun and funny segment. ****1/2.

"Getting In Toon"

Ronan The Accuser is not what I would call a go-to character for a cartoon slapstick villain, but they sort of made it work. Mostly because Ronan was designed like a Spumco character.

I love Drax telling Rocket he was not his drinking receptacle. What a dope.

You know seeing the top half of the cliched "Woman In Heels You Can't See Above The Knee" I was like "I knew it!" This is the precise reason the Muppet Babies never look upward at Nanny.

Awesome cartoon. 5 stars. *****.

Episode Overall: 5 stars. *****.

Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout "Black Vortex: Part 4"

"Jump"

This was more like 16-bit than 8-bit.

Unfortunately they cheated the characters holding things at non-parallel angles. This segment was super fun but it struck me as the least authentic of the various styles.

But Lord, Gamora in the princess dress was priceless. Peter is not to tell ANYONE about this. He's lost his L.A. privileges.

Funny stuff. 5 stars. *****.

"Reflections Of My Mind"

Excellent conclusion and unexpected cliffhanger. I have to say I really loved this four-parter and can pretty easily state that Guardians Of The Galaxy is the best Marvel Animation-era TV project. Marvel Rising is technically better, but that's a series of movies and specials. Out of the franchises that are actual series (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH, and Marvel's Spider-Man) Guardians is easily the best. Maybe that's damning with faint praise, but it's still enjoyable. 5 stars. *****.

Episode Overall: 5 stars. *****.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The Guardians are still trying to break out of the Black Vortex on Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout ;).

The "fake" claymation for Star-Lord's Black Vortex world was cute. I mean, if you looked at it close enough it definitely wasn't real claymation, but it was a decent attempt at evoking the style :).

Is that the first time we've seen the Element Gun shoot normal lasers :confused:?

I'm kind of surprised Peter didn't bring up a "stop hitting yourself" joke :p.

I wonder if they realized Rocket was the best fit for a world based around old school cartoons, which is why they gave him another focus world (even though Drax showed up later)? I definitely think this was much better then his CGI story :anime:.

I don't think this was how anyone was expecting Ronan to come back after season 1, but I guess with him probably being legitimately dead this was the only way they could think to bring him back in some form :ack:.

Drax showing up in a cartoon world with cartoon physics was so fitting :harley:.

I loved the 8-bit world. The animation and "graphics" were on-point and Peter and Gamora's banter was great, especially with Gamora acting so incredulous at the different gaming elements :D.

We also got Gamora in a dress (with photographic evidence) :rolleyes2:.

Somehow I'm not surprised J'Son in that world turned out to be the secret Final Boss, although I was expecting him to transform into The Magus instead :evil:.

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't bring Thanos back since they had Isaac Singleton record for one episode and were bringing back the "greatest hits" of the Guardians Rogues Gallery. Maybe they didn't use him because he's not dead like Ronan and J'Son are :(?

The final fight with the Black Vortex entity was pretty solid, with the Vortex trying to sow doubts into the team and overpower them but the spirit of Groot and the team's bond was able to overcome and defeat him :cool:.

Man, this show really won't let go of Baby Groot :sweat:.

The fact that there might have been a time skip since the Guardians entered the Vortex, and now they're venerated heroes, was unexpected. It'll be interesting to see how that impacts the status quo and what's changed since then, although I don't expect the time skip to have been that long (maybe several months at the most). Guess it gives time for the Darkhawk invasion to begin :eek:.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Aaaaand the other ratings are gone :(
Lot's of Great Cartoon News Today! Looking forward to Mao-Mao and Tig N Seek! As well as S2 of Summer Camp Island. Now if only we could get airdates for Thundercats ROAR! & High Guardian Spice.
What would you do if you were in charge of Universal Kids?
Anybody remembered when Gerald McBoing Boing had Cartoon Network City Bumpers? I vaguely remembered them.