"Guardians of the Galaxy" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If purple is power and blue is space, what does that make the Aether, which is red?
No one at Marvel Studios confirmed which one the Aether is yet. Fan speculation is Reality Stone since it's feature of being the most dangerous and chaotic matches up.

RoryWilliams

I believe Feige may have said the exact opposite; that fans should NOT expect them to match up exactly. But I'm not sure.

Some details on the sequel. Thanos is definitely not the main villain and the Guardians will be facing a different baddie. Thanos has other children who are supposedly much worse than Nebula and Peter Quill's dad is NOT J'Son of Spartax in the MCU.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I didn't think we'd get the dad from the comics, which is fine with me. In the film, they mention that the dad is from some "ancient race"; in the comics, he's just an ordinary, humanoid alien guy, nothing special.

The Talon

It's not J'Son? Wow, I guess Brian Bendis finally has an excuse to kill him off from the comics. As for Star-Lord's MCU daddy, the three likeliest candidates are Adam Warlock, Starfox, and Starhawk.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I saw a theory the other day it's going to be Adam Warlock. Meredith's description of his father has light matches up with Warlock and there was the claim, his cocoon is busted open in the credits teaser.

I'm not that up on Thanos' progeny - who else is there besides (Gamora, Nebula) Rot and Thane? But I am likewise up for going with other villains not connected to Thanos, just to expand on the space section of the MCU.

Gold Guy

Staff member
I saw a theory the other day it's going to be Adam Warlock. Meredith's description of his father has light matches up with Warlock and there was the claim, his cocoon is busted open in the credits teaser.

I'm not that up on Thanos' progeny - who else is there besides (Gamora, Nebula) Rot and Thane? But I am likewise up for going with other villains not connected to Thanos, just to expand on the space section of the MCU.

In the recent comic arc "Infinity", Thanos had a group called The Black Order. Many fans think all the members will appear eventually, could be them. And, they're all decently tough (some gave The Hulk trouble), so they shouldn't end up cannon fodder.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In the recent comic arc "Infinity", Thanos had a group called The Black Order. Many fans think all the members will appear eventually, could be them. And, they're all decently tough (some gave The Hulk trouble), so they shouldn't end up cannon fodder.
Thank you, Gold Guy. I'll look them up.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Its hours later, so you probably already found them, Yojimbo, but here is a helpful page on them!

They're all pretty cool, but IMO, they should be saved for Avengers 5 or whenever Thanos fights the heroes. That way, we can have a Bleach type situation where the big guns fight Thanos, and the rest of the heroes fight the Black Order. That would be some climax!

Dudley

Staff member
Finally saw the film yesterday. Though good points were raised, about the characters, I feel that Gamora was the weakest one. I don't think we saw enough of her being "the deadliest woman in the universe". Drax was hilarious, Quill, was awesome (especially challenging Ronan to that dance-off), and Rocket and Groot were amazing. They felt like actual characters that felt important to the plot and weren't there for comedy relief, or for the kiddies.

GOTG was never a franchise I wanted to see get made into a movie. Heck, I haven't even heard of the characters until Rocket appeared in UMvC 3, but I think it's great that they managed to make such a great film with an obscure property, and it shows the world that Marvel has much MUCH more to offer than just their heavy-hitters. Look forward to see the sequel (and hoping to see if they can squeeze in some more Howard the Duck in the future!)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Its hours later, so you probably already found them, Yojimbo, but here is a helpful page on them!

They're all pretty cool, but IMO, they should be saved for Avengers 5 or whenever Thanos fights the heroes. That way, we can have a Bleach type situation where the big guns fight Thanos, and the rest of the heroes fight the Black Order. That would be some climax!
Yeah, they sound like a formidable force. Hope to see them in the MCU.

Is Whedon alleged to have done any rewrite work on this? Some of anarchic irreverence of the dialogue feels like him.
Yeah, he's done work on the script. Should be easy enough to find an article about it on Google.

the greenman

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. So many earmarks of quality fun entertainment. The complete opposite of how I felt after Man of Steel. As I've mentioned before Marvel simply taps into the old Hollywood style of what entertainment is, and not taking itself so serious, especially for a Comic Book Movie. The sooner WB/DC gets that, the better.

The soundtrack nearly got people standing up dancing themselves like in a real concert. I think that was one of the successes. I was very critical of Sly Cooper playing Rocket, and my fears were laid to rest. I should've guessed after I saw him in American Hustle earlier this year. The plot thickens with the Infinity plot, but I think Marvel needs to be careful about treading into territory where we see the bad guy and start rolling our eyes. He's not Dr. Doom or anything but he needs to surprise us. Honestly, if anyone knows a comicbook villain, they operate behind the scenes, but once they're hands are forced, so to speak, that's when the real trouble begins. With Thanos, right now, he's that guy. However anyone would agree, Loki appears to be the better developed of the two.

For some reason, I thought his mother might be Moondragon, and even thought I saw Moondragon at the Collector's place. I caught Howard the Duck immediately. They do need to do a Marvel One-Shot with him. Overall, they really put together a fine ensemble sci-fi action piece in the vein of Star Wars. Very nostalgic too for someone like me in the age group of Peter Quill. Looking forward to more adventures.

reflection01

Disney World announced that Star-Lord and Gamora characters would be appearing at Hollywood Studios during a special event later this month.

They will be the first Marvel characters to appear in the parks. Other characters are off limits due to an old deal between Universal and Marvel.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Went and saw the film last night with my wife. She was hesitant to see it, thought the commercials for it were stupid ("a talking racoon? You want me to go see a film with a talking racoon?").

I loved it, my wife at least liked it. That scene early on in the film where Ronan hammers the guy's head in, and is talking with Gamora and Nebula, after that scene ended, my wife said "I have no idea what's going on and who all of these characters are." I said "If the movie doesn't explain it, I will later." Anyone else feel they flung people in a bit too deep into Marvel universe references that a casual viewer wouldn't catch?

Moving on, I take back what I said in another thread recently: Thanos really does steal the scenes in which he appears. He's well done. I didn't think blue skin would work, but it does. And my wife at least recognized him as the bad guy from the end of Avengers. She also recognized The Collector as the guy from the end of Thor 2.

Wish they would've explained the backstory a bit better - Okay, so Ronan's henchmen were originally supposed to be Badoon, but were changed to Sakaarians (from Planet Hulk in the comics...not that they look anything like the Sakaarians from the comics). So...why isn't Ronan's henchmen the Kree? He's the leader of the Kree, right? And they are all blue skinned....

Also, a little bit more backstory on why the Kree were at war with Xandar (aren't they supposed to be at war with the Skrulls? Oh no, does Marvel not have access to the Skrulls thanks to the Fantastic Four being at Fox?)...so to compensate, they had the Kree at war with Xandar instead, is that it?

Mister Mayhem

Banned
Cohorts,

i felt the same way about this movie as i did with most of the previous marvel flicks; it was decent enough for one viewing but i don't have the need to ever see it again. the comedy got a few chuckles out me especially the moments with drax, gamora and rocket but i didn't really find star lord or groot all that amusing. production values were great but none of the locations or effects truly wowed me. the story and action scenes weren't memorable and the villains were as generic as ever. in terms of ranking of the mcu i would place it above the iron man sequels and maybe thor 2 but that's about it.

one minor nitpick is that there seemed like there were too many normal human background characters on that planet but i haven't read a lot of marvel comics so i'm assuming that's true to the source material.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Went and saw the film last night with my wife. She was hesitant to see it, thought the commercials for it were stupid ("a talking racoon? You want me to go see a film with a talking racoon?").

I loved it, my wife at least liked it. That scene early on in the film where Ronan hammers the guy's head in, and is talking with Gamora and Nebula, after that scene ended, my wife said "I have no idea what's going on and who all of these characters are." I said "If the movie doesn't explain it, I will later." Anyone else feel they flung people in a bit too deep into Marvel universe references that a casual viewer wouldn't catch?

Moving on, I take back what I said in another thread recently: Thanos really does steal the scenes in which he appears. He's well done. I didn't think blue skin would work, but it does. And my wife at least recognized him as the bad guy from the end of Avengers. She also recognized The Collector as the guy from the end of Thor 2.

Wish they would've explained the backstory a bit better - Okay, so Ronan's henchmen were originally supposed to be Badoon, but were changed to Sakaarians (from Planet Hulk in the comics...not that they look anything like the Sakaarians from the comics). So...why isn't Ronan's henchmen the Kree? He's the leader of the Kree, right? And they are all blue skinned....

Also, a little bit more backstory on why the Kree were at war with Xandar (aren't they supposed to be at war with the Skrulls? Oh know, does Marvel not have access to the Skrulls thanks to the Fantastic Four being at Fox?)...so to compensate, they had the Kree at war with Xandar instead, is that it?

I'm glad your wide enjoyed it, its always nice to see non-comic fans enjoy a good CBM. Also glad you liked Thanos; as a fan of his, I thought he was done well.

With the Skrull question, FOX has them, so that was out. With the Kree question....yeah, I was wondering why Ronan didnt seem to have any Kree soldiers. But, I hear that
some may appear in Agents of SHIELD, though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Anyone else feel they flung people in a bit too deep into Marvel universe references that a casual viewer wouldn't catch?
Seeing it in a theater versus seeing it on your own device with a pause button are two different beasts. I don't think casual viewers of these movies would catch general Marvel references in any of the movies other than the really obvious ones. Plus, people still left in this movie before the end credits teaser, even after all the previous movies had them.

They mentioned Ronan was a renegade zealot so he was acting on his own, not on behalf of the Kree. That's why the Kree ambassador didn't want to do anything about Ronan when Nova Prime asked him. They're politically distanced from him. It's too bad with the rights since Badoon had a cameo on a Thor: The Dark World Prelude comic and the Skrull had a mention in a Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude comics.

Also, a little bit more backstory on why the Kree were at war with Xandar
Agree with reflection, but granted we have this ongoing continuity, the mention of the war might just be seeding things for later stories.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts