Gross Girls

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
In the midst of all these new animated series from Warner Media, also one completely new Cartoon Network Studios cartoon was announced: Gross Girls.

1613597576548.png

From Cartoon Network Studios with producers Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) and Naomi Scott (Other People) alongside creators Daniela Hamilton and Scott Yacyshyn, Gross Girls is a smart, sophisticated animated comedy about Chuck and Zoey, two best friends trying to survive middle school without losing any of their trademark stinky, hairy, mad science-y grossness. In spite of jerky brothers, judgey classmates, and “common decency,” these two girls boost each other up and encourage each other to be 100% themselves. Because with the right best friend, everything is an adventure...even puberty.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but my expectations are pretty low.
This is the only familiar Cartoon Network announced show with the weirdest collaboration of filmmakers: a husband/wife duo of sitcom veteran producers whilst a writer for a Youtube show & an indie horror guy are the creators. Guess we know how the pandemic affected our little corner of Hollywood.

JTOONSAnimation

Well compared to a lot of CN Studios shows from the 2010's, this one's design looks different, I'll give it that. With all of the upcoming Cartoon Network/HBO Max shows, I feel like this one's going to be buried under the others.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
And I thought I gave The Loud House/Casagrandes a hard time, admittedly enough. At least both look good and have good episodes when they want to, which this look or sound like it will for me.

Something tells I'm not gonna like this one, especially after reading all of that..... Most of the talent on it have little to no experience making cartoons worth a damn, unlike some people I'm used to, because they have actual experiences in doing so that are worth said damn.

This feels like one last grasp at something CN is clearly losing that HBOMax can have and dominate, because so far, they actually know what they're doing when it comes to cartoons worth watching (IMHO) - that being, first and foremost... NOT talking down to your audience, which this sounds like it is not only at risk of doing, but likely will do, unfortunately.

Yes sir, I'll be waiting with low expectations. Whatever this show is seeking out to do, Clarence and definitely Craig of the Creek have done better by now (again, IMHO) - and that's not counting Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe (which I otherwise don't like, sadly), etc. .....

Last edited:

Zanneck

I have a feeling that this show would be a lot more hated if it came out in mid 2010s.
Yeah, pretty much this..... But definitely a lot more beloved in the 90's or early 2000's, in which shows like this actually dominated the Western animation scene. Too bad if it were an anime, it would be beloved unconditionally, instead of open to fair and valid criticism like all shows need to be, no matter what.

No matter what the internet tells you, nothing should be safe from valid criticism. Nothing. Equal opportunity means equal opportunity to succeed or fail, in fail is what this show will unfortunately and likely do. The end.

ShadowBeast

The title and image alone are reasons not to even bother seeing this show. I was never a fan of gross shows shows like Ren and Stimpy, and this show definitely gives off a Ren and Stimpy vibe to it with the grossness.

Zanneck

This is the only familiar Cartoon Network announced show with the weirdest collaboration of filmmakers: a husband/wife duo of sitcom veteran producers whilst a writer for a Youtube show & an indie horror guy are the creators. Guess we know how the pandemic affected our little corner of Hollywood.
This pretty much can be interpreted as "People with no experience on how to make actually good cartoons like Kid Cosmic, for example", then. Tracking loud and clear.

That also means even lower expectations for this show from me, as of right now, honestly.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
This pretty much can be interpreted as "People with no experience on how to make actually good cartoons like Kid Cosmic, for example", then. Tracking loud and clear.
I want new perspectives. Cartoon Network desperately needs that instead of all these spiritual successors and spinoffs to early 2010s shows.

Zanneck

I want new perspectives. Cartoon Network desperately needs that instead of all these spiritual successors and spinoffs to early 2010s shows.
THAT is True, and I won't argue against that. IMHO, they gotta do better than this, however. I want them to, just like you and anyone else, even if we don't agree with each other on this show being a hit for this regime, but whatever.

AnimatedFan01

I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but my expectations are pretty low.
Likewise. The title made it sound promising as I thought it could be a show that broke gender stereotypes and have equal appeal to both girls and boys, but the art style looks as uninspired and outlineless as most cartoons released in the past few years, and the science aspect sounded like a major ripoff of Grossology.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I'm not a fan of grossness, BUT I was mildly intrigued when I read the part about mad science-y stuff with girls; that sounded like it might have potential, like a girl-centric Dexter's Lab or something similar--then I got to the part about "surviving middle school". In a word: blech. "Surviving middle school" is one my all-time least favorite premises in fiction, it's been Done. To. Death. Add to that how this is coming from sitcom people who have no prior experience in animation and...needless to say, my bar is set pretty low.

I might, repeat, might check out the opener, but no guarantee I'll continue to watch after that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts