Latest News & Videos

Adam Tyner

Amazing!
Administrator
Oct 22, 2001
Greenville, SC
www.wittydomainname.net
Cover art for the standard 2-disc releases of each movie:

Best Buy is carrying them in metal tins, each with some sort of exclusive extra that's yet to be announced.

SDCC: Grindhouse Gets Cut in Two
Seperate DVD releases for Death Proof and Planet Terror
by Christopher Monfette
July 26, 2007 - The Weinstein Company and Genius Products announced today that the two films that made up the classically under-rated Grindhouse release will hit DVD on two seperate, extended and unrated DVDs.

Quentin Tarantino's serial-killer homage to the old school car chase film, Death Proof will hit shelves with over 30 minutes of additional, never-before-seen footage including the maddening "missing reel" (containing the excised lapdance sequence) as well as a black and white segment in the film's second act. The DVD will hit on September 18, 2007 for a price of $29.95. Features will include:

Finding Quentin's Gals

The Guys of Death Proof

Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike

Introducing Zoe Bell

Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke

Double Dare trailer

International Poster Gallery

Meanwhile, the Robert Rodriguez zombie entry, Planet Terror, will attack with more footage, deleted scenes, a full commentary and the infamous missing reel. That disc will drop on October 16, 2007 for a price of $29.95 and it's features will include:

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Robert Rodriguez

International trailer

Deleted Scenes

Cooking School

10-Minute Film School

The Stunts

The Make-up and Effects

The Badass Babes

The Renegade Guys

The Costumes

The Production Design

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Jul 25, 2006
Livonia, MI
Great, split into two to rob us of more money. Looks like they'll definately be solid releases though, and I'll finally get to SEE them since they left my theaters so quickly.

Hades

Mar 6, 2003
Jonesville, Va
Wow, that is so freaking cheap I am boycotting this release. If we aren't getting them together, then I will not support it. I'll netflix them so I can see them, but that is wrong on so many levels.

Draft

Apr 9, 2005
New England
Your suprised at this?

Grindhouse FAILED at the box office. It came in at least 42 million underbudget(according to box office mojo), so seperating the releases make a lot of sense

horror ain't my thing..

Adam Tyner

Amazing!
Administrator
Oct 22, 2001
Greenville, SC
www.wittydomainname.net
Nothing about an HD-DVD release then, right?
Not yet, but The Weinstein Company has never released an HD DVD day-and-date. They've always lagged at least a couple months behind. The person who snapped those photos asked about an HD DVD or Blu-ray release, and the response was that they're considering a high-def release later this year.

Robin2099

Jul 4, 2001
Visit site
That's lame their not at least selling them in a box set. And for that matter, the trailers but be on each disk at least as easter eggs.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Man... I was afraid this would happen. Grindhouse just isn't the same if you're not watching the two movies back to back. True, once October rolls around, if you REALLY wanted to you could swap disks inbetween films but it's a pain, and even if you do that, you miss out on the fake trailers and theater ads.

And speaking of fake trailers... unless I happened to misread, they aren't even included, are they? If so, that really sucks.

Golgo13

Sup?
Jan 16, 2005
Minnesota
Hopefully, next year, we'll get the original cut on a special edition DVD with commentary from both the directors.

But if not, then I'm proud that I had the chance to see Grindhouse the way it was intended in the theaters. It was an experience I'll never forget. Yeah, Planet Terror and Death Proof are great movies on their own, but the whole experience was the real fun of the films. If you didn't see it, you missed out on one of the greatest cinematic events since the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Jul 25, 2006
Livonia, MI
Wow, that is so freaking cheap I am boycotting this release. If we aren't getting them together, then I will not support it. I'll netflix them so I can see them, but that is wrong on so many levels.
Yeah, but don't say that it was unexpected.

Hopefully, next year, we'll get the original cut on a special edition DVD with commentary from both the directors.

But if not, then I'm proud that I had the chance to see Grindhouse the way it was intended in the theaters. It was an experience I'll never forget. Yeah, Planet Terror and Death Proof are great movies on their own, but the whole experience was the real fun of the films. If you didn't see it, you missed out on one of the greatest cinematic events since the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I wanted to...lucky bastard :D.

Michael24

Staff member
Feb 2, 2004
Frankly, I'm surprised they released the films separately. It's not like it's impossible to fit a three hour movie on one DVD.

In any event, I had pretty much no interest in the film, though I may rent Death Proof just because I'm a big Kurt Russell fan, even if he is in a movie directed by one of the most overrated directors ever.

Jin Kazama

Hawkguy
Staff member
Jun 26, 2002
Somewhere Around Here..
I wouldn't put too much money on it being re-released with both films. People said the same thing about Kill Bill, but that never came about.

If you're lucky, you might get a "2-for-whatever" deal once both come out. I'll probably just wait on that. I'm sure not paying full price for both.

It's like I told people about the film. It's two great films that if you saw them on your own, you'd be only mildly impressed, but if you see them together, you get your money's worth. That theory holds to the DVDs.

Aug 27, 2005
This isn't funny you guys
Dear god that's a freaking ripoff.
However, I know for a fact it won't be like $30 everywhere, but if I had to pick one (especially now that we know the features) it seems like Planet Terror is the way to go. Also, I wonder how will the trailers be done.
Also, Han:
September 18th for Death Proof, October 16th for Planet Terror.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brandon the man The Entertainment Board 2
Vyse The Entertainment Board 39