Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Reactions: Frontier

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I am not sure how that would work, I like the Gremlin movies, but there is not much you can do with the premise, its why the second film is a parody of the first, Gizmo getting sprayed with water, creating more Mogwais, that turn into Gremlins and they go on a rampage till Gizmo and Billy Peltzer kill them. Lather, rinse, repeat. You have to add a lot of stuff to justify an ongoing cartoon series, like, I don't know, some human villain who wants to use the Gremlins for some sinister purpose.

I also don't know who this cartoon would be aimed at, the films have very different tones from each other (the first was more horror and the second was a straight-up comedy) and Gremlins was one of those films that helped create the PG-13 rating, so its not the most adult orientated franchise ever, but its not the most kid-friendly franchise either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ShadowBeast

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Okay, I guess I didn't read that part of the original post. Sorry about that. It was posted here, so I just assumed.

My bad... :(

In any case, I'm going to say it. I hope this will be a family series that will be at least "for ages 7 and up" (since this is based on the two movies) if you catch my meaning*. Also, if this is supposed to be a prequel, then there will be problems if this show suddenly has (modern) cell phones or the (modern) internet. A young Mr. Wing? It would then have to be set in something like the 1930s or 1940s or something, if not even earlier than that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I like the idea that it not only expands on the franchise but tells the story of Wing and Gizmo, something I always wondered about, and more about the history of the Gremlins, maybe even their origins. Since it's a period piece, it could even tie into Futterman's WW2 encounter with Gremlins.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Okay, I guess I didn't read that part of the original post. Sorry about that. It was posted here, so I just assumed.

My bad... :(

In any case, I'm going to say it. I hope this will be a family series that will be at least "for ages 7 and up" (since this is based on the two movies) if you catch my meaning*. Also, if this is supposed to be a prequel, then there will be problems if this show suddenly has (modern) cell phones or the (modern) internet. A young Mr. Wing? It would then have to be set in something like the 1930s or 1940s or something, if not even earlier than that...
There still was some scary imagery in the first film. Like Gremlins attacking Mrs. Peltzer in her house and her killing them in rather brutal ways (sticking one in a blender, cooking one in a microwave, beheading one and kicking its head into the fireplace), that first film had its moments and the Gremlins did play for keeps sometimes, they killed a couple of people in that film.

A period piece is an interesting idea. I wonder if they would have Frank Welker come back to voice the Gremlins or have Dee Baker do it?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
Also, if this is supposed to be a prequel, then there will be problems if this show suddenly has (modern) cell phones or the (modern) internet. A young Mr. Wing? It would then have to be set in something like the 1930s or 1940s or something, if not even earlier than that...
The article says it will be a period piece, so it likely won't have modern technology.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
The bits about other Chinese myths appearing was intriguing. I recall there was one train of thought that Mogwai were the product of a panda and a dragon. The bit about an industrialist amassing an army of evil Gremlins is a head scratcher without more context. Like why are these Gremlins following the orders of a human? Does he have some way of restraining them? etc.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The bits about other Chinese myths appearing was intriguing. I recall there was one train of thought that Mogwai were the product of a panda and a dragon. The bit about an industrialist amassing an army of evil Gremlins is a head scratcher without more context. Like why are these Gremlins following the orders of a human? Does he have some way of restraining them? etc.
It's probably like Frankenstein and he DOESN'T have any way to control them. One of the biggest themes of the movies is that nobody followed the rules of the Gremlins. I see the same thing happening on the cartoon.

One question I have is how Gizmo would be named Gizmo in a prequel. Mr. Peltzer gave him that name.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com