Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Reboot" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - GLTAS "Reboot"

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Check out an all-new episode of the acclaimed Green Lantern: The Animated Series on DC Nation!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
October 6th, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#15 Reboot"

Hal tries to reassemble the team in order to take on a new threat- the Anti-Monitor.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary, though avoid successive posting. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Dragnatek

This episode was great. I loved the Hal vs C'hp battle as well as the whole Aya breakout. Too bad C'hp did not remain a part of the team. Oh and nice cliffhanger.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Great episode :D
Nice to see more Green Lanterns,My favorite parts are Hal Jordan fighting Ch'p and Lame-O XD

jak d ripr

Poor lame-O, dude got decommissioned ASAP. Anyone else not see that ending coming? I mean obviously he's coming back(or didn't die at all) but I was surprised none the less.

Awesome episode again, can't wait for next week.

McRowdy

Hmm, the Guardians still run a pretty janky business which is pretty interesting. I can relate a bit to having a boss you don't quite like but have no choice but to work under anyways. I like it.

It seems the animators are really getting use to the tools at their hands in these last two episodes we've seen a host of different constructs. Tritons, grinders, Hal's thunder thighs, springboards, and others. Love to see what it'll be like in a season 3.

One thing I was wondering is was that Scar that was trying to dissect Aya?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What a pleasant surprise it was to see so many GL guest stars - Tomar-Re, Ch'p, Larvox, and Chaselon!

Guess we won't see Razer for awhile. "Sabbatical"? It would make sense he would go back to the Forgotten Zone unless Hal was using a euphemism. Razer did help kill a bunch of Green Lanterns before he met Hal and Kilowog...that probably wouldn't go unpunished by the Guardians.

Hmm. Maybe. But I think the voice credits had her listed as 'Director of Science' so just her title.

Whelp, Hal's dead, time to bring in Guy Gardner full time.
lol, nah, the lead can't die. Based on what we know
Hal's going to end up in a parallel universe in next week's episode
Man, Hal vs. C'hp....that is all.
Yes, best fight ever.

The Dark Lord

Awesome episode!

Nice to see all the new characters: Tomar-Re, Ch'p, Larvox and Chaselon. Ch'p in particular: beating the [tar] out of Hal was awesome and hilarious, and agreeing to help Hal and Kilowog get Aya back was pretty sweet. :) I really liked Chaselon and his interaction with Hal, even if it was a distraction; I hope the two get to interact more often! :) And the other distraction, Kilowog screaming at Larvox, was freakin hilarious. :D

The bit where "Lame-O" was about to be dissected was pretty funny, especially when the Guardian assumed that his denial was a ploy to evade dissection. :p

Nice that they got Aya back, and in her AI form; I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of her getting a body. Her concern for Razer was pretty sweet and sad at the same time.

And Hal Jordan dead? Nah, not buying it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Geodude

Aya's reaction when told of Razer's "sabbatical" was way too cute. It's amazing how much emotion they can make that eyeball thing display. Loved her moments here. "I am on it." She's come a long way, hasn't she?

Ch'p was cool, and I'd never heard of that Chaselon guy before.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This was another awesome episode. Apparently a week has passed since the last episode and Hal together with Tomar-Re have been patrolling the Universe as members of the Honor Guard until they come across a temple with Manhunters inside, similar to the one we saw last time, on Earth. Believing there are many other sleeper cells such as these, the Guardians agree to send Hal investigate this matter further. But for this, Hal's going to need some help, meaning the return of Kilowog and Aya, as well as the Interceptor ship and this time the heroes have permission to use it. I would have liked to see Razer return too, but I'm sure we'll see him again at some point and I guess that adding him here would have been too much for a single episode. But I wonder where he is or what he's up to; according to Hal, he's on a sabbatical, though that might have been just an excuse he came up with to tell Aya.

Kilowog was in fine shape here; pretty much all his scenes were awesome. Since the end of the previous season he's gone back to his job as a drill instructor for Green Lanterns, which is "precious", as Hal puts it. While he claims to be happy with his job and doesn't really want to join Hal on his new mission, Kilowog does agree to have a wager: if Hal manages to defeat his top recruit he'll come back to the team. Enter Ch'p, a small anthropomorphic squirrel wearing a power ring and apparently Kilowog's best student. The fight between Hal and Ch'p was awesome - as well as hilarious. Seeing the little squirrel beating Hal so easily was a real treat. Even though Hal lost, Kilowog agrees to accompany him on his mission, mentioning that he was planning on going anyway, but that he just wanted to see Hal fight the squirrel. Something which I'm guessing pretty much every viewer out there should thank him for. I was hoping Ch'p would join their mission as well, just like Tomar-Re apparently has.

Getting Aya back was a bit trickier - she was replaced as the AI system for the Interceptor with another, annoying system (whose name I didn't understand or even know how to type), dubbed Lame-O by Hal. And with good reason: he lacks any of the charm Aya has. They soon learn Aya was about to be dissected so they have to start a rescue operation, a pretty awesome one at that. Kilowog provides a distraction for the Green Lantern guard (Larvox) by staging a surprise inspection. That was pretty funny. Meanwhile, Hal distracts another Green Lantern, this time I'm guessing a sort of scientist, Chaselon. Hal using the secret identity of Sir Jetsalot (or however you spell it) keeps him busy in a pretty hilarious way; they seemed to bond pretty well in that short scene and while Hal was mostly lying to him, I hope to see more of Chaselon. He seemed pretty cool. Meanwhile Ch'p sneaks in and replaces Aya's data core with Lame-O's. Aya is returned to the ship, but without a body, at least for now. I doubt she'll get a redesign in the next episodes but her old body would be good enough. Also, she's been reactivated for like two seconds, and the first thing she asks about is, where is Razer. Not too surprising, considering how their "relationship" developed during the first season. Though I wonder why exactly the Guardians were planning on dissecting her in the first place and I'm guessing that as soon as they realize they were tricked Hal will be in even more trouble.

The Manhunter temples we saw here and in the previous episode are revealed to actually be factories, where the Manhunters are being built. The heroes track the signal that reactivated the androids to the planet Biot, where they have to fight a seemingly endless army of Manhunters, but they manage to escape with Aya's help. But then they come face to face with the Anti-Monitor who reveals that his Manhunters slaves are there to aid him on his mission of destruction; he plans to reduce all planets to anti-matter, which he will then feast on. He turns his attention on the Green Lanterns he sees and proves to be much too powerful for all of them. And the episode ends with a pretty awesome cliffhanger, with Hal getting caught in Anti-Monitor's blast and getting evaporated, apparently sacrificing himself so that the others could escape. It should be obvious to anyone he didn't die, but we don't know yet what exactly happened to him.

Overall, it was an awesome episode. We got to meet a couple of more cool Green Lanterns (some I never heard of before), some cool action scenes but also some pretty hilarious moments as well. Probably the best mix of action and comedy this show offered us so far. Definitely looking forward to the next episodes - just like during the first season, this show just keeps getting better and better and I find myself enjoying it more and more.

Geodude

Though I wonder why exactly the Guardians were planning on dissecting her in the first place and I'm guessing that as soon as they realize they were tricked Hal will be in even more trouble.
1) No doubt to try to figure out exactly how she had become so sentient.
2) All Hal would have to do in that case would be to say that he was just doing what he was given permission to do: assemble a small team. He wanted Aya on that team, so he did what he had to.

wind

Great episode overall, but is anyone else concerned how the Guardians are treating their sentient computers? Why would they want to dissect a clearly sentient machine who helped save them from the Red Lanterns? Also how Hal and Killowog sacrificed that other computer just because it was not Aya?

I am glad she is back and all, but it was kind of a [jerk] move still on Hal's part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geodude

Why is everyone assuming "Lame-O" was "sacrificed"? Once that Guardian realized it really wasn't Aya she would've had no reason to continue. And just because one AI developed sentience doesn't mean any others are also, that's kinda ridiculous to assume.

No doubt we'll be hearing a lot more from the Guardians about this soon.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The cameos made this episode, and the Anti-Moniter is an interesting villain. The ending...

Frontier

Staff member
Another great episode.

I guess Tomar-Re is going to take Razer's place on the team until he comes back, though I can't imagine it'll be for very long. In any case, it's nice to see him finally get an appearance in animation that doesn't amount to just a cameo. I can only hope that this battle with the Anti-Monitor ends better for him than it did in the comics...

Scar instantly popped into my head when I saw the Guardian dissecting Aya was another female. She's the only other female Guardian in the comics, so I can see it being her. And establishing Scar early on will pay off if and when they adapt Blackest Night.

I thought it was really nice that the show finally gave names to those members of the Green Lantern Corps. who you always see in group shots but are never named like Larvox, Chaselon, and Ch'p. Seriously, when the Green Lantern Corps. gets appearances in animation you almost always see those guys but they never get named... until now that is. I really hope Chaselon becomes a recurring character, if only just to see Hal struggle under being his only "friend" Sir Jetsalot.

Speaking of Chaselon, I just learned that Tom Kenney, who voiced him here, also plays Anti-Monitor. Talk about playing against type...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I guess Tomar-Re is going to take Razer's place on the team until he comes back, though I can't imagine it'll be for very long. In any case, it's nice to see him finally get an appearance in animation that doesn't amount to just a cameo. I can only hope that this battle with the Anti-Monitor ends better for him than it did in the comics...
Episode 14 had Guy Gardner as a guest star. This episode was Tomar-Re. Both are Green Lanterns. Without spoiling anything. Looks to be a GL guest star of the week pattern. It will be neat if/when Razer is thrown into the mix, they got to get the band together again after all. Plus, considering how we seem to be building up to big galactic war against tons of Manhunters led by Anti-Monitor, it is prudent to create CG assets early on and make the most of it for the season finale run. I would guess all the GL's we're meeting this season will all return in the last two or three episodes of this season.

Therilith

Great episode overall, but is anyone else concerned how the Guardians are treating their sentient computers? Why would they want to dissect a clearly sentient machine who helped save them from the Red Lanterns? Also how Hal and Killowog sacrificed that other computer just because it was not Aya?

I am glad she is back and all, but it was kind of a [jerk] move still on Hal's part.

I agree. My first reaction when I saw him disconnect Lenos was basically: "Wait... He's not just going to switch them and leave him to die, right?"
Sentient computers generally get a pretty raw deal in fiction, but since the entire point of that part of the episode was to save another AI who they clearly valued as an equal rather than an appliance or convenience, it seems quite strange for them to be willing to doom Lenos to a probably-unpleasant-and-almost-certainly-fatal fate just because he was sort of annoying. He wasn't even a jerk or anything, just annoying.

Unless Hal and Kilowog don't actually care about either of them and they just decided to switch Lenos for Aya because "she" was their favorite, sort of like how one might have a favorite t-shirt or a toaster that works really well.

One can't really assume that Hal knew that the Guardians would find out about the switch either. Even if it turns out in a later episode that they did, he had no way of knowing that for certain. That makes his actions highly irresponsible. Besides, the whole point of switching the AI cores in Ayas body seems to have been to trick the guardian doing the dissection into thinking that it was still Ayas AI. Otherwise Hal could have just grabbed her core and stashed Lenos in a sock drawer or left him outside the lab or something.

The guardians doing what they did bother me less because they are sort of supposed to be morally ambiguous "the ends justify the means no matter what"-types. Hal is supposed to be a good guy though, and he didn't even seem to care about what would happen to Lenos as a direct result of his actions.

This turned into a bit of a rant, but I just watched the episode and was pretty annoyed by that part of it.

PretenderNX01

I kind of wondered if she was the one who would become Scar. It seemed she had the colder personality. My guess is they gave Sayd hair to make her stand out against something like the Guardian.

Not that all bald people are cruel, LOL.
Why would they want to dissect a clearly sentient machine who helped save them from the Red Lanterns?

I'm not sure how many of the Guardian were involved in studying Aya- but the female there did say something about it being time to end the AI experiment once and for all.

Maybe this is the start of divisions within the ranks.

I agree. My first reaction when I saw him disconnect Lenos was basically: "Wait... He's not just going to switch them and leave him to die, right?"

I don't think Lame-O was meant to be a truly sentient AI. I figured since he couldn't even fly the ship, he was just a simulation the Guardians cobbled together to claim it was filling in for Aya.

"He" was less refined, being represented by a cube, and didn't show any sense of fear or concern in Aya's body. Pretty much could have called him MS-DOS compared to Aya.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't think Lame-O was meant to be a truly sentient AI. I figured since he couldn't even fly the ship, he was just a simulation the Guardians cobbled together to claim it was filling in for Aya.

"He" was less refined, being represented by a cube, and didn't show any sense of fear or concern in Aya's body. Pretty much could have called him MS-DOS compared to Aya.
Yeah, basically. Here's what Volpe had to say about LANOS/Lame O
LANOS was supposed to be a really bad, non sentient AI. (Sort of like a glitchy GPS or something). I feel bad that fans pitied him
we were trying to make him really annoying but he played so funny! Sorta worked against us
the intent (whether it was clear or not) was that Hal thought his precious living Aya was replaced by a dumb computer program
Had Hal in any way thought he was alive, he would have never made the switch with Aya. That just not what a hero would do

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts