Green Lantern: The Animated Series "...In Love and War" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "...In Love and War"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The countdown to the season finale begins here! Check out the all-new episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series today at 10:00am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
April 28th, 2012 at 10:00am (ET/PT) - "#9 ...In Love and War"

The Green Lanterns save a different type of Lantern from an invading space monster. Grateful for their rescue, the Star Sapphires, whose power comes from love, invite everyone to their homeworld. It turns out, however, that the whole thing was a set-up to drain the Lanterns’ power rings by encasing them in crystals.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary, though avoid successive posting. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Afalstein

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as I was hoping. After all the buildup we've gotten with the Frontier being so far out that even Green Lantern travel takes a couple months, we discover that the Star Sapphires can just warp in and out of there? And Carol Ferris hops over to Zamarron just long enough to say "Go get 'em, tiger" and warp back out? I guess I was just hoping that it would be a bit more.. far reaching than that. That either Carol would already a SS when they arrived, or that she would stay on as one after they left. The ability of SS to suddenly warp ANY GL girlfriend to their homeworld just seems too easy, and frankly a little cheap.

However, the prejudice the SS showed against Aya was interesting. Very much in character, and another play on the "emotionless machine" thing--which she clearly is not. Have to say, though, security on Zamarron sucks, they just left her alone after they left with Razer.

Also found the Zamarron's comment about how things are more "peaceful and loving when only women are in charge" to be hilarious. Clearly Zamarrron has problems of its own, and if Carol's reaction is any indication, things can get awfully violent there as well. Like an intergalactic cat fight.

The SS decision at the end was interesting, and Galatea (or however you spell her name) is still with the Star Sapphires. We'll almost definitely see these girls again.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Great episode :anime:
Nice to see the Star Sapphires Corps in the show along with Carol as Star Sapphire
I enjoy the funny scenes like "How many Colored Lanterns are there!" XD

Afalstein

Great episode :anime:
Nice to see the Star Sapphires Corps in the show along with Carol as Star Sapphire
I enjoy the funny scenes like "How many Colored Lanterns are there!" XD

"It's like friggin' Walt Disney threw up around here!" -Guy Gardner.

It DOES seem awfully convenient that all the other Lantern Corps groups are in the exact same frontier sector and not, say, on the other side of the galaxy. Then again, maybe that's where Sinestro is.

By the way, did anyone else notice how Carol's hair magically got longer as a Star Sapphire?

Master Toon

- Am I the only one who noticed how big all of the Star Sapphires' breasts are? I couldn't stop staring at them.

- Wasn't there already an episode about Carol being a Star Sapphire or did I just create that in my mind? Please tell me I'm not losing it.

- Does anyone else just love Aya? Not in the freaky fanboy way but as a good character?

Wonderwall

Staff member
- Am I the only one who noticed how big all of the Star Sapphires' breasts are? I couldn't stop staring at them.

- Wasn't there already an episode about Carol being a Star Sapphire or did I just create that in my mind? Please tell me I'm not losing it.

- Does anyone else just love Aya? Not in the freaky fanboy way but as a good character?

In this show? No this is the first time we have seen Carol becoming Star Sapphire. So you might need to go get checked out;)

But yea Aya is awesome. The cast is all really likable but she's probably my favorite.

Riddler

LOVED this episode!! My favorite one so far. Great character development. Awesome animation. And the star sapphires are hot!!!

I loved the dialogue between Hal and Carol. Wonder what's gonna happen with Kilowog's girlfriend...

Master Toon

In this show? No this is the first time we have seen Carol becoming Star Sapphire. So you might need to go get checked out;)

You know what? I'm getting this confused with that Batman: TBATB episode. LOL. I feel so silly now.

But yea Aya is awesome. The cast is all really likable but she's probably my favorite.

Mine too. :)

NBM05

I really enjoyed this episode and gave it 5 stars on the poll. The only thing that made giving it 5 stars hard was not being able to give the new episode of YJ an even higher rating. Both shows were great today.

hugo

Great episode ! :))

I am sure we will see the Star Sapphires again, and that - in one way or another - Carol's help will be required.

Is Gi'ata (queen Aga'po's niece) a character created specifically for the show ? Anyway her development should be really interesting.

Now it would be a good idea for the Hal team to not forget they have an imminent Red Lantern war to deal with, and that they are still only four for that little task.

Anyway, I'm sure all the allies (or potential ones) met during those episodes (Iolande, Mogo, Saint Walker, (some of) the Star Sapphires, perhaps even Hawkman) will be the last minute-gathered army of Hal, when Oa will be invaded and - or course - all the non-frontier Lanterns + the Guardians will be trapped by Atrocitus & his guys...

Wonderwall

Staff member
I think this is my favorite episode just for Aya looking totally awesome in the fights:D. What a way to test out her repairs. I never actually thought about her physical form before and how it was having a subliminal effect on Razer. That's pretty neat little plot point that I will probably pop up in future episodes.

And it was good to see that although Hal is a flirt he isn't a cheat. I was wondering how deep his feelings for Carol( and hers for him ) and this episode really showed how much he really loved her. And Jen Hale for a second straight week on a superhero show is always aces in my book.

I feel bad for Kilowag. When he isn't getting his butt kicked he's getting his girlfriend brainwashed into crazy man hating Star Sapphire. Guy can't catch a break. There was also some really nice camera shots in this one. I notice they are starting to get a bit more creative with the use of camera, staging, animation, and all that jazz.

ndb

Young Justice might be getting all the press, but as far as I'm concerned, this episode was better! Definitely the best of the series. I'm glad to hear the true definiton of love, actually being explained in a cartoon. It's putting someone's desires above your own, not, um, well, what other shows protray it as.

More character development, great animation, this is definitely my favorite cartoon on now.

jph139

Immortal
Solid episode. Hal resisting what's-her-name's charms was fun; a simple episode but a good one. Definitely the series' strength. Interesting that they more or less directly continued from the last one, though.

The Star Sapphires were certainly... wowza. Quite the outfits - definitely comic accurate, to say the least. I was hoping they were a little less evil, but I imagine they will be once the niece ends up in charge (or forms a splinter group). I expect they'll pitch in against the Red Menace.

Razer and Aya's relationship continues to get weird... she's modeled after his dead wife? Jeez, that's one way to make things weird. Some great action with her, though - I don't remember seeing her in the thick of things before this, but it interesting animation.

And I'll admit, part of me was hoping Carol would keep the ring and join the crew. That would have been rad.

Monte

You might be thinking of the clip from wonder-con; the one that first showed us Saint walker, star saphire and the thanagarians

It DOES seem awfully convenient that all the other Lantern Corps groups are in the exact same frontier sector and not, say, on the other side of the galaxy. Then again, maybe that's where Sinestro is.

Ya that kind of bugs me a bit too... i mean based on the map we saw in the first episode there should be a very long distance between green lanturns out on the frontier and the interceptor no longer has the warp drive capable of traveling that fast...

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as I was hoping. After all the buildup we've gotten with the Frontier being so far out that even Green Lantern travel takes a couple months, we discover that the Star Sapphires can just warp in and out of there? And Carol Ferris hops over to Zamarron just long enough to say "Go get 'em, tiger" and warp back out? I guess I was just hoping that it would be a bit more.. far reaching than that. That either Carol would already a SS when they arrived, or that she would stay on as one after they left. The ability of SS to suddenly warp ANY GL girlfriend to their homeworld just seems too easy, and frankly a little cheap.
Yes I found that EXTREMELY annoying. I mean the guardians went though this whole trouble of creating a super fast ship that could get to the frontier in minutes and then the starfire's show instant teleportation... honestly it just really, really bothers me. And what makes it worse is the fact that it was only so they could drag carol to the otherside of the galaxy for ONE episode... Everything they did with the star saphires was great, but the inclusion of Carol feels almost like it was just a shout out to the fans; "we can't have star saphires without Carol Ferris". I mean i guess i can say i'm glad they finally addressed the fact that Hal would not be able to return home anytime soon, where as its been ignored up to this point; but i just feel like their could have been better ways to go about it. Frankly i think this episode would have been perfect without Carol... if they wanted to get Carol into a star saphire outfit, maybe they could have waited until the show brought us back to earth.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was slightly disappointed they didn't play with the Star Sapphires being the flip side of the Red Lantern Corps (like the Green Lanterns and Sinestro Corps in the comics) and seeing Razer having a hard time using his ring. But I think I might have misread that fact. I did like the open ended nature of the Star Sapphires. Will they still be enemies or will they help Hal fight the Reds?

Also, man Kilowog can't catch a break! His home planet destroyed, family gone, stuck in Frontier Space with Hal, and know his new girlfriend indoctrinated into another Corps who then traps him in a crystal that siphons his love into violet energy.

Yes I found that EXTREMELY annoying. I mean the guardians went though this whole trouble of creating a super fast ship that could get to the frontier in minutes and then the starfire's show instant teleportation...

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as I was hoping. After all the buildup we've gotten with the Frontier being so far out that even Green Lantern travel takes a couple months, we discover that the Star Sapphires can just warp in and out of there?
I think the problem was they didn't explain well enough they were crystallizing men and stealing their life energy and adding it to theirs. So if they had that whole field of crystallized males, Aga'po could channel enough violet energy to manipulate space time and open the wormhole. I imagine if they start attacking Green Lanterns and Red Lanterns, they'd have enough power to spread Sapphire Rings even further.

The SS decision at the end was interesting, and Galatea (or however you spell her name) is still with the Star Sapphires. We'll almost definitely see these girls again.
The female Maltusians became known as Zamarons and the name of the Sapphire created for the show (Aga'po's niece) was named Ghia'ta.

Tash

Yes I found that EXTREMELY annoying. I mean the guardians went though this whole trouble of creating a super fast ship that could get to the frontier in minutes and then the starfire's show instant teleportation... honestly it just really, really bothers me. And what makes it worse is the fact that it was only so they could drag carol to the otherside of the galaxy for ONE episode... Everything they did with the star saphires was great, but the inclusion of Carol feels almost like it was just a shout out to the fans; "we can't have star saphires without Carol Ferris". I mean i guess i can say i'm glad they finally addressed the fact that Hal would not be able to return home anytime soon, where as its been ignored up to this point; but i just feel like their could have been better ways to go about it. Frankly i think this episode would have been perfect without Carol... if they wanted to get Carol into a star saphire outfit, maybe they could have waited until the show brought us back to earth.
It wasn't just an excuse to get Carol into the plot. It's actually something the rings do in the comics, too.

Otaku-sempai

Worst Mom of the Year

LOVED this episode!! My favorite one so far. Great character development. Awesome animation. And the star sapphires are hot!!!

I loved the dialogue between Hal and Carol. Wonder what's gonna happen with Kilowog's girlfriend...
Speaking of Kilowog's girlfriend, she gets a Star Sapphire ring and forgets all about her kid? What's up with that?

Wonderwall

Staff member
Speaking of Kilowog's girlfriend, she gets a Star Sapphire ring and forgets all about her kid? What's up with that?

The ring seems to have had a mind control effect on new recruits much like how Carol was acting different when she first arrived.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts