Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Beware My Power..., Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - Green Lantern: The Animated Series "Beware My Power"

• Total voters

Azrayel

The show seems great, and it will help me learn more on the Lantern universe.

I feel like Razer should be a yellow or blue lantern somewhere down the show if they do decide to no longer have him as a red lantern. Green just seems to obvious for me.

King_of_doom

kiva fan
It was actually good, at first i thought the CGI of the begining was kinda meh but after a few minutes it started to look good.

Seriously Praise Josh Keaton and learning the news of him voicing Hal Jordan i was like wow how he will voice another icon superhero if he's known of voicing Spider-Man and surprise to hear him doing something different, we already seen that with Flash and Aquaman but with Hal you wouldn't suspect and he nail it pretty well.

Seriously nice choice of picking Jonathan Adams doing the voice of Atrocitus, he did an amazing job at voicing Kang the Conqueror and voicing Atrocitus was really cool. Tom Kenny proves again and again that he can do characters other then Spongebob, especially psycho maniac characters like Zox. I'm surprise to learn Kurtwood Smith voiced Shyir Rev, he usually does the bad guy like in Robocop tho it did had some sarcastic lines but give him credit at the last scene where Shyir s sacrifice was a touching moment.

I'm actually can't wait to see what's next and see more stories with Hal and Kilowog also hoping to see more villains like Sinestro.

r0derix

Was shocked by how much I enjoyed the animation and rarely noticed it. I have always opposed CG for television (budget is too small, often making it look brutal and taking away from the atmosphere, not to mention making it look very dated just a few years down the line) but I was absolutely great with this. Perhaps because of how much I enjoyed the story and voice work. Nonetheless, I should have known better. Never doubt Bruce Timm. Truly an underappreciated genius.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
That was a solid premiere. It gave me just enough to want EVERYTHING. Did anyone else find it weird Hal (and Kilowog) made a point to stress how important a secret identity is to Hal and then have him wear his ring so obviously in front of Carol? Either way, I want more Earth Hal and his Rogues! I want more Oa, Salaak, and the more familiar Lanterns!

But most importantly, I want more space frontier and Red Lanterns. I keep saying Green Lantern is the coolest hero based on visual and powers alone, and this show really knows how to deliver Lantern battles. Hal was the essence of awesome, and even though Kilowog just makes hammers, everyone had their own fighting style. Atrocitus is bad news, he's pretty cool in the comics. I know people want Sinestro, I do too, but would it be too much to ask for Larfleeze?

Sad to see Rev go, but it made for a good high-stakes event to kick off the series in motion. Looking forward to seeing more!

I... Although silly question: Did anyone catch who voiced Salaak? The credits went by way too quickly for me to see.

I don't believe he was listed in the credits.

Not silly at all, I'm wondering who voiced him, Matten, and Rev's family.

Them either. Bleh.

I feel like Razer should be a yellow or blue lantern somewhere down the show if they do decide to no longer have him as a red lantern. Green just seems to obvious for me.

Yellow wouldn't do much for his character if he's on a redemption quest. I could see Green or Blue.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I know people want Sinestro, I do too, but would it be too much to ask for Larfleeze?
No, it wouldn't be too much.

I don't believe he was listed in the credits.

Them either. Bleh.
Ughh! Is that too much to have every role listed?

Yellow wouldn't do much for his character if he's on a redemption quest. I could see Green or Blue.
Rev did tell Razer, "There's always hope." Would be neat if we learn that line had a double meaning later on in the series.

There is unconfirmed news
the Manhunters are the main villains of the second half of season one from The Site That Cannot Be Named

Ooh, I hadn't heard about that. Very cool. Now it makes even more sense why they used the Red Lanterns instead of the Sinestro Corps.

Oh, I have no doubt you're right -- I'm just saying that I like the look of Bruce Timm's design style better than of what I've seen so far of that weirdly shaped headed Batman in the promo image for Beware the Batman.

I'm sure there are many who agree. We all have our favorites.

But the nice thing about Batman is, if you don't like the current one, just wait three years and there'll be another completely different one.

This was the official start of the series right not like Young Justice with the special sneak peek. also does anyone know if it will be on demand

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Does anyone know when there will be reruns airing? I was very busy 11.11.11

This was the official start of the series right not like Young Justice with the special sneak peek. also does anyone know if it will be on demand

Just like with the Young Justice sneak peek, this was just a one-time event, and there will not be any reruns or placing in OnDemand (as far as I know) until the official premiere next year.

b.t.

couple things:

voice credits are kept to a minimum for a variety of reasons, too complicated to go into here...but for the record:

M'ten was voiced by Brian George

Salaak was voiced by Tom Kenney

Shyir Rev's wife and daughter were both voiced by Grey DeLisle

also, i'm jazzed that so many of you dug it.....as much as i would love to hog all the credit, seriously, all props to Giancarlo Volpe, who did most of the heavy lifting on the show

one last thing: I'm seeing a lot of pre-emptive strikes against BEWARE THE BATMAN....just keep in mind that up til a few days ago, people were hating on GL:TAS too....just sayin'

ndb

A very cool first ep, and I hope the rest of the season does a fine job of telling this story!

BTW, is this story based off of any particular comic story or is it original?

TemporalFlux

Finally had a chance to watch the premiere, and I was a bit disappointed. The feel of the series was reminiscent of those 90's quest series where the premiere sets up a single dilemma that it takes 13 episodes to resolve (for example, Beast Machines). I've never really cared for that formula; I guess it's because each episode ultimately serves to just drive the quest plot while the "story" of the episode is really just there as filler put in place so that the quest can last 13 episodes.

I guess Timm and Dini spoiled me with the previous series where we just had a new and unique story each week (maybe a two part story here or there); and to be honest, I think that approach is better for the DC characters given that their more than 75 year history is so rich and full of depth. As it stands, I believe that this new Green Lantern series feels more like just a toy commercial.

FightingDreamer

Mutant on the Rise
You realize that it's already been revealed that
Hal and Kilowog won't be stuck the whole season, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

TemporalFlux

You realize that it's already been revealed that
Hal and Kilowog won't be stuck the whole season, right?

Nope; had no idea about that, and I hope that will make a difference. However, that bit of news doesn't change how these first two eps felt to me. I was left feeling that this was going to be a season of Hal, Kilowog and Ia vs. a (possibly growing) set of Red Lanterns over and over again in slightly different scenarios. Whatever the producers' intentions are, that's the product presentation I saw In that Friday premiere.

FightingDreamer

Mutant on the Rise
*shrugs* Guess we'll just agree to disagree, then. I find myself eagerly awaiting where they'll take this story next. Will it involve more fights with Red Lanterns? Of course. It IS an action series created to push merchandise. That doesn't mean the show can't do other, unique things. It all depends on craft.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
couple things:

voice credits are kept to a minimum for a variety of reasons, too complicated to go into here...but for the record:

M'ten was voiced by Brian George

Salaak was voiced by Tom Kenney

Shyir Rev's wife and daughter were both voiced by Grey DeLisle
Thanks, b.t.! M'Ten, so that's how it's spelled.

Ooh, I hadn't heard about that. Very cool. Now it makes even more sense why they used the Red Lanterns instead of the Sinestro Corps.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't post the specific link per forum rules. But it's on my website's News section once you click the link in my signature. It's in the GL:TAS section under December 27, 2010.

Azrayel

As the show progresses and Razer wants continue on his quest I could definaetly see him go blue.

But I also said yellow because (if I am understanding the yellow lantern's emotion correctly) he could overcome his fear of killing civillians. Because don't the power rings choose their owner because they know there is something in them that represents that ring's emotions or is that only for Green Lanterns? Either way I think it'd be cool if he switches colors in the series.

Dudley

Staff member
I had serious doubts about this show, but I can rest easy knowing that this show is going to be AWESOME.
The character designs look great, the animation is fantastic, the action scenes were enjoyable and I'm enjoying the story so far. I never thought Green Lantern could hold a show on its own, but this proved me wrong!

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I'm still not very keen on this show being in CG. Some of the designs I like and I'm OK with, others I find very bland and just don't really pop to me. I think if the show had been traditionally animated I'd find the designs and the show overall would work and look much better.

I really just don't very much like Atrocitus' design.

The storytelling and direction overall is pretty good I think. The premiere got pretty dark and grim at times which I liked. Though I hope they aren't stuck in the whole neutral, outer bounds of space for the entire run of the show.

Were they hinting that the Guardians had a pre-existing knowledge of the Red Lanterns? That's how it came off to me.

The Red Lanterns were basically appropriated into the Sinestro Corp. here. Which is fine with me, since they were often too feral in the comics. Though I am still wanting the Sinestro Corp and Sinestro to be brought in. The movie franchise is dead so go ahead and use Sinestro. Hal and Kilowog are also in possession of a red power ring now so I hope that means Hal will be transformed into a Red Lantern at some point.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Thanks, b.t.! M'Ten, so that's how it's spelled.

We should've realized that. ::forehead smack:: Hello, M'Ten!

But I also said yellow because (if I am understanding the yellow lantern's emotion correctly) he could overcome his fear of killing civillians. Because don't the power rings choose their owner because they know there is something in them that represents that ring's emotions or is that only for Green Lanterns?

The yellow ring chooses its wearer based on who has the ability to inspire great fear in others. That's why Sinestro Corpsmen are baddies, they like making others afraid of them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hi, I've been looking for Polish dubbed episodes of Summer Camp Island for two years now, and I have this request, do you have any recorded episodes in Polish? If so, please send them to me by email.
So I found this random image for the original Chicken Squad books, and wow. It's really good to see the show giving the titular squad more diverse designs.

I love you, Law & Order: Organized Crime. That is all.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when the Legend of Zelda's Oracle Duology was released in North America.
Happy birthday to George Lucas, the Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.

Featured Posts