Gravity Falls Discussion (Spoilers)

Alec

Webmaster, DC/DXD Fan
Here's the first promo for the series. I'm glad Disney finally posted a "widescreen" video on YouTube. Besides the fact here's a thread about the new show.

The show will concern the adventures of twin brother and sister Dipper and Mabel Pines, whose summer plans are ruined when their parents ship them off to their Great Uncle Stan in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Uncle Stan lives in and runs The Mystery Shack, a tourist trap which overcharges unlucky visitors for a glimpse at the world's most bizarre museum, but little do Dipper and Mabel know that there really is something very strange going on and they must rely on one another to find their way in this unfamiliar town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWS_ljavTw

ILuvToons

Yellow Pearl got sass!
Wow, nobody has said anything about this show? Well, allow me to be the first one to reply to this thread:

When I saw the first promo, I thought it was going to be one of those uninteresting shows like on Disney XD. But as time went on, I realized that it wasn't as I had expected. I've seen the other promos and have looked it up on the official website. I gotta say, it seems like one heck of a good show. For me, the visual style is somewhat like Regular Show and the plot more like The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. Disney Channel really needs more cartoons like this. There's Phineas and Ferb and Fish Hooks,'but even those aren't enough. If DC keeps this up, it will be much better. Can't wait for the preview and the premiere! :)

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
This show snuck up on me. It'll probably sneak up on even more people. Granted, this forum is a wasteland so I doubt very many people even saw the thread. I know I didn't. I asked {Shadow} to make a talkback image, so I'll make talkback threads for each episode. I haven't done that since Yin Yang Yo! and the early Disney XD days with Jimmy Two-Shoes and Kid vs. Kat. It looks good.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
I don't get it. There doesn't seem to be any buzz at all for this show. I know Disney's TV animation has been somewhat lackluster in recent years, but they seem to be trying to get their act together. Hopefully people will give it a chance this Friday when the preview episode airs. Disney has uploaded a bunch of trailers on YouTube if people want to get a feel for it.

ChildHood90s

Loves his coffee
I'm sure there are some dedicated Disney forums chatting about this.

Its a shame no one on Toon Zone is talking about Gravity Falls. I'd really like to know who is working on this behind the scenes, so I understand the talent behind this. This show.... is a little remniscent of Regular Show to me. Like Regular Show's "episode formula" but with a Disney spin.

And just what *is* Craig McCrakken up to anyways???

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
I'm sure there are some dedicated Disney forums chatting about this.

Its a shame no one on Toon Zone is talking about Gravity Falls. I'd really like to know who is working on this behind the scenes, so I understand the talent behind this. This show.... is a little remniscent of Regular Show to me. Like Regular Show's "episode formula" but with a Disney spin.

And just what *is* Craig McCrakken up to anyways???

Answers to both your questions can be found in our coverage of the Disney XD upfront presentation from this March.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
This was in the credits, it seems. I put it into an anagram scrambler but it didn't find anything. Maybe each episode will have one, and maybe they'll mean something. I'll keep track of them in this thread so people can try to figure out what's what.

ZHOFRPH WR JUDYLWB IDOOV

Edit: Somebody already cracked it. Take each letter and move it to the third letter that precedes it. It spells out "Welcome to Gravity Falls". Hopefully they keep doing these puzzles, and hopefully, it takes people longer to crack them.

Dudley

Staff member
Well, I didn't see the gnome thing coming, but their were hints since we kept seeing its page in the book.
I like this show, it does feel a little like Regular Show, but since RS is my fav cartoon on TV right now, that's perfectily fine.

It's not as good as Phineas and Ferb, but it's WAY better than Fish Hooks.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Gravity Falls is probably the best cartoon i have seen in the Disney Channel in a long time :D
I stop watching the Disney Channel ever since they started showing High School Musical and Hanna Montanna :ack: Phineas and Ferb is a okay show
I saw the promo for the show and i really enjoy it

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I didn't see the gnome thing coming, but their were hints since we kept seeing its page in the book.
I like this show, it does feel a little like Regular Show, but since RS is my fav cartoon on TV right now, that's perfectily fine.

The gnome thing surprised me too. I just figured that the hints from the book were just there for a joke, so that was a nice use of the book. The use of the cart definitely made me think of Regular Show and I can understand why people would think that this show would fit more on Cartoon Network than Disney Channel.

Dudley said:
It's not as good as Phineas and Ferb, but it's WAY better than Fish Hooks.

I completely agree. While I think I had a better first impression with this series than I recall having for Phineas and Ferb, I don't think that the series is that good just yet. Depending on how future episodes turn out, I think that it could be as good as Phineas and Ferb, or at least close to it. It's much better than Fish Hooks though. Gravity Falls does have more creativity than Fish Hooks and a better setup than fish in a highschool. Hopefully, it does continue to be enjoyable and improves as the series progresses.

lachie967

This was in the credits, it seems. I put it into an anagram scrambler but it didn't find anything. Maybe each episode will have one, and maybe they'll mean something. I'll keep track of them in this thread so people can try to figure out what's what.Edit: Somebody already cracked it. Take each letter and move it to the third letter that precedes it. It spells out "Welcome to Gravity Falls". Hopefully they keep doing these puzzles, and hopefully, it takes people longer to crack them.
There is another code that flashes for a split second just after the Gravity Falls logo in the opening."VWDQ LV QRM ZKDW KH VHHPV" - it uses the same decoding method as mentioned before and says: "Stan is not what he seems"

mobo85

This space for rent
There's also a clue to the clues, as it were, hidden in the theme song- there's a whispered message at the end that says "three letters back" when played backwards. (The theme song doesn't really sound that bad backwards, to be honest).

JAG

I've been noticing a lot of positive talk about this show lately, so I finally gave it a try the other day. And I think I'm a fan. I've seen five episodes so far, and really enjoyed all of them. It sort of feels like Spongebob meets Adventure Time, and is another of those rare shows that seems to do everything right. It's hilarious, the characters seem well-developed and are likeable, it's slightly edgy and doesn't pull punches (characters regularly die on-screen!), the episodes' morals are believably delivered, and so on. There's a lot to like.

I'll definitely keep watching, and I expect to be sticking with this one for a while.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
What I want to know, do we have a snowballs chance in a hot place of ever getting a nice proper Gravity Falls DVD release? Disney isn't exactly known for their quality treatment of their televised toons when it comes to DVD releases.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Yeah that's pretty fake. Besides not having an actual legit source, the only "sources" link to the same circle of stories with no real evidence (including your post).

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, that story sounds incredibly fake. Since it only goes to two other forums that don't provide any evidence and the summary of this story sounds too ridiculous to be true, I think that this is just a rumor.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts