Good characters who are good at lying

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,794 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
Many cartoon characters are terrible at lying and acting. You can clearly hear they're lying. Often only villains are good at that. Does anyone know any counterexamples?
I'd love to, but could you first name some examples of characters who are terrible at lying/acting and Why? That would give this some more weight, at least IMHO.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,595 67 1
Belgium
I'd love to, but could you first name some examples of characters who are terrible at lying/acting and Why? That would give this some more weight, at least IMHO.
Grizz, Panda and Ice Bear, for instance, when trying to keep Charlie a secret. George of the Jungle. Pearl from Steven Universe. The musical actors from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Anyone with a secret identity: Ben 10, Hiro from Big Hero 6, Juniper Lee, Martin Mystery and Diana etc.

Usually they still get away with lying, even if it's just for a short time. The audience notices it's a lie, but the characters don't.

Now I think of it, Andy from What's with Andy? is really good at lying, but he's a prankster.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,428 3
Ark-7
Killua Zoldyck is established as a pretty good liar and bluffer. He falls back on this quite a bit since many of his opponents are much stronger than him.

Sari Sumdac as well, especially during the first 2 seasons where she doesn’t have powers of her own and has to use trickery so hold off villains when the Autobots aren’t around.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
Not a cartoon, but Harry Potter is an excellent liar.

Edit:

Also the kids from Stranger Things. Kids in real life lie like crap all the time, and never shut it off, so the good kid-based franchises are able to make a lying kid sound sincere to an outside observer. That probably extends to animation too.

Last edited: