"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGojira

What are you staring at?
In light of the highly anticipated Legendary panel at the 2015 Comic-Con tomorrow, I just wanted to get this started as soon as possible to see if new information will be revealed.

Last year, it was announced that a sequel to Godzilla was green-lit by Legendary after earning around $200.7 million domestically and around $528.7 million globally in the box office. Then, during Legendary's panel in 2014's Comic-Con, not only was the sequel confirmed, but they also showed a special teaser featuring shadowed silhouettes of Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah, confirming their appearances in the future Godzilla installments (though it's not to say that ALL 3 of these monsters will appear in the second installment). Also, it was confirmed that Gareth Edwards (Godzilla, Monsters) will return to direct the movie, and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla) will return to write the screenplay. Alex Garcia (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla) will be the executive producer, while Mary Parent (The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, Godzilla, and Pacific Rim) is the producer.

Let's get this information out of the way. One of the common complaints for Godzilla (2014) was that the Big G, himself, didn't get enough screen time. According to a recent article from Dread Central, it seems that we shall not fear the same result for the sequel:

Dread Central said:
While tooling around the Legendary booth at Comic-Con, we ran into Legendary’s Barnaby Legg, the creator of the “Godzilla Encounter” experience from 2013’s big dance in San Diego! Of course we had to talk about how the film turned out.

One of the biggest gripes about the 2014 film was… well… the lack of Godzilla as the creature only got a mere 11 minutes of screen time, while the M.U.T.O.’s dominated the film. “Oh, don’t worry. We know,” said Legg. “All I can say is stay tuned! You’re going to get exactly what you’re hoping for.

Despite signing a new agreement deal with Universal, Legendary will still work with Warner Bros. for the future Godzilla installments. The film is currently slated to be released on June 8, 2018

Last edited:

DarkGojira

What are you staring at?

Yeah, that didn't come out right. In case you're still wondering, Universal signed an agreement with Legendary to distribute their films.

However, when it comes to Godzilla, Warner Bros. is still the distributor for the sequel as part of an agreement Legendary made with Toho to acquire the rights of Godzilla. Kind of complicated stuff, I know.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That's a shame but many felt this would happen after with his attachment to Rogue One.

Deebee

Purple Puma
Gareth leaving is a mixed bag. On the one hand, I was interested in seeing how he would improve from the first, and whoever we get as a replacement could end up doing a worse job. On the other hand, they could also do a better job. So I'm not really sure how I feel about Gareth dropping out.

What sucks, though, is we had been waiting till 2018 to give Gareth time to do Rogue One, and now we have a longer wait in store. I'm not upset with Gareth for his decision to leave, but I wish he had made the decision sooner. We could have seen Godzilla 2 this year or next had a new director been brought in as soon as Godzilla was done.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Gareth leaving is a mixed bag. On the one hand, I was interested in seeing how he would improve from the first, and whoever we get as a replacement could end up doing a worse job. On the other hand, they could also do a better job. So I'm not really sure how I feel about Gareth dropping out.

What sucks, though, is we had been waiting till 2018 to give Gareth time to do Rogue One, and now we have a longer wait in store. I'm not upset with Gareth for his decision to leave, but I wish he had made the decision sooner. We could have seen Godzilla 2 this year or next had a new director been brought in as soon as Godzilla was done.
Seeing as Rogue One seems to be a mess, it's possible that Legendary became worried about him as a director and backed off, or he may feel he's bitten off more than he can chew and wanted out. Let's remember, he was a a no name who had only done an independent movie for which he was the writer, director, DOP, camera op, editor, effects coordinator. He goes from doing everything himself into Godzilla, then Star Wars, then more Godzilla. His seemingly negative experience making Rogue One maybe scaring him off these giant movies, and the studio system as a whole. It sounds like Disney has taken Rogue One away from him, and I remember him speaking about how important creative control was to him. That said, I agree with all that you said. I hope a new director is found quickly. I don't like the wait between movies. People barely remember the 2014 movie now, and I doubt they'll remember care about in three years. I don't like any of this.

Deebee

Purple Puma
Seeing as Rogue One seems to be a mess, it's possible that Legendary became worried about him as a director and backed off, or he may feel he's bitten off more than he can chew and wanted out. Let's remember, he was a a no name who had only done an independent movie for which he was the writer, director, DOP, camera op, editor, effects coordinator. He goes from doing everything himself into Godzilla, then Star Wars, then more Godzilla. His seemingly negative experience making Rogue One maybe scaring him off these giant movies, and the studio system as a whole. It sounds like Disney has taken Rogue One away from him, and I remember him speaking about how important creative control was to him. That said, I agree with all that you said. I hope a new director is found quickly. I don't like the wait between movies. People barely remember the 2014 movie now, and I doubt they'll remember care about in three years. I don't like any of this.
Oh really? I haven't been following Rogue One news. Though I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise, since Disney seems like the type of company to want a lot of creative control, and while G14 was pretty good imo, Monsters was abysmally dull.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Oh really? I haven't been following Rogue One news. Though I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise, since Disney seems like the type of company to want a lot of creative control, and while G14 was pretty good imo, Monsters was abysmally dull.
It depends. They made a pretty big deal of making it clear that JJ Abrams had final cut of TFA. I'm sure they'd love to say the same here, which says to me that Rogue One really is a nightmare. So we don't know. All I know is that I hope Legendary announces a new director soon. The clock is already ticking, we have a release date.

the greenman

Haven't seen it, but at least things are moving forward. I think us Kaiju fans need to support these next few releases (Kong, PR2, Godzilla 2) if we hope to see spinoffs. I think Del Toro said he wanted a crossover with PR3 and Godzilla. Which would be amazing!

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Oh heck yes. About time Dougherty got a major project, though this sadly is going to put Trick r Treat 2 @ on the shelf.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
So we will get Mothra. I wonder if this universe will have some of the other kaiju coming from Skull Island?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Based on what was seen at Comic Con a few years ago, we're going to get Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in this movie. I doubt they'd go to the trouble and unveil them at Comic Con unless they were dead set on using them in this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts