Go! Cartoons by Cartoon Hangover - Talkback Thread

Latest News

Gatordragon

Will trick for treats!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,538 4
The Land of Flowers
Cartoon Hangover is hosting a 12-short anthology series called Go! Cartoons. New episodes come out every two weeks.

So far, there are only two episodes available.

The first episode is The Summoning.

The second episode is Boots.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
So far, I'm not seeing too many of these being truly awesome series' just yet... The Summoning and City Dwellers are the better ones presented here, so far. Unfortunately, they still need a lot of work before they ever become series material, especially with how cookie-cutter the characters unfortunately come off in both, IMHO. The presentation is nice in both, but unfortunately that's about it for me.

Boots is definitely not something that would work as a series, but as a short story (mini-series) where the MC learns to let go of her sad past, clean her dang house, and never do anything packrat-related again - for her own self-betterment. That's gonna take a good writer to truly pull off - something I'm not being exposed to here, honestly.

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9

IMHO (of course), This is sadly the worst out of all of them - without going too deeply into it. Everything about it just felt so forced and annoying; I didn't like any of the characters, either. The only unique thing about it, which is the sloppy animation / character designs... Which inspire even less greatness for me (and I'm usually used to ugly art-styles, which is what really hurts for me here to say anything about it.).

At least The Summoning has potential (were it to ever become a series) to take its core characters and make them more likable & engaging; I see none of that here, unfortunately (nor am I liking having to make this comparison; too bad The Summoning is still the best of these to come out for me, so far...how ironic; I didn't think it was any better than most of these.).

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
389 1
New York
What I’m noticing in a lot of these shorts is that they seem to be storyboard driven, putting more emphasis on the visuals than telling a coherent story with actual characters. But even if they were actually script-driven, it’s clear that those writers aren’t really good, simply replicating AT-style writing.

Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with board driven shows. All of these shorts boast varied art styles.

I read somewhere that the key to writing good dialogue is to write it so you have a sense of who that character is. Save for perhaps City Dwellers which did a good job at differentiating the two leads through how they speak (probably because it’s obvious that that short had a SCRIPT), for a good chunk of these shorts, all they do is talk for the sake of talking, scream constantly and say random crap that sounds more appropriate for a t-shirt than actual dialogue i.e. “The Dirt will Cleanse Me”. It reeks of Lolsorandom and when some folks called Hangover out on that, Hangover rebutted that animation is evolving and fitting the times, moreorless admitting that rather than becoming a go getter in the world of internet animation and making something new, they copy what is popular.

I get that these are shorts and have limited time, but that’s never a good excuse to use this tired writing style. If they wanna make gorgeous-looking shorts, that’s perfectly fine, but don’t add in dialogue if you’re not gonna put in at least a LITTLE effort into giving these characters a personality beyond ‘Snarky Teen with catchphrases’. Just make them silent and go wild with the animation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,482 8
I read somewhere that the key to writing good dialogue is to write it so you have a sense of who that character is. Save for perhaps City Dwellers which did a good job at differentiating the two leads through how they speak (probably because it’s obvious that that short had a SCRIPT), for a good chunk of these shorts, all they do is talk for the sake of talking, scream constantly and say random crap that sounds more appropriate for a t-shirt than actual dialogue i.e. “The Dirt will Cleanse Me”. It reeks of Lolsorandom and when some folks called Hangover out on that, Hangover rebutted that animation is evolving and fitting the times, moreorless admitting that rather than becoming a go getter in the world of internet animation and making something new, they copy what is popular.
Okay you don't understand what LOLRandom humor is, the reason why Claire said "The Dirt will cleanse me" was because she accidentally swallowed troll fat and she was wanted to eat the dirt in order to get the taste out of her mouth. The point of LOLrandom humor is to have the character say/do something thats unrelated or "random".

Also how doesn't the dialog in The Summoning differente the characters?

Last edited:

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
Here's the fifth of all 12 of the Go! Cartoons series... Nebulous, by Brent Sievers

Sadly, THIS is in a tie with the last one before it for worst out of all of them so far, IMHO - and I thought the previous one would be the absolute worst - I don't like being proven wrong like this, but yeah. This, and what we got before it are the worst shorts I've seen so far out of all 12 of these for me. No substance, and the talking is all gibberish in one ear and out the other for me.

Through my eyes... It's basically Wander Over Yonder, if said show royally sucked. And as someone who really wasn't a huge fan of WoY to begin with, despite said show doing a lot of stuff right that this does wrong (characters & presentation do jack all for me and I care little about anything going on here, as a result of these characters being less engaging/likable than Wander (MC of WoY) is to me.), that's saying a lot.

Yessir, The Summoning is still the best thing to come ut of this, and I still think THAT is just Star Vs., but done in a worse way (despite there being some actual potential deep within, albeit not much if at all, IMHO...).

@Rhaynebow - you're not wrong... All I've really seen out of all 5 of these shorts so far is style over substance - and IMHO, the styles on display here... Aren't even all that great or appealing to me, save for maybe The Summoning and City Dwellers (which is the 2nd best, compared to The Summoning, for these shorts so far, IMHO.) - both of which are somewhat derivative of - yeah, Adventure Time, making things much more disappointing for me, personally.

Last edited:

Gatordragon

Will trick for treats!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,538 4
The Land of Flowers
The sixth episode, Welcome to Doozy, is now available.

That's six down, six to go. This one is my favorite so far.

I really liked the art style of this episode. While it was anime-inspired, it was rather clean and neat. Plus the animation is well done. I can see a lot of fan art spawning from this. The plot was a straightforward story about a girl flubbing her attempt to impress a boy, but things worked out in the end. Nothing spectacular, but not lousy either. The brief action was pretty good as well. I knew when Ex mentioned her Tae-Kwon-Do skills that they were going to be put to use. Overall, I really enjoyed this short and wouldn't mind it being picked up as a full series.

Last edited:

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
The sixth episode, Welcome to Doozy, is now available.

That's six down, six to go. This one is my favorite so far.
You're not wrong. THIS IS THE BEST out of all of them so far! Without saying too much about it, this definitely should be a series someday - just give it some good story direction and character development for who's been presented to us so far and we're on our way to victory. We're already a step there with the fluid animation and simple, but cute & effective artstyle.

As of watching this: this is in 1st place for what I'd like to see made into a series; The Summoning is now in second, with City Dwellers in third. Everything else (IMHO) up to this point is all but cast aside for being too weak / stupid in my eyes.

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
You guys find it funny that the most popular shorts tend to have cute furry chicks as their main characters
Not really - I'm just admiring the fluid animation and somewhat decent writing to accompany it, although that latter one is suspect everything that isn't Welcome to Doozy, IMHO.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
389 1
New York
The seventh short, Both Brothers, is now available.

I feel this one wasn’t very good not because it was trying to be lolsorandom like I feel like a lot of these shorts have been, but because it was kinda boring. What, is the joke that the characters make Ren and Stimpy faces?

The comments section is honestly more entertaining than this short, although it’s driving me nuts that CH keeps liking the ones giving them praise. It’s one thing to ignore bullying and comments saying that ‘this short sucks’, but another to ignore valid criticism like ‘Ren and Stimpy’s humor was more than just hyper-detailed facial expressions and exaggerated words in a vague accent that can be captured in 6 minutes’.

I get that these shorts are already finished. I just hope the ones in production now heed the advice.

I.R. Shokew

Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,773 9
I feel this one wasn’t very good not because it was trying to be lolsorandom like I feel like a lot of these shorts have been, but because it was kinda boring. What, is the joke that the characters make Ren and Stimpy faces?

The comments section is honestly more entertaining than this short, although it’s driving me nuts that CH keeps liking the ones giving them praise. It’s one thing to ignore bullying and comments saying that ‘this short sucks’, but another to ignore valid criticism like ‘Ren and Stimpy’s humor was more than just hyper-detailed facial expressions and exaggerated words in a vague accent that can be captured in 6 minutes’.

I get that these shorts are already finished. I just hope the ones in production now heed the advice.

Hey, thanks for helping me dodge a bullet, soldier. I ain't bothering with this (and not just because I HATE, HATE, HATE! REN & STIMPY, either...). I've said it before, I'll say this again: BOTH The Summoning and Welcome to Doozy are the only shorts so far I can see becoming noteworthy cartoons out of all this madness someday, provided they get that green-light (which they not only more than deserve, but badly need, again (like my personal hatred for R&S, IMHO, of course!).

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
389 1
New York
I think what also is kinda shooting the whole Go! Cartoons in the foot is that these are shorts, NOT pilots. The artists don’t have studio executives screaming in their ears about demographics, making cool designs for a toyline, or any of that. It’s just artists making cartoons. So you’d think that a compilation of creator-driven shorts would have more variety in terms of genres besides dark humor and ‘a day in the life of XYZ’. Where’s an adventure short or a dramatic short or a straight up slapstick short? Surely not EVERYONE at CH wants to make a cartoon about the same stuff.

Again, I seriously hope the next volume of Go! actually listens to the criticism of this volume. Not every short needs to be groundbreaking, but having them all be the same isn’t helping either.

Gatordragon

Will trick for treats!
May 14, 2012
Ratings
3,538 4
The Land of Flowers
I definitely agree with the lack of variety in these shorts. I don't know what's attracting this kind of artists to Cartoon Hangover, but there's not much making their works stand out from each other, even if a few of them are good. Shake things up, it'll make the lineup more interesting.

I also don't like how CH favorites the comments that praise them, making those comments more visible than the critical ones. It just reeks of confirmation bias and doesn't help an artist improve their work. YouTube really shouldn't have added that feature.

There are only five shorts left, so there's still a chance of a short that goes against the grain, but with the current track record, I'm not holding my breath on it.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,482 8
I can't too mad at CH liking positive comments I mean name 5 youtubers you saw liking comments that were either negative or constructive criticism though I do agree the lack of variety hurts the event. I mean sure you can't do a lot with 6 minutes but CH had this with a 6 minute run