"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" Movie News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Yes, once Morbius got delayed the other week, it was the writing on the wall the rest of Sony's slate would follow. But it troubles me they delayed it to the week after a Marvel Studios MCU movie.
That's not a week. That's an entire month, which has become a new standard for movies making most of their gross within that window. At the rate we're moving and certain places actually tightening restrictions, it's going to feel like HBO Max made the smartest decision this year if you want to see a 2021 tentpole feature.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That's not a week. That's an entire month, which has become a new standard for movies making most of their gross within that window. At the rate we're moving and certain places actually tightening restrictions, it's going to feel like HBO Max made the smartest decision this year if you want to see a 2021 tentpole feature.
Just so we're on the same page, when I said "But it troubles me they delayed it to the week after a Marvel Studios MCU movie," the movie I was alluding to Afterlife being moved to a date one week after Eternals is slated to release and not Morbius. Eternals comes out November 5/6, 2021 doesn't it? Sorry about creating any confusion about what the heck I was talking about.

But Sony did sleep on crafting their own Disney+ or HBO Max streaming service. Crackle leaves much to be desired. But I figure after acquring Crunchyroll, they might expand it and make it their chief streaming service for all Sony content live action, animation, and anime. But it's too late, and delays are the only mechanism they have for their slate of movies. It's a pity.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Just so we're on the same page, when I said "But it troubles me they delayed it to the week after a Marvel Studios MCU movie," the movie I was alluding to was Eternals and not Morbius. Eternals comes out November 5/6, 2021 doesn't it?
Oh ok.
They are two vastly different movies, so maybe this works out when we used to have situations like that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Loved it. Finally some footage. :D :D :D

For some background, this was filmed in a Walmart in Deerfoot City in Canada in late September 2019 some shots here, here, and here.

Also, I think this tracks with a scene we saw in the trailer with a Terror Dog paw stomping the hood of Grooberson's car. So it looks like it pursues him in the store and he thinks he got away, gets in his car, but dah dah, the Terror Dog caught up.

Moe

I'm wonder if Sony is going to deliberately postpone this movie to 2022 so this can goes to Netflix after movie theater, so it will definitely bad news for Starz.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another delay would suck but we'll see how Sony reacts to Top Gun being moved near Afterlife's date.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
6/8: For Ghostbusters Day, cast and crew did a 50 min. interview on this thing called Twitter Space. Audio was mostly recorded. (Or the full version, the above missed the opening greetings)

*Tried to bullet point it:

2:52: It was revealed the character Logan Kim portrays is named Podcast and Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky.

6:22: Jason Reitman commented, "I saw a young girl in the middle of a field with a Proton Pack and I imagined a young man discovering the Ecto-1 and it not working, and then Tokyo drifting through that field."

7:43: Ivan Reitman commented it was the greatest honor and thrill for one his children to carry on a story he helped start.

9:00: Finn Wolfhard talks about how he self-taped an audition in his room in Vancouver and put it together it was a Ghostbusters movie when he was asked to come to Jason Reitman's home in Los Angeles. McKenna Grace talked about working in Atlanta when she auditioned and in the scripts, their roles were just "Boy" and "Girl" but she found it in the chemistry reads and read with Logon Kim, and a Proton Pack was there.

12:35: Jason Reitman clarified the movie is not set at all in New York and had to be about a family discovering who they were and them going to someplace that didn't look like the first movie. Like going into a parent or grandparent's attic or basement and finding something about them.

15:20: Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky and she's always wanted to leave her home town then meets the new kid at the diner she works at, Trevor. She gets involved in his story and finds her courage and determination and adventure she's always been looking for.

16:44: Ecto-1 certainly plays an important role in the movie. We discover the things that have changed about it in the course of the movie.

20:17: Some green screen was done for the more dangerous parts of the Ecto-1 chase scene. The gunner seat came when they started thinking about what happens to the equipment. The gunner seat put ghostbusting in motion.

21:40: McKenna Grace comments on getting to sit in the Ecto-1 and on the gunner seat and calls it "absolutely magical."

22:14: Mr. Grooberson is a science teacher and Phoebe is a scientist herself who finds herself in small town in a summer school class filled with delinquents and Grooberson immediately takes a liking to her because he sees a like-minded person and becomes a mentor to her.

23:42: McKenna Grace had her mind blown when she first saw the equipment props. Finn Wolfhard emphasizes the movie comes from a fan. There is CG but Jason Reitman was adamant about using a lot of practical effects like the props, make up, sets, and backgrounds. Lucky was skeptical at first but over the course of it, she gets pulled into the adventure. O'Connor never did a big studio film before and just did an indie movie before moving onto Afterlife so she was overwhelmed on the set. O'Connor's father was a film of the movies and showed them to the family when she was growing up.

29:30: Carrie Coon plays a mom just trying to make ends meet and find resources to keep her family afloat and hasn't time for the other parts of her life. Callie shares a cynical sense of humor with Grooberson.

30:30: Jason Reitman comments on watching people trying on the Proton Pack for the first time and the unique smile that happens. The Ecto Goggles can now take Polaroids.

31:31: McKenna Grace remembers she cried when she tried on the Proton Pack for the first time. Finn Wolfhard remembered the camera test and she lost balance at first. Grace got strap burns because of the weight.

33:25: The Proton Pack mold used was built off one of the original 1984 Proton Pack props. They tried to visualize what welds, wire changes, slips, breaks, and cracks to show the age and use of the pack over three decades. The creatures were puppeteered on the set.

35:00: The cast and crew is asked if they believe in the paranormal and had their experiences. Logan Kim's character Podcast is considered the absolute believer in the movie and the heart of the movie. They talk about how Kim took one acting class, did a Fed Ex commercial, and auditioned for Afterlife with a self-tape. Kim was the most confident actor on the set. Carrie talks about hearing footsteps and doors opening at the farmhouse she grew up on.

42:39: Logan Kim could barely see with the Ecto Goggles on and hit McKenna Grace's face once. He also slipped and fell on set. It was hard to position the Ecto Goggles on heads like how Dan Aykroyd could. Jason Reitman gave Kim notes on where to look in a shot but Kim paused and told him he couldn't see.

44:48: Jason Reitman clarifies the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will not return. The Mini Pufts want to watch the world burn and they enjoy it.

6/9: Passing the Proton Pack vignette released.

7/21: Jason Reitman posted a bts photo of him photographing Mini-Pufts in a hardware store.

7/26: Trailer #2 tomorrow. Teaser for now. And IGN will post a breakdown with Jason Reitman.

7/27: Trailer #2 has been released.

Jason Reitman's 15 minute breakdown.

8/3: Adam Savage's Tested will have some episodes centered on bts of Afterlife.

8/23: The movie was screened to attendees at CinemaCon tonight. So guess at this point, beware of spoilers online.

9/1: Moved a week to November 19.

Tested posted its first episode, and it's centered on Ecto-1.

9/8: Will have a panel at NYCC on October 8 at 6:30 pm on the Empire Stage. Jason Reitman, Ivan Reitman, and some of the cast will do a Q&A and clips will be shown.

A bit more of the chase scene seen in trailers.

A new still of Trevor, Phoebe, and Podcast.

Last edited:

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
9/15: Adam Savage takes a tour of the farmset.

9/22: Offical poster:

gbaudljn92p71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
9/22: Two posters actually got released today.

9/24: EMPIRE's newest issue, out September 30, will do a big feature; interview with the Reitmans, photo shoot of the equipment, and new stills from the movie.

9/27: 2 stills released, previewing the EMPIRE feature.

9/30: Logan Kim posted a new still of his character Podcast in Ecto-1.

10/6: Latest Tested has Savage getting access to the Proton Pack Phoebe uses in the movie and his Tested site has 117 reference photos of it.

10/8: VFX producer Kerry Joseph talks about the making of the Mini Pufts in brief.

Also, I'm hearing there was a surprise screening of the movie at the NYCC panel so I guess spoilers will be online soon.

Last edited:

19MagiswordLane

Reviews are pouring in. It's a fantastic trip that pays a perfect tribute to the entire franchise; there's a lot of surprises in how the film connects to the classic films:

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

19MagiswordLane

10/20: New rendition of the theme song!

11/1: New clip.

11/5: Another clip, this time of the Terrordogs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandouga

Personally, I don’t know if I’ll be watching this one. Maybe I’m wrong about this one, but it looks like it might be a “Pandora’s Box” kind of a plot, something any horror movie could do (and yes, I know Ghostbusters isn’t exactly a horror franchise; that’s kind of the point). At least, that’s what I get from the one commercial I saw about it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another clip, this time of a Terror dog:
Funny little touches with Vinz eating dog chow and honoring the implicit fact from the first movie that he's was rather clumsy in his movements. But that Baskin-Robbins prop had to be empty or something, don't think they would have wanted to real thing to be thrown at an animatronic, lol. One was broken during the first movie's filming after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts