"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" Movie News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
Not a huge fan of the Ghostbusters franchise itself, but I really enjoyed the first two movies. I think this is pointless if the main characters only have glorified cameos.

What I dislike about movie franchises is that the studios make it more about the brand than the characters. Everything I like about Ghostbusters has something to do with Venkman, Stantz, Spengler, and Zeddemore. Obviously, Egon can't be in this movie, but I won't be invested in these kids unless you tell me why they're important to the original Ghostbusters, though I'm guessing the young girl is related to Egon (which all things considered, is the best thing to do).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
We don't really get much of the old cast (who I am hoping is doing more then just showing up in cameos) and I admit the only laugh I got out of this one is the kid going "remember the summer we died laying under the table?" but I admit I do like the look of this one and honestly I am glad that isn't a world where no one believes that ghosts exist but rather one where they just haven't been seen for awhile (it's kind of confusing in the marketting and talk of this film if the events of Ghostbusters 2 happened though as a lot of the promotional material talks about the last big experience was with Stay Puff but doesn't mention the statue of liberty rising because of Vigo the carpartian or anything like that) and that yeah the grandfather since they mentioned him being dead is obviously Egon Spangler because this way they can have a connection to Harold Ramis's character even after his tragic passing. Thus we'll likely see the other Ghostbusters and co seek out this guy's family when all of these ghost signs come back.
It was just the first trailer and basically to introduce the new cast and the plot. I actually liked that they didn't include scenes with the original cast other than them looking at the old footage. But yeah, let's not worry about canon just yet. There's going to be plenty interviews about that I imagine. lol.

though I'm guessing the young girl is related to Egon (which all things considered, is the best thing to do).
Well, I mean... the Vanity article and the trailer heavily suggested Trevor and Phoebe are Egon's grand children. And Callie never knew Egon, her father, that's a mystery I imagine the movie will get into. Or even who her mother is.

I think I remember there being one on the toy or in the cartoon.
Kenner's The Real Ghostbusters Ecto-1 had a seat on top of the roof rack and they've used similar seat less add-ons to the roof during the run of The Real Ghostbusters, usually when they were dealing with a powerful entity like Mee-Krah in "Standing Room Only", or in "The Slob", "The Magnificent Five" (this one might have had a seat I think). The gunner seat coming out the side is new.

rggkjg1

You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
Mar 2, 2002
Philly Philly Earth-96
www.myspace.com
Not surprised that it's looking like exactly what I feared it would be. Applying the Stranger Things, Super 8, It (2017), etc formula and just doing a nostalgic trip down memory lane. If I want a trip down memory lane, I'll play the 2009 video game and be more involved. Not just simply watch characters go down memory lane in a film.

The basic premise of Ghostbusters is this - A business/service similar to that of a police or fire department. You call Ghostbusters to come to your residence and take care of your haunting by catching a ghost. Or even more simply, an exterminator or pest control business/service for ghosts. Don't see any of that here. At least Ghostbusters 2016 got that right. Would you rather want adults or kids show up and catch your ghosts?

I'm leaning twards the assumed characterization of Egon being "wrong". Out of all the Ghostbusters, he's the one you'd expect to not have a life (relationships and especially children). Maybe he just got caught up in his work and that drove his family away. That could work. What I think doesn't work is Egon being the "sentimental" one and leaving behind all the equipment hidden away for his family to eventually find in the event of his absence. That sounds more like Ray. Maybe Ray hid everything away.

When Harold Ramis passed, I didn't want to see any live action incarnation of Ghostbusters ever again. It died with him. I moved on. I can't think of any way a live action film would work. Actually, there is one idea that would work, which could offer more than just a trip down memory lane, be a sequel yet stand on its own, and probably satisfy more fans - Live action EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS movie. Same characters and same premise as the cartoon. Just swap out Egon for Ray.

So let me guess how the entire movie is going to go: The adults in the town don't believe the kids about the ghosts, so it's up to our group of friends to join together and deal with the problem themselves. After that, it's all wacky hijinks from there. A 13 year old driving a car, the youngest of the group not being able to handle the power of a proton pack (let alone be able to carry it or wear it on their back), one of them trying on a uniform and it will obviously not fit them. What will these silly rascals get into next? Twards the end our group of friends get in way over their heads, so Paul Rudd and the mother join up to look for them. During this time they bond and hint at or develop a love interest. They rescue the kids, or simply find them and become in danger themselves. Some how they get out of it, day is saved. Along the way viewers are encouraged to find the hidden easter eggs spread through out. "The cemetery is named after Shandor?! I 'member him!!!!!"

And my prediction for a surprise/twist is that Paul Rudd's character ends up being Baby Oscar now an Adult.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I wonder if the lack of mentioning the statue of liberty was deliberate. Murray hated GB2. That may have either been a choice like all the modern movie sequels like Halloween or Terminator. Or they could even keep it as a joke. However, seeing how it's the Ecto 1 & not the ECTO 1A, I have a feeling GB2 never existed.

Aykroyd is a huge motor head, so this is no mistake. Which also means Dana doesn't have a child?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Reactions: 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Mar 19, 2016
Finn Wolfhard sits down for an interview:

“Older Ghostbusters fans will find it’s a really, really faithful approach to the series.”

“It’s also really funny, so I’m really excited for people to see it.”
Good news that the comedy is still there. Hopefully it won't get delayed....

Last edited:
Reactions: Yojimbo