"Ghostbusters (2020 Movie)" News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
If anything, the complaint from Ghosbusters "purists" should be "They're turning it into a kids movie, it's gonna be too kiddified!" Kinda like the complaints about "Aliens vs. Predator" diminishing the Aliens franchise. Or something like that.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
If anything, the complaint from Ghosbusters "purists" should be "They're turning it into a kids movie, it's gonna be too kiddified!" Kinda like the complaints about "Aliens vs. Predator" diminishing the Aliens franchise. Or something like that.
AvP didn't really diminish the Alien franchise. The Alien franchise was already getting bad movies since Alien 3. AvP at least had some cool scenes and the Queen's redesign was awesome.

As for the Ghostbusters purist, they should just wait until more info and real trailer come out first before complaing/worrying about the new Ghostbusters film being kiddified.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I'm sure you Murray fans want to exclude him from the holdup, but it was. Many many years of proof; be it on Howard Stern or elsewhere. Akyroyd & Reitman were the ones who really pushed it. Dan even said Paul Feig never listened to him at Sony. A real shame.

With Murray it was just weird how he would exalt it and take praise but not seem to want to be involved. I love the guy, but it took to long. I know of the cheesy scripts that seemed like fanfic (like Ghostbusters Go to Hell). They had passes with new teams like Farley, Chris Rock, and Rogen. Oh well, let's just get this over with.

Reactions: Rick Jones

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I always hoped that they'd do something akin to Extreme Ghostbusters. That was such a great setup with Egon going back to the university and falling back into ghostbusting while his young students were his field team. I love the franchise and I don't blame Sony or Reitman for trying to keep it alive. Hopefully, they craft something that audiences will get into more this time. I really hope it's good. I'm not sure how I feel about very young kids being the new recruits but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The description so far has kind of given me Monster House vibes. Even if the movie disapponts me, I hope Sony takes a chance on some animated Ghostbusters. I love the first movie (I don't quite love the second one like I used to but I still appreciate it) but The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters were what really made and kept me a huge fan.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I hope Sony takes a chance on some animated Ghostbusters. I love the first movie (I don't quite love the second one like I used to but I still appreciate it) but The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters were what really made and kept me a huge fan.
They're also working on an animated movie (directed by Fletcher Moules and Ivan Reitman, story is perspective of a ghost, explores ghost world, ghost ends up joining the Ghostbusters' team) and may revisit an animated series they were working on recently, Ghostbusters Ecto Force, but shelved to focus on the movies (set in 2050, a team catching ghosts around the world with the help of local franchises).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
That feels really soon when I think of the filming and post-production periods. I wonder how long they've already been working on making this happen.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
That feels really soon when I think of the filming and post-production periods. I wonder how long they've already been working on making this happen.
My own theory is it could have been pitched as early as 2016 right before ATC hit the theaters. In the EMPIRE magazine issue #324 about ATC, Reitman mentioned they were already working on developing an unannounced live action movie. Then in July, Reitman confirmed it was 'in the middle of being written' and then of course, this past November with Dan Rather, Aykroyd threw the big hint a 'really good filmaker duo' (which we now know was Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan) was writing it (we could interpret as the shooting script or close to it) and once it was submitted and approved, 2 months later, the news about this movie drops.

It wouldn't be a Ghostbusters movie if they had a tight deadline, lol. For the first Ghostbusters, Reitman had 13 months to make it. Ghostbusters II about the same. They agreed to it in early 1988, filmed November 1988 to January 1989 for a June 1989 release. ATC's principal filming started in mid-June 2015 for the July 2016 release.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Apparently, nobody has contacted Ernie Hudson yet:

Not sure why not, he'd probably be the cheapest of the crew to get to return. Murray and Weaver being the top tier. Also, gotta wonder if they'll get Moranis to come out of retirement. Never say never, Scorcese got Pesci out, so. . .

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Not sure why not, he'd probably be the cheapest of the crew to get to return. Murray and Weaver being the top tier. Also, gotta wonder if they'll get Moranis to come out of retirement. Never say never, Scorcese got Pesci out, so. . .
Moranis said in an interview that he's not actually retired but instead has become selective about picking future roles.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I listened to that last night. Great listen. Here's the 3 main quotes of Reitman's I transcribed:
1:02:32-1:03:04
Honestly, the crazy thing is we have no time. I--we--so I wrote the film in secret with my writing partner Gil Kenan. We wrote it over the last year while we were finishing up "(The) Front Runner". And we turned it in in December. And I have to admit my presumption was it was going to be any other studio film I heard about where there's years of rewrites and they grind it into the ground and it never happens. I was kind of fully prepared for this year to be a little taking time off and doing rewrites on Ghostbusters and instead the studio read the first draft and said 'Yeah, go make it.'

1:10:52-:1:11:10
This is going to be a love letter to Ghostbusters. I, um, I love this franchise. I grew up watching it. I consider myself the first Ghostbusters fan. I was like 7 years old when that movie came out and, uh, love it and I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans. So it's a 100% love letter.

1:11:12-1:11:56
Like we just did this teaser for it that we launched when we announced it. And even in that we went back to the work files for the sound of the Proton Pack and we went back to the stems of Elmer Bernstein's score. Uh, for just for when it says at the end of the teaser, it's says like Summer 2020. We went back and found the original physical vinyl letters they used to make the Ghostbusters poster in 1984, rescanned them, then, uh, our titles guys reprinted them and we filmed the titles, not like in a computer, we shot physical titles with light and smoke effect because that's how they would have done it back in the say so we are in every way trying to go back to the original technique and make a -- hand the movie back to the fans.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Judging from what he says about filming the titles, I imagine he wouldn't be the type to depend solely on digital effects, and he might try practical and optical maybe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rggkjg1

The Big Red Cheese
Mar 2, 2002
Philly Philly
www.myspace.com
Is this movie going to be "for" the fans, or "pander" to them? What exactly do they mean "for" the fans? All fans of the Ghostbusters franchise don't share the exact same sentiment, and have different ideas on how it should be going forward. As a fan, I didn't want Ghostbusters to continue on in LIVE ACTION after the passing of Harold Ramis because I felt doing so would be a complete disservice to the fans. As a fan, I wanted Answer The Call to get a sequel. As a fan, I wanted them to make the third Ghostbusters movie 10+ years ago when the video game was generating buzz.

The main problem for me going forward for this film is if the explanation of Egon's absence will be satisfying. I'm pretty confident it wont be. Maybe Peter didn't stop Egon from drilling a hole into his head. Maybe Egon got sucked into the containment unit (or a ghost dimension) and the others can't rescue him. Maybe Egon accidently blew himself up building new equipment. Sure, those ideas or dumb. But at least there can be a typical Ghostbusters "comedy twist" to those scenarios, instead of just having Egon killed off because of old age.

Seeing that movie is for the fans, and a love letter. I'm really under the impression that this movie is just going be another Stranger Things, It (2017), Super 8, Summer Of '84, etc nostalgia type thing and not really offer anything else. Yes, I 'member Ecto 1. I 'member Proton Packs. I 'member the film score.

Reactions: 19MagiswordLane

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
One thing is certain, "love letter" could mean anything. It may or may not even just be reassurance of some kind. Everyone will just have to wait and see...