Getting sick of the Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman cartoons...

Marvelman02

I like a lot of DC direct-to-video stuff, but I am getting sick of them always focusing on the so-called Trinity. How about some more Green Lantern stuff? Shazam and Aquaman both had major cinematic releases but unlike Wonder Woman they received no accompanying animated feature. How about a Legion of Superheroes movie? Or a Teen Titans movie featuring the current line-up? Or, a JSA movie based upon some of Geoff John's run?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Wouldn't Lego Aquaman: Rage Of Atlantis count? Likewise, wouldn't Justice League Vs The Fatal Five count (because of Star Boy)?

Otaku-sempai

I like a lot of DC direct-to-video stuff, but I am getting sick of them always focusing on the so-called Trinity. How about some more Green Lantern stuff? Shazam and Aquaman both had major cinematic releases but unlike Wonder Woman they received no accompanying animated feature. How about a Legion of Superheroes movie? Or a Teen Titans movie featuring the current line-up? Or, a JSA movie based upon some of Geoff John's run?
Did you somehow miss Green Lantern: Emerald Knights? That was certainly released to capitalize on the live-action feature. And before that there was Green Lantern: First Flight. And Hal has also had his animated series. But, yes, I could get behind a stand-alone Teen Titans movie that could also set up a new series that has no direct connection to the previous shows.

I don't see, though, that there's been enough animated Wonder Woman to complain about. There has only been the two animated movies and her appearances on shows with a larger cast of leads. I can say the same for Green Lantern, and his history in animation goes back farther that WW's (heck, Wonder Girl appeared in animation well before her 'big sister').

1578930965222.png

Attachments

• 1578930883080.png
    1578930883080.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah and those two movies were ten years apart so quite honestly Wondy in animation could use more specific love since though she appears a lot as a supporting player, being the main feature is still pretty rare.

That said i 100% fully agree that there are way too many DC animated movies that just focus on Superman and Batman. I guess with Superman for awhile it was the only place he was properly being represented but now that they're making a superman and lois live action show on the CW we can see less of him. And certainly less of Batman who has at least one animated feature about him since 2008. Heck 2020 so far seems like the first year he'll be absent of a focus (even though we know he's going to be in Superman red Son, and probably justice Justice League Dark Apokolis War) but you know they'll probably reveal something featuring him at some point in the next 350 something days. So yeah variety from just general Batman, superman and Justice League movies would be nice especially as that's what the live action movies are more trying to do so why not the animated films?

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I reiterate the point that there's only been two WW movies in the line. Also, they stayed away from Superman for about five years, and only recently did they go back to making Superman solo films. My big Superman-related gripe was that Wonder Woman only has two films, whereas Death of Superman itself got told just as many times.

Frontier

Staff member
I think, if we're being honest, DC wayyyyy overdoes it on Batman films compared to the rest of the Trinity and other DCU properties as a whole.

But we've got a Titans and Shazam related animated films coming out in the future, Wonder Woman has finally had a new animated film, Superman has two coming out this year...I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I feel like it's getting better by degrees.
Yeah and those two movies were ten years apart so quite honestly Wondy in animation could use more specific love since though she appears a lot as a supporting player, being the main feature is still pretty rare.

That said i 100% fully agree that there are way too many DC animated movies that just focus on Superman and Batman. I guess with Superman for awhile it was the only place he was properly being represented but now that they're making a superman and lois live action show on the CW we can see less of him. And certainly less of Batman who has at least one animated feature about him since 2008. Heck 2020 so far seems like the first year he'll be absent of a focus (even though we know he's going to be in Superman red Son, and probably justice Justice League Dark Apokolis War) but you know they'll probably reveal something featuring him at some point in the next 350 something days. So yeah variety from just general Batman, superman and Justice League movies would be nice especially as that's what the live action movies are more trying to do so why not the animated films?
I wonder if they'll keep up the trend of a Batman crossover film for this year, although I have no idea who they'd crossover with o_O.

Otaku-sempai

I wonder if they'll keep up the trend of a Batman crossover film for this year, although I have no idea who they'd crossover with o_O
Since it's been proven that inter-company crossovers can be done on film too, I wouldn't mind seeing Batman vs. Predator turned into an animated movie. I realize the irony of suggesting this in a thread where a complaint is there's too much Batman.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Would be nice it there was a Lobo Adult Animated Series that's executive produced by Michael Bay with Big Mouth tier writing involved.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

Would be nice it there was a Lobo Adult Animated Series that's executive produced by Michael Bay with Big Mouth tier writing involved.

Nix Michael Bay's involvement and I might agree, though he does seem suited to the material. A Lobo series should be dark, funny, violent and satirical, much like DCU's Harley Quinn.

Last edited:

khuddle

The reason we constantly see the trinity? They make money, thats why. Same reason we see Star Wars movies constantly making references to the OT -- Disney is terrified of trying out anything new, because new stuff isn't guaranteed to make money.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Nix Michael Bay's involvement and I might agree, though he does seem suited to the material. A Lobo series should be dark, funny, violent and satirical, much like DCU's Harley Quinn.
To be fair, Lobo back in the 90s is a parody of the 90s edge like Wolverine and Punisher and that DC wants Bay to direct a theatrical Lobo movie. It'd be a shoe in.

Marvelman02

I think, if we're being honest, DC wayyyyy overdoes it on Batman films compared to the rest of the Trinity and other DCU properties as a whole.

But we've got a Titans and Shazam related animated films coming out in the future, Wonder Woman has finally had a new animated film, Superman has two coming out this year...I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I feel like it's getting better by degrees.

I wonder if they'll keep up the trend of a Batman crossover film for this year, although I have no idea who they'd crossover with o_O.

Glad to hear it. Where did you hear about these movies? I haven't read anything about them.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.

Sonic the Hedgehog?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Glad to hear it. Where did you hear about these movies? I haven't read anything about them.
Rumored but pretty legit because of listings - a TT DTV in DCU line and a LEGO Shazam DTV. They're discussed in that DTV movie general news thread.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts