General International TV Channels Thread

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I would like to see Sony attempt to bring Animax to the UK and maybe replace Pop Max, but again, replacing a children's network with a more harsher adult-oriented anime channel? I would say it's not the first time (see Locomotion, previously a children's network, shifted to be more adult oriented and bought out by Sony to be replaced by Animax) but it would be a little bit of a risky move. It's odd Sony has the rights to shows like Dragon Ball for a channel like Pop.

I don't think Sony would want to replace the Pop name, it's a staple in kids broadcasting for many years, even if the big-3 (now big-2 after the closure of Disney) have taken the reigns as such.
I'm not sure that Sony would revive the Animax brand to the UK, since they now own Funimation.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I would like to see Sony attempt to bring Animax to the UK and maybe replace Pop Max, but again, replacing a children's network with a more harsher adult-oriented anime channel? I would say it's not the first time (See Locomation, previously a children's network, shifted to be more adult oriented and bought out by Sony to be replaced by Animax) but it would be a little bit of a risky move. It's odd Sony has the rights to shows like Dragon Ball for a channel like Pop.

I don't think Sony would want to replace the Pop name, it's a staple in kids broadcasting for many years, even if the big-3 (now big-2 after the closure of Disney) have taken the reigns as such.

Sadly, I think there isn't much hope for anime on UK linear TV. For anime, Sony would rather for people to subscribe to their Funimation service, I think from what I see Dragon Ball Super may not be available on their UK service, but they at least grabbed the TV rights as they know the franchise is popular enough to get the views.

It seems with the removal of Disney's channels from Sky/Virgin/BT etc. has the made Now TV Kids pass look rather competitive and value for money when combined with Freeview/Freesat. I know that BT TV is now moving over to NOW TV passes rather than offering their own packages (their old Kids package includes Disney Channel) apart from BT Sport, what's good about it is that the NOW TV channels appear as actual channels on the YouView EPG complete with listings and you can actually record them.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Same here. The few animes we get on linear TV are for kids. The 2000s feel like a better time, now all progress is going backward.

Keep in mind that streaming services also fall victim to the rights lasting for a given amount of time.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Since this is coming from The Sun, take it with a grain of salt.
Keep in mind that streaming services also fall victim to the rights lasting for a given amount of time.
That is in fact correct.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level

That is in fact correct.

Will BBC Television and BBC Radio be rebranded in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RegularCapital

Staff member

The only sources I could find so far are The Sun and Mail Online.

They've lost the appeal of the young since dropping BBC Three, there's late night schedule for "BBC Three on BBC One" at least, but it's not getting the same level of care and attention as back when it was a channel. They've lost the appeal of the old because anyone over 75 now need to pay for a TV licence and they've lost the appeal of the working age/class because of overpaid talking heads on the channels that spurt out "woke" nonsense, that applies to the management as well. Sad to admit, but the BBC doesn't have many friends anymore, it no longer represents the views of the country as a whole and people are cancelling their TV licences in droves. The only thing that's still good is the dramas and the local news programmes. BBC One has the weakest branding at the moment out of the PSBs, even Channel 5's is better.

Channel 11 on Freeview (which is Pick at the moment) will become Sky Arts, Pick will move to Merit's slot on channel 34 and Merit will likely close. In other words, the infamous channel swap to bypass channel slot selling/buying rules on Freeview, which is more than likely why Merit was set up in the first place.

Official Source from Sky: Press Pack: Sky Arts Available to Everyone from 17 September

Last edited:

J10

Due to Paramount+ launch on OSN, Paramount Channel, currently available on OSN Set Top Box channel 34 in the Middle East, will change its screen beginning September 1 and move to Paramount+.

Will this means that the channel is going to cease transmission, and will no longer be available in the region? You’ll wait until this day to see what‘ll happen.

ViacomCBS ties with OSN to launch streaming service in Middle East

RegularCapital

Staff member
Due to Paramount+ launch on OSN, Paramount Channel, currently available on OSN Set Top Box channel 34 in the Middle East, will change its screen beginning September 1 and move to Paramount+.

Will this means that the channel is going to cease transmission, and will no longer be available in the region? You’ll wait until this day to see what‘ll happen.

ViacomCBS ties with OSN to launch streaming service in Middle East

I see they've basically doing a Disney+ to an extent, closedown the channel(s) and then sign carriage contracts with pay-TV providers to carry the streaming service.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
They've lost the appeal of the young since dropping BBC Three, there's late night schedule for "BBC Three on BBC One" at least, but it's not getting the same level of care and attention as back when it was a channel.
And it's also worth knowing that ITV2's ratings increased after BBC Three went online only, especially that they gained the terrestrial rights of the MacFarlane cartoons from them as a result.

RegularCapital

Staff member
And it's also worth knowing that ITV2's ratings increased after BBC Three went online only, especially that they gained the terrestrial rights of the MacFarlane cartoons from them as a result.
Yes, some other channels with the 18-35 year old demographic target have benefited from the closure of BBC Three, E4 also responded to ITV2's Seth MacFarlane move by buying the rights to Rick and Morty and the rest of the Adult Swim collection.

Sky Replay's logo, reminds me of Sky Travel's logo from the 90's and ITV2's current branding because of the aquamarine colour. Sky Replay launches tomorrow (27th August), replacing Sky Two.

7d0405c4fa33e475e8045a8c88878da3.jpg

Canal+ in France to distribute HGTV in November, Eurosport is also exclusive to that platform, however the Discovery documentary channels are exclusive to SFR.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Sky Replay's logo, reminds me of Sky Travel's logo from the 90's and ITV2's current branding because of the aquamarine colour. Sky Replay launches tomorrow (27th August), replacing Sky Two.

7d0405c4fa33e475e8045a8c88878da3.jpg

I was thinking the same as you were.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival, UKTV general manager Steve North has said that the broadcaster is open to the idea of launching new channels in the future should an opportunity arise.
If anything, I would like to see UKTV revive the Play UK model (balancing between music and comedies) for a new channel, though that may not be likely for obvious reasons.

RegularCapital

Staff member
If anything, I would like to see UKTV revive the Play UK model (balancing between music and comedies) for a new channel, though that may not be likely for obvious reasons.

Dave is basically the comedy aspect of UK Play/Play UK, of which its predecessor channel UK G2 shared with Play UK before and after its closure, at least they've reused the name for their on-demand service.

The music aspect of it is the obvious reason why it wouldn't do too well nowadays, there's too much competition. A Science/Technology/Current Affairs channel would go well next to Yesterday and Eden not sure how it would do well in the ratings, but the BBC's television library for this sort of thing is huge. Or they could just revive Blighty/UKTV People/UK Horizons.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Dave is basically the comedy aspect of UK Play/Play UK, of which its predecessor channel UK G2 shared with Play UK before and after its closure, at least they've reused the name for their on-demand service.

The music aspect of it is the obvious reason why it wouldn't do too well nowadays, there's too much competition. A Science/Technology/Current Affairs channel would go well next to Yesterday and Eden not sure how it would do well in the ratings, but the BBC's television library for this sort of thing is huge. Or they could just revive Blighty/UKTV People/UK Horizons.
Hence why I said "though that may not be likely for obvious reasons".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts