General International TV Channels Thread

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Okay, I get your point but if there's one thing I hope will happen in the future of the Fox name is that the Murdoch family will ultimately sell this and Foxtel to someone else that cares and that they would keep Fox News but under a different name.

Same as that I'm hoping that the Redstone family will no longer own Viacom CBS in the future but that's just me since I'm tired of those corrupt media families constantly affecting these two in a negative manner along with that I could see the Fox name return overseas under new ownership though different from the ones we know before and will probably get rebranded once the licencing expires and Disney decides not to renew it since as you said, they consider the brand toxic hence the recent rebrandings, though I do think they actually meant that Fox News is toxic, not the Fox network but I digress.

ABC would be a better name though, at least there's recognition, because of the ABC Studios production card and it's still in use.
Well, the reason why I didn't say ABC is due to the fact that Disney's attempts to expand ABC outside North America came and went by which I mean the time when they launched ABC1 and while that channel was popular in the UK, I believe it wasn't profitable for Disney to continue it, hence why it shut down after three years of operation, hence I just wouldn't see it being the new name for the Fox branded channels.

Although, I do see them use the ABC name for probably in some countries outside North America but I do wonder if the FX name is owned by either Fox Corp or Disney since I'm confused on that part.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Well, the reason why I didn't say ABC is due to the fact that Disney's attempts to expand ABC outside North America came and went by which I mean the time when they launched ABC1 and while that channel was popular in the UK, I believe it wasn't profitable for Disney to continue it, hence why it shut down after three years of operation, hence I just wouldn't see it being the new name for the Fox branded channels.

Although, I do see them use the ABC name for probably in some countries outside North America but I do wonder if the FX name is owned by either Fox Corp or Disney since I'm confused on that part.

While it's true that Disney closed ABC1 because of the viewing ratings, but the one big factor for that reason was the lack of a prime-time slot on Freeview as there was a lack of capacity on the Freeview MUXs at the time, the channel wasn't even available in Wales because of both Channel 4 and S4C had to be available in the home nation. ABC1 missed out on some of ABC's best and higher-end programming at the time to Channel 4 and Sky, most notably - Lost.

Also, at the time, I think Disney had no clue or were arrogant on their approach to advertising on the channel, expecting a U.S. style advertising break to be acceptable on UK television which was somewhat offputting, the only other channel that had any association with Disney that had advertising at the time was Jetix, which was managed seperately. They had involvement in GMTV as well but that was mostly for the purposes of the children's programming and for being in an advisory capacity, having run Good Morning America on ABC. LWT and STV were (later as ITV as a whole being the only other shareholder in GMTV apart from Disney), in reality, the ones handling the advertising, as it was often the ITV companies to do so.

I don't think the failure was anything to do with the brand, brands are known to reappear on UK TV, and many other USA network brands are present on UK television such as the channel in question - FOX also CBS, PBS and (C)NBC, although Comcast prefers to use the Sky brand in Europe, CNBC is an international channel by nature.

Luckily, the international ABCs don't necessarily have to match the USA in terms of shows, just like FOX at the moment, they source shows from AMC, ABC and 20th Century Television and is a lot different to the original U.S. version. I think Disney actually owns the FX brand, as Fox Corp owns any brand with the word "FOX" wordmark, it's a possible name candidate for the channel, would be strange to see the channel to revert back to its original name in the UK and parts of the world, but same could be said for ABC too. If they wish to keep the "FOX Fanfare" and searchlight motif, my only other suggestion is to call the channel 20th Century Television.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
While it's true that Disney closed ABC1 because of the viewing ratings, but the one big factor for that reason was the lack of a prime-time slot on Freeview as there was a lack of capacity on the Freeview MUXs at the time, the channel wasn't even available in Wales because of both Channel 4 and S4C had to be available in the home nation. ABC1 missed out on some of ABC's best and higher-end programming at the time to Channel 4 and Sky, most notably - Lost.
Yeah, that's a shame though it's worth knowing that Scrubs was available on the channel around the same time that it was on E4 and Paramount Comedy 1 (now Comedy Central).

Also, at the time, I think Disney had no clue or were arrogant on their approach to advertising on the channel, expecting a U.S. style advertising break to be acceptable on UK television which was somewhat offputting, the only other channel that had any association with Disney that had advertising at the time was Jetix, which was managed seperately. They had involvement in GMTV as well but that was mostly for the purposes of the children's programming and for being in an advisory capacity, having run Good Morning America on ABC. LWT and STV were (later as ITV as a whole being the only other shareholder in GMTV apart from Disney), in reality, the ones handling the advertising, as it was often the ITV companies to do so.
Yikes.

I don't think the failure was anything to do with the brand, brands are known to reappear on UK TV, and many other USA network brands are present on UK television such as the channel in question - FOX also CBS, PBS and (C)NBC, although Comcast prefers to use the Sky brand in Europe, CNBC is an international channel by nature.
Oh, okay. That makes sense and CNBC isn't the only NBC brand that have appeared in Europe since during the Nineties, Super Channel was bought by General Electric and was rebranded as NBC Super Channel, then NBC Europe and then NBC Germany after it became unavailable outside said nation.

Luckily, the international ABCs don't necessarily have to match the USA in terms of shows, just like FOX at the moment, they source shows from AMC, ABC and 20th Century Television and is a lot different to the original U.S. version. I think Disney actually owns the FX brand, as Fox Corp owns any brand with the word "FOX" wordmark, it's a possible name candidate for the channel, would be strange to see the channel to revert back to its original name in the UK and parts of the world, but same could be said for ABC too. If they wish to keep the "FOX Fanfare" and searchlight motif, my only other suggestion is to call the channel 20th Century Television.
Well, it's worth knowing that FX used to be short for "Fox Extended", since it was after all Fox's first cable channel in North America.

J10

Due to technical problems to Yahsat, the signal for the satellite has been switched off this morning. Also, FOX Network Group ME Channels’ Uplink Frequency, controlled by DU, has been cut-off, and is now using Nilesat/Eutelsat Orbital Freuqncies (12092 V & 12360 V).
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also, Varzish TV (and other Tajik channels), Afghani Channels, BBC Arabic and BBC Persia, MBC Persia, and Farsi-Speaking GEM channels were also affected by these technical issues.

Last edited:

J10

Due to technical problems to Yahsat, the signal for the satellite has been switched off this morning. Also, FOX Network Group ME Channels’ Uplink Frequency, controlled by DU, has been cut-off, and is now using Nilesat/Eutelsat Orbital Freuqncies (12092 V & 12360 V).
View attachment 283063
View attachment 283064
View attachment 283065

Also, Varzish TV (and other Tajik channels), Afghani Channels, BBC Arabic and BBC Persia, MBC Persia, and Farsi-Speaking GEM channels were also affected by these technical issues.

Yahlive/Yahsat signals has returned back On-Air, after technical problems that lasts until tonight.

Also, in other news, Trace Urban and Trace Sport Stars has been added to their new frequency on Arabsat Badr (11919 H), and is encrypted with Irdeto, unlike their current frequency, which is decrypted, since few months ago. This means they’ll leave their old frequency at any moment. Unknown, whether My Zen TV & Duck TV will leave the frequency, or wouldn’t move to another frequency and cease transmission after their frequency (12360 V) switch off their signal.
image.jpg

RegularCapital

Staff member
Big changes at Disney and WarnerMedia over the weekend and today:

Disney Changes:

ABC Studios and its subsidiary ABC Signature, will merge and will use the ABC Signature Brand, it will be led by President Jonnie Davis.

Fox 21 Television Studios will now use the revived Touchstone Television brand, led by President Bert Salke (disappointed the logo doesn't feature a touchstone but rather typewriter text, the same as Fox 21 :confused:).

20th Century Fox Television and 20th Television will merge into a singular 20th Television brand, led by President Carolyn Cassidy.

I thought that I should bring this piece of news up as we've been talking about what to call the international FOX channels.

disney-television-studios-abc-signature-20th-century-fox-television-touchstone-television-logos.jpg

WarnerMedia Changes:

WarnerMedia Entertainment (the division that runs HBO, HBO Max, Otter Media and the ex-Turner entertainment channels) have merged with Warner Bros. to form a new Studios and Networks Group headed by Ann Sarnoff. This move reunites the old Turner assets except for News and Sports assets.

Leaving WarnerMedia are Bob Greenblatt, Chairman, WarnerMedia Entertainment and Direct-to-Consumer; Kevin Reilly, Chief Content Officer, HBO Max and president, TNT, TBS, and truTV; as well as Keith Cocozza, EVP of Corporate Marketing and Communications.

Also leaving are Jeffrey R. Schlesinger President, Warner Bros. Worldwide Television Distribution; Ron Sanders, President, Worldwide Theatrical Distribution & Home Entertainment and EVP, International Business Operations; and Kim Williams, EVP and Chief Financial Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment.

650 employees are expected to be redundant at Warner Bros., around 150-175 expected to go at HBO.

Oh, okay. That makes sense and CNBC isn't the only NBC brand that have appeared in Europe since during the Nineties, Super Channel was bought by General Electric and was rebranded as NBC Super Channel, then NBC Europe and then NBC Germany after it became unavailable outside said nation. Well, it's worth knowing that FX used to be short for "Fox Extended", since it was after all Fox's first cable channel in North America.

I can vaguely remember NBC Super Channel/Europe especially towards the end of its UK presence, Super Channel was among the first satellite channels in Europe. Yep, FX did mean Fox Extended, now any association to the FOX brand is lost, FX can now mean anything (Effects, maybe?).

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
All Flemish commercial channels will change their name except for VTM and VTM Kids o_O

Q2 will become VTM 2 starting August 31st, 2020
Vitaya will become VTM 3
CAZ will become VTM 4
It is unknown what will happen with CAZ 2. It launched on March 2nd, 2020. Maybe it will close down again. It's worthless anyway.

Q2, CAZ and CAZ 2 had no separate identity whatsoever, so I guess this is good news?

4 will become Play 4 in 2021 (or perhaps "Play Vier"?)
5 will become Play 5 (Play Vijf?)
ZES will become Play 6 (Play Zes?)
and a new channel will be launched called Play 7 (Play Zeven?)

Play refers to Telenet's expensive video-on-demand service, which has HBO series etc.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Fox 21 Television Studios will now use the revived Touchstone Television brand, led by President Bert Salke (disappointed the logo doesn't feature a touchstone but rather typewriter text, the same as Fox 21 :confused:).
I seriously don't know why they won't use the iconic logo for the new Touchstone.
Warner Media Entertainment (the division that runs HBO, HBO Max, Otter Media and the ex-Turner entertainment channels) have merged with Warner Bros. to form a new Studios and Networks Group headed by Ann Sarnoff. This move reunites the old Turner assets except for News and Sports assets.
Well, that's good news.

J10

My-HD IS DEAD (11)

Last night, Nautical Channel and Horse TV HD are now available on Arabsat, on 11919 H (frequency of the 4 new channels, that appeared on last Thursday).
View attachment 282738
View attachment 282737

My-HD IS DEAD (12)

Last night and today, there are only two changes on the defunct My-HD package, which are currently available only on GoBX receivers in 4 GCC Countries (KSA, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman). Here are the changes until now:
  • English Club got removed and is being replaced by Duck TV (subjected to be removed from their old frequency at any moment, which is currently broadcasting in FTA, clear), on the frequency of Arabsat Badr (11230 V).
  • Fight Network has returned to the MENA Region, after being removed from OSN in 2018. This channel has replaced Luxe TV on the same frequency.
image.jpg

1597237941369.jpeg

RegularCapital

Staff member
Sky Two to become Sky Replay and will move to channel 145 on Sky on Thursday 27th August, as the name suggests, it will air Sky One and Sky Witness repeats, basically a "shuffleshift" channel, basically Sky Two but with a new name that better reflects the channel. Sky Sports Mix channel will move to the Sports section of the Sky EPG on channel 416, next to Sky Sports Racing.

Francisque

Sky Two to become Sky Replay and will move to channel 145 on Sky on Thursday 27th August, as the name suggests, it will air Sky One and Sky Witness repeats, basically a "shuffleshift" channel, basically Sky Two but with a new name that better reflects the channel. Sky Sports Mix channel will move to the Sports section of the Sky EPG on channel 416, next to Sky Sports Racing.

And new Sky Sports NFL launches

RegularCapital

Staff member
And new Sky Sports NFL launches

This could mean the end of Sky Sports Action or it could move, there's Arena for the non-categorised sports at least, there's Mix and Main Event as well, but that's really for the popular sports. Sky to launch Sky Sports NFL

Didn't realise NFL is that popular here to justify a channel, I would've thought Rugby would have it's own channel. I know they have the odd match at Wembley now and again, and I can remember when it was on a Channel 5 late night on a Sunday. I guess Sky being owned by Comcast gives them leverage in negotiating the rights.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
So, Sky Italia has GINX Esports TV as part of the channel lineup.
But, since the end of July, for some reason, the channel doesn't appear anymore on the online guide. And it's the only channel that doesn't appear.
I'm getting quite worried over the fact it might get axed.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Smart idea, given that Sky Two barely resembles the original Sky 2.
Didn't realise NFL is that popular here to justify a channel, I would've thought Rugby would have it's own channel. I know they have the odd match at Wembley now and again, and I can remember when it was on a Channel 5 late night on a Sunday. I guess Sky being owned by Comcast gives them leverage in negotiating the rights.
NFL's popular enough on that there has been plans to have a London team aside from the Wembley matches.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts