General International TV Channels Thread

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
An ITV channel without the ITV name attached to it.

Sounds like the sort of thing I would see at the height of ONdigital, as Carlton Merit or Granada Meri

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
Art Attack got into Disney's hands through a different route, Neil Buchanan bought the rights from TVS as soon as they lost their franchise and then he set up his own company called The Media Merchants based at Maidstone Studios (and produced Art Attack in-association with Scottish Television), he then sold the company to Gullane, HIT bought Gullane out and then Disney purchased the rights from HIT. All roads lead to the juggernaut that is Disney. A lot of shows use shared resources if they require the exact the same set for their international versions, it's just cheaper and easier to do it that way, travel isn't much of an issue, as episodes are usually recorded in blocks at a time.

So the Latin American ART ATTACK was filmed in Argentina for the reboot seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
An ITV channel without the ITV name attached to it.

Sounds like the sort of thing I would see at the height of ONdigital, as Carlton Merit or Granada Meri
Well, the last ITV channel without the ITV name before the launch was Men and Motors, which shut down in summer 2010 to make way for ITV1 HD. I'm not counting JML Store, which was their joint venture with JML.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Well, the last ITV channel without the ITV name before the launch was Men and Motors, which shut down in summer 2010 to make way for ITV1 HD. I'm not counting JML Store, which was their joint venture with JML.

By then, ITV4 already launched focusing on the male demographic, making Men and Motors somewhat redundant, just not much of the Motors aspect of the channel was transferred though. I think that was their plan all along.

M&M and the other GSkyB channels already dropped their Granada branding years back, so it wasn't much of an issue for the newly merged ITV to continue the channel, and by then, they've already bought out Sky's share as their assistance was no longer needed.

Back in the days of ITV regional companies, it was useful for Granada and Sky to partner up. Still, ITV became mostly one entity and was now capable of running things themselves and would rather have everything (well, there's the odd exception) under their branding.

I can remember visiting the Granada Studios Tour in Manchester as a child; there was an exhibit about the different GSkyB channels.

What I found ironic is that during the days of ITV Digital vs Sky rivalry, Granada and Sky jointly owned channels, back then on Sky, ITV wasn't available until late 2001. Knowing that ITV Digital wasn't going to survive the next few months, it was probably best for them to get a presence on Sky as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
By then, ITV4 already launched focusing on the male demographic, making Men and Motors somewhat redundant, just not much of the Motors aspect of the channel was transferred though. I think that was their plan all along.

M&M and the other GSkyB channels already dropped their Granada branding years back, so it wasn't much of an issue for the newly merged ITV to continue the channel, and by then, they've already bought out Sky's share as their assistance was no longer needed.

Back in the days of ITV regional companies, it was useful for Granada and Sky to partner up. Still, ITV became mostly one entity and was now capable of running things themselves and would rather have everything (well, there's the odd exception) under their branding.

I can remember visiting the Granada Studios Tour in Manchester as a child; there was an exhibit about the different GSkyB channels.

What I found ironic is that during the days of ITV Digital vs Sky rivalry, Granada and Sky jointly owned channels, back then on Sky, ITV wasn't available until late 2001. Knowing that ITV Digital wasn't going to survive the next few months, it was probably best for them to get a presence on Sky as quickly as possible.
Correct and Plus was shut down abruptly after ITV bought their channel slot on Sky for their new channel ITV3, not to mention that several shows on Plus would eventually air on ITV3.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Stingray Hits! (a music channel available in Canada and Belgium in French and Dutch) closed down today on August 1st in Belgium, however, they are still airing music at the moment, so I'm not sure what is going on :sweat:

It was basically a replacement for TMF.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
For add to the closures, a minor one.
Sky Italia closed its Sky Music "service", a bunch of genre-specific radios. We're left with just MTV Music as exclusive music channel. (And technically Classica, I guess?)

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
@themidnightlore Nope. It was backed by TimeWarner, HBO Europe specifically, and TV Max.

@Tacomaster The video has been deleted before I backed it up, so sadly not. The original link was this for what it's worth.

Different example of this is for example this:

There was a third one. That one was for Yu-Gi-Oh on KidsWB, whereas the CZ promo was for Spiderman. See this:

This is something NOBODY knew about.

Last edited:

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
In Venezuela, the private TV industry is shrinking due to the incoming rise of state-owned TV. Venevision hasn't produced ANY non-live TV show since 2018. With VENEVISION and Televen producing their programs from home and the country putting their Digital TV switchovers on hold its unknown if HD will be coming to Venezuelan FTA TV?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts