General International TV Channels Thread

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Wait, Discovery Civilisation and Science are the LA versions? Very odd!
How do they handle the very different time zones?
They don't. Promos are bland and don't show the timezones and the schedule is bland as well due to those channels not being available on every major TV provider in Portugal or Latin America.

Francisque

They don't. Promos are bland and don't show the timezones and the schedule is bland as well due to those channels not being available on every major TV provider in Portugal or Latin America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7PUF9UVpg
I suppose that the promos look like this; the channel also seems to suffer of NTSC "compression".. it'd be better if the channels are shared with Spain only

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Legend tells it that when the National Geographic Channel arrived to Portugal in January 2001, it was literally the Brazilian feed. I recall seeing it in May 2002, the shows were all subtitled and dubbed into Brazilian Portuguese and the ads were literally Brazilian.
One of the ads I recall from that era was an ad where a woman was calling someone else at a bathroom with water filling it at the level of the bathtub.

Mariana

This is pure magic to the highest level
-Discovery Science (feed taken from Latin America, breaks are in a mix of Latin American Spanish with Portuguese, shows are subtitled into European Portuguese)
-Discovery Civilization (same as Discovery Science)
-Discovery Turbo (same as Discovery Science as Civilization, and I think that the reason why it can no longer be seen is because of the recent acquisition of Eurosport)

Are the channels aired with the Brazilian Portuguese audio track?

///

Globosat belongs to Rede Globo. It leads the Brazilian Pay-TV markets in the number of channels. Most of them are available in basic packages.

- +Globosat (HD and SD)
- GNT (HD and SD)
- SporTV 1 (HD and SD)
- SporTV 2 (HD and SD)
- SporTV 3 (SD)
- SporTV 4 (SD)
- Multishow (HD and SD, also +1 feed is available in November till March every year)
- Bis (HD and SD)
- Viva (HD and SD)
- OFF (HD and SD)
- Gloob (HD and SD)
- Telecine Premium (HD and SD)
- Telecine Action (HD and SD)
- Telecine Fun (HD and SD)
- Telecine Touch (HD and SD)
- Telecine Pipoca (HD and SD)
- Telecine Cult (HD and SD)
- Universal Channel (HD and SD)
- Syfy (SD)
- Studio Universal (SD)
- Globo News (HD and SD)
- Canal Brasil (SD)
- Megapix (HD and SD)
- Premiere 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 and 10. (Only Premiere 1 and 2 are in HD. The rest of the Premiere are in SD)
- Big Brother Brasil (HD and SD)
- Combate (HD and SD)
- Futura (SD)
- 6 adult channels (Just one of them is available in HD, the rest of the channels are in SD)

Mariana

One of the ads I recall from that era was an ad where a woman was calling someone else at a bathroom with water filling it at the level of the bathtub.

I don't know the reason that on soap operas and in ads they show people in a bathtub. This is just for rich people (I have one but my family isn't rich).

And is it not a commercial about soap or shampoo?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I don't know the reason that on soap operas and in ads they show people in a bathtub. This is just for rich people (I have one but my family isn't rich).

And is it not a commercial about soap or shampoo?
I only remember a scene from that mysterious commercial, the brand and product: I don't remember.
Discovery Science, Civilization and Turbo aired shows in their original language with EU-PT subtitles.
I recall seeing a Bbrazilian show on Discovery Turbo in 2009, it was subtitled into EU-PT.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Virgin Media has announced that they're going to update the design of the TiVo EPG.
The background will become purple. There will also be a new menu structure (especially for recordings), an increase in speed performance, new logo, HTML5 apps (to replace the Flash ones) and Opera Browser TV apps.
The updates will start rolling out nationally from the end of October.

'Plum' TiVo update from Virgin Media adds new features | Expert Reviews

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Virgin Media has announced that they're going to update the design of the TiVo EPG.
The background will become purple. There will also be a new menu structure (especially for recordings), an increase in speed performance, new logo, HTML5 apps (to replace the Flash ones) and Opera Browser TV apps.
The updates will start rolling out nationally from the end of October.

'Plum' TiVo update from Virgin Media adds new features | Expert Reviews
Nice update, I wonder if NOS will launch a new decoder with features similar to that one.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I recall seeing a Bbrazilian show on Discovery Turbo in 2009, it was subtitled into EU-PT.
It is more or less the same situation over here.

The Flemish news (''Het Journaal'') has got a lot of Hollandic reporters.
Shows from the Netherlands aren't subtitled into Dutch. (but you can always turn on Teletekst page 888 for subtitles with black bars)
Most cartoons are dubbed by Hollandic voice actors.

Meanwhile Flemish shows are subtitled in the Netherlands, mostly because the actors use incorrect words to make it look more ''natural''.
Only a few Flemish dubbings are used in the Netherlands: the first episodes of LazyTown, Sitting Ducks (partly Dutch, partly Flemish) and everything with Timon & Pumbaa in it.

Flemish children shows (which used to be very popular in the Netherlands) aren't subtitled, because the actors don't use any incorrect words.
Shows like Het Huis Anubis contain Flemish actors and Hollandic actors.

EDIT: The winner from the annual show HET GROOT DICTEE DER NEDERLANDSE TAAL (''The Great (/Big) Dictation of the Dutch language'') is mostly someone from Flanders :)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
It is more or less the same situation over here.

The Flemish news (''Het Journaal'') has got a lot of Hollandic reporters.
Shows from the Netherlands aren't subtitled into Dutch. (but you can always turn on Teletekst page 888 for subtitles with black bars)
Most cartoons are dubbed by Hollandic voice actors.

Meanwhile Flemish shows are subtitled in the Netherlands, mostly because the actors use incorrect words to make it look more ''natural''.
Only a few Flemish dubbings are used in the Netherlands: the first episodes of LazyTown, Sitting Ducks (partly Dutch, partly Flemish) and everything with Timon & Pumbaa in it.

Flemish children shows (which used to be very popular in the Netherlands) aren't subtitled, because the actors don't use any incorrect words.
Shows like Het Huis Anubis contain Flemish actors and Hollandic actors.

EDIT: The winner from the annual show HET GROOT DICTEE DER NEDERLANDSE TAAL (''The Great (/Big) Dictation of the Dutch language'') is mostly someone from Flanders :)
SIC airs Globo's telenovelas. They air them with subtitles through teletext page 888 (their teletext service is a bit outdated), for the few people who can't understand the BR-PT way of talking.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I hope they will sign a contract with TiVo, they already have TiVo on ONO and Com Hem etc.
But I don't know if that's possible.
MEO and Vodafone (both IPTV providers) have loads of applications. I haven't had the opportunity to use Vodafone TV but I got to see MEO's apps on a semi-regular basis.
On those providers, radio stations can be accessed from the interactive menu.
MEO is the only provider over here that carries foreign radio stations (lots of them), from the Spanish M80 to the BBC radio stations, from some France Radio stations to a handful of other stations from the lusophone world.
MEO also has "MEO Kanal", where people make their own channel.
My provider (NOS) has recently added an app where you can see most YouTube videos.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Hey, nice thread. Thanks for creating it. Good stuff we can find here.

I thought I'd share something as well.

Here's a list of international brands/channels in the Czech Republic and Slovakia that have their own fully localized separate feed (graphics + vo/sub + ads):

AXN
C8
Fashion TV
Film+
Golf Channel
HBO
National Geographic Channel
Universal Channel

As you can see, it's not many.

In the past it also used to be MTV, before it shut down this year, and Animax.

In the future it should be also MTV (re-launch in 2015), Disney Channel (feed split), Nickelodeon (feed split), Discovery Channel (feed split), History (feed split), Nat Geo Wild (feed split), HBO2 (feed split), HBO Comedy (feed split), AMC (feed split), Cinemax (feed split), Cinemax 2 (feed split).

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
In the past it also used to be MTV, before it shut down this year, and Animax.
I didn't know that the Czech MTV closed.
We have had our own feed for eleven years, it's still alive, still "healthy".
List of MTV Networks channels available in Portugal:
-MTV PT
-Nickelodeon PT (a NOS exclusive since the 2005 launch)
-VH1 (European feed airing exclusively music)
-MTV Music 24 (European feed from MTV Unlimited)
-VH1 Classic (from MTV Unlimited, formerly British feed until 2007)
-MTV Rocks (British feed from MTV Unlimited)
-MTV Dance (British feed from MTV Unlimited)

FORMER BRANDS:
-MTV Base (Replaced by MTV Dance, British feed from MTV Unlimited)
-MTV Hits (Portugal used to have that channel until 2007, I wonder why? Still around in most of Europe, British feed from MTV Unlimited)

Francisque

MTV Rocks, Dance, Hits, Classic British versions outside of the UK and Ireland have recently been replaced by the European versions; similar contents, but no UK Top 10 and the likes, no UK ads, no banners and 24 hrs (no 3hrs Teleshopping).. as a result these versions are now also more boring
Sky Italia kept showing the UK versions until recently; however the EPG was for a longer time the one from the Euro versions.. I wonder why!
MTV Live UK and Intl. are mostly the same version : just the UK one is timeshifted +1hr because of the different timezones, and the promos are sometimes different (maybe also the ads are also added in the UK version)
Let's also remember that MTV Live UK kept staying like MTVNHD for a longer time (it was the only MTV channel in the UK and Europe to stay with the old "Music Television" logo) until it finally rebranded and launched an "SD simulcast" (initially the MTV LIve HD graphics were also shown on the SD feed; but later they've decided to stay with a "MTV Live" branding for both UK and European versions)

We have a little selection of pan-European channels here in Italy; for example:
Eurosport HD (Europe), Eurosport 2 HD (Western Europe); Eurosport and Eurosport 2 Italian versions are actually more localised than I thought they were (because there are local reporters), actually the "split" from the pan-European versions is only in UK, France and Germany, while ES2 is more varied
Extreme Sports Channel HD is also the pan-Euro version subtitled: it has a lot of fillers instead of ads..

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
MTV Rocks, Dance, Hits, Classic British versions outside of the UK and Ireland have recently been replaced by the European versions; similar contents, but no UK Top 10 and the likes, no UK ads, no banners and 24 hrs (no 3hrs Teleshopping).. as a result these versions are now also more boring
Sky Italia kept showing the UK versions until recently; however the EPG was for a longer time the one from the Euro versions.. I wonder why!
Does that mean... no more British ads?!
I don't know when did this happen, but weeks ago, the NOS store at Minho Center had the TV turned to MTV Rocks (still airing the British version). Maybe MTV Unlimited was aware of the situation on three of their channels.

Francisque

Does that mean... no more British ads?!
I don't know when did this happen, but weeks ago, the NOS store at Minho Center had the TV turned to MTV Rocks (still airing the British version). Maybe MTV Unlimited was aware of the situation on three of their channels.
Yep, no more British ads and no more British banners about MTV UK stuff.. I think MTV Unlimited was the first to change the channels; MTV Italia must've been one of the fewest or the only one to receive the channels from a different source (from Sky UK) rather than MTV Unlimited

BTW We in Italy only receive MTV Rocks and MTV Dance as the European versions (which replaced the old Italian MTV Brand:New and MTV Pulse), MTV Hits, Classic and Music (for FTA) are Italian versions

http://www.parabola.cz/zpravicky/21915/mezinarodni-mtv-dance-mtv-rocks-a-mtv-hits-s-ceskou-licenci/ Here's an article about the change in Czech

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Yep, no more British ads and no more British banners about MTV UK stuff.. I think MTV Unlimited was the first to change the channels; MTV Italia must've been one of the fewest or the only one to receive the channels from a different source (from Sky UK) rather than MTV Unlimited
I haven't seen those channels in months and I can't confirm if NOS is still transmitting the British versions or if they made the switch.

Mariana

MTV Brazil was a terrestrial channel during 23 years. In 2013, Grupo Abril (this company owned the rights over here) sent the rights to Viacom and now MTV is a pay-TV channel. :)

The last minutes of MTV Brazil on terrestrial system:

[video=youtube;T4HxXdiVVMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4HxXdiVVMc[/video]

The exclusive look of MTV Brazil was so cool. :'( It's better than the current look.

The first minutes of MTV Brazil on pay-TV system:

[video=youtube;tCgWnC5Wqs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgWnC5Wqs0[/video]

Fun fact:

The "new" MTV was launched 6 hours after the closed down of terrestrial channel.

///

MTV Networks in Brazil:

- Nickelodeon
- Nickelodeon HD
- Nick Jr. (pan-regional, the promos are in English but the announcer says the Brazilian hour such: Dora The Explorer! New episodes at 15:00 on Nick Jr!)
- VH1 (HD and SD)
- VH1 HD
- VH1 Mega Hits
- Comedy Central (HD and SD)
- MTV (HD and SD)

Coming soon:

- Paramount Channel (replacing VH1 HD/SD)

MTV Networks channels that aren't available in Brazil:

- NickToons: This channel has a Portuguese audiotrack and the promos are a mix of POR/SPA but the channel isn't available over here.
- MTV Hits
- MTV Live (HD and SD)

Mariana

SIC airs Globo's telenovelas. They air them with subtitles through teletext page 888 (their teletext service is a bit outdated), for the few people who can't understand the BR-PT way of talking.

This situation happens in Brazil too. Globo* every year makes a documentary about Portugal to air on Globo Repórter and they air them substitled if a Portuguese person is talking. I have no problem to understand Portuguese people.

*Or any channel, but I'm using Globo as an example.

Do you can understand a Brazilian talking, RandomMe?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts