General International TV Channels Thread

Mariana

This is pure magic to the highest level

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I hope the channel does not be exclusive at one operator. :(

Yay! It's a Brazilian channel. :D It's exclusive for Sky over here but ZooMoo seems to be very bad.
1: Probably they will launch on NOS and MEO.
2: There it also an Asian version of it, currently it's exclusive to Singapore.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I hope the channel does not be exclusive at one operator. :(

Yay! It's a Brazilian channel. :D It's exclusive for Sky over here but ZooMoo seems to be very bad.

Oh dear the channel doesn't sound good then :/ The DirecTV launch is mostly for Spanish speaking Latin America.

They have Record TV (International) on Sky UK.

The foreign channels we get in the UK are mostly South Asian, such as Star Plus, Sony Entertainment Asia, Zee TV etc.

There's CCTV News, NHK World, Al Jazeera, NDTV and eNCA etc in terms of news channels on Sky.

Virgin doesn't carry as many channels as Sky, but luckily some of these are FTA.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
[MENTION=56671]RegularCapital[/MENTION]: Our TV providers are very receptive to foreign channels (RTR Planeta, CCTV 4, KBS World and others) so we don't get loads of South Asian channels.

RegularCapital

Staff member
[MENTION=56671]RegularCapital[/MENTION]: Our TV providers are very receptive to foreign channels (RTR Planeta, CCTV 4, KBS World and others) so we don't get loads of South Asian channels.

We only get these channels because of the large Indian and South Asian community in the UK, there's also a large Polish community but they can receive nc+ or Polsat with ease, hence the absence of these channels on Sky.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
[MENTION=56671]RegularCapital[/MENTION]: My country has a fair amount of Chinese immigrants working here. Since last week they have the most Chinese channels around:
-Phoenix Chinese News and Entertainment (Chinese)
-Phoenix Infonews (Chinese)
-CCTV News (English)
-CCTV 4 (Chinese with most shows subtitled into English)
Just to give you an idea of how it looks liek over here.

RegularCapital

Staff member
[MENTION=31341]Reg[/MENTION]ukarCapital: My country has a fair amount of Chinese immigrants working here. Since last week they have the most Chinese channels around:
-Phoenix Chinese News and Entertainment (Chinese)
-Phoenix Infonews (Chinese)
-CCTV News (English)
-CCTV 4 (Chinese with most shows subtitled into English)
Just to give you an idea of how it looks liek over here.

Sky also has PCNE, I remember having it on Analogue Cable and when I had Sky.

RegularCapital

Staff member
On the topic of S4C, here is the video of when their Analogue service closed down on 31st March 2010, they ended their service respectfully with a montage. The Analogue version of S4C aired Channel 4 shows, as Channel 4 wasn't available on analogue terrestrial. When Digital TV launched, Channel 4 became available in Wales and S4C Digidol only aired shows in Welsh.

[video=youtube;emm3fXAAMRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emm3fXAAMRo[/video]

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Nobody cared about ASO over here. It just went to this caption:
tdt+4.jpg

No montages or anything, it was quick and unexpected.

RegularCapital

Staff member
No montages or anything, it was quick and unexpected.

Most channels just pulled the plug but just displayed a message before the transmissions were switched off, the BBC was more informative than ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
If there is one other thing I have to give the BBC and the other terrestrial networks credit for, is that they apologise when there are technical problems.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Most channels just pulled the plug but just displayed a message before the transmissions were switched off, the BBC was more informative than ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
If there is one other thing I have to give the BBC and the other terrestrial networks credit for, is that they apologise when there are technical problems.
That is apart from the stickers that appeared on screen before the switch-off:
Televisao_analogica_contador.jpg

There were six bugs, "3 SEMANAS" was yellow, "2 SEMANAS" was orange, "1 SEMANA", "AMANHÃ" and "HOJE" were red.

RegularCapital

Staff member
That is apart from the stickers that appeared on screen before the switch-off:
Televisao_analogica_contador.jpg

There were six bugs, "3 SEMANAS" was yellow, "2 SEMANAS" was orange, "1 SEMANA", "AMANHÃ" and "HOJE" were red.

At least they given people an advanced warning, in the UK the ASO was done by ITV region, my local Switchover happened in September 2011.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
At least they given people an advanced warning, in the UK the ASO was done by ITV region, my local Switchover happened in September 2011.
The ASO over here started with the central and southern coast in January, then the rest of the country switched off until April, which included the Minho region, where I live.

Moleoman

List of children's TV channels in Poland:
- Cartoon Network PL
- Boomerang CEE
- Disney Channel PL (launched on 2nd December 2006, until 31st July 2010 it was the simulcast of DC MEA in Polish)
- Disney XD PL (launched on 19th September 2009)
- Disney Junior CEMA (launched on 1st September 2010 as Playhouse Disney Poland/Turkey)
- teleTOON+ (launched 16th April 1999, it was known previously as MiniMax (April 1999-October 2004) and ZigZap (October 2004-September 2011)) - Canal+'s children channel that shows various series. It's history is a bit complicated. It was launched as MiniMax, which on its first year its schedule looked like a "trash can" for non-WB cartoons and live-action series shown previously on Canal+ Poland and TVP's channels. teleTOON+'s broadcast time are currently 06:00-02:00, after it swallowed the night-time games programming channel called "Hyper+" (previously Hyper+, launched in September 2001, by replacing Game One).
- MiniMini+ (launched 20th December 2003 as MiniMini) - teleTOON+'s sister channel, which is aimed at preschoolers. Broadcasts between 05:00-21:00.
- CBeebies Poland (launched on 2nd December 2007) - it mostly shows BBC's kids programming. It also has got its own continuity host - Aneta Piotrowska.
- Polsat JimJam (launched on 19th November 2009) - a joint-venture between Polsat and AMC (previously Chellomedia). At first it was just a JimJam Pan-Euro simulcast, then on May 2010 started to air Polish commercials. Starting from February 2012 (with tests on December 2011) it started to show cartoons not shown on Pan-European JimJam like "The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures", "Little Bear", "Reksio", "Bolek and Lolek", "Anatole", "Timothy Goes to School" and more. The channel fully separated from JimJam Pan-Euro on 1st July 2013.
- Nickelodeon Poland
- Nick Jr. Global
- Nickelodeon HD Pan-Euro
- Baby TV Europe (it broadcasts also in Polish)
- Da Vinci Learning CEE
- TVP ABC - TVP's own children channel launched on 15th February 2014. It shows mostly the kids programmes from TVP's archives and some original programming.

DEFUNCT POLISH LANGUAGE TV CHILDREN CHANNELS:
- Jetix Poland (until 31st December 2004 known as Fox Kids Poland) - launched on 18th April 1998, first as part of Wizja TV platform. It was replaced by Disney XD Poland)
- Jetix Play (until 31st December 2004 as Fox Kids Play) - it was Jetix's sister channel aimed at preschoolers and young kids which was basically a trash can for old Fox Kids programmes.
- ATV Smyk (199?-1999) - ATV's children channel which mostly aired Polish cartoons and some European series.
- Junior (1999-2002, until 2000 known as Smyk) - Polsat's first children channel launched on 1st April 1999 and during its first months it showed the cartoons previously showcased on ATV Smyk until September 1999 when that programming was replaced with repeats of old cartoon series shown on Polsat.
- Fantastic (1999-2001) - a really obscure channel by Zone Vision which was only avalaible in Poland on some cable operators. The programming mostly consisted of Nickledoen shows and shows distributed by Igel Media (which also included Xilam cartoons).
- KidsCo (2007-2013)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts