General International TV Channels Thread

Francisque

Yes, I agree, a +24 service is already crazy enough, having it on Freeview is a step too far.
5* or 5USA could become Spike TV, there was really no reason why Sky should close Bravo, I can see the reasoning of why they closed Virgin 1/Channel One though.
Who knows, even CMT could make a comeback, but I highly doubt it though. :D
I agree; I can't see CMT launching there however..
I doubt that they'd liket o move Nick or CC on Freeview in the UK market

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Fox Italia has just announced that it'll launch two new channels: Fox Animation and Fox Comedy
The second one, I could understand (and it's more comp'etition for Comedy Central, which here sucks bad), but Fox Animation will just be repeats of Simpsons, Family Guy etc. they already had this channel as a replacement of Fox +2 for Christmas, but now it's permanent..
The logos: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKxqNXIMAADo-D.jpg , https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKwcf6IUAAP2A8.jpg

It's possible that this will be the end of the +2 Fox, Fox Life and Fox Crime channels
Fox Retro I think it's here to stay
FOX is probably investing in new brands.
FOX Life and Crime will end? Over here the channels are healthy, especially FOX Life.

Francisque

FOX is probably investing in new brands.
FOX Life and Crime will end? Over here the channels are healthy, especially FOX Life.
Life and Crime ending? Are you joking? Fox, F Life and F Crime are their oldest and most watched brands, only FX was a flop (later it became more like Sky Atlantic, but still it was flopping)
They are only investing in new brands, just as ITV launching ITV Be and ITV Encore

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Life and Crime ending? Are you joking? Fox, F Life and F Crime are their oldest and most watched brands, only FX was a flop (later it became more like Sky Atlantic, but still it was flopping)
They are only investing in new brands, just as ITV launching ITV Be and ITV Encore
I just misunderstood.
FX proceeded to save from a quasi-limbo when the new look debuted over here,

RegularCapital

Staff member
Fox Italia has just announced that it'll launch two new channels: Fox Animation and Fox Comedy
The second one, I could understand (and it's more comp'etition for Comedy Central, which here sucks bad), but Fox Animation will just be repeats of Simpsons, Family Guy etc. they already had this channel as a replacement of Fox +2 for Christmas, but now it's permanent..
The logos: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKxqNXIMAADo-D.jpg , https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKwcf6IUAAP2A8.jpg

It's possible that this will be the end of the +2 Fox, Fox Life and Fox Crime channels
Fox Retro I think it's here to stay

A Fox Animation channel sounds cool, but they wouldn't have many shows in the schedule.

Francisque

I just misunderstood.
FX proceeded to save from a quasi-limbo when the new look debuted over here,
FX had many "identity crises"; it launched as a Bravo-like channel,but unlike UK Bravo it was a male/lowbrow kind of channel with some retro shows in between, it was quite disliked, and it didn't improve much.. it stayed on its bubble for a few time,, repeating the same formula, until the channel added some more "highbrow" shows from the likes of HBO etc.
Then FX rebranded completely and became a sort of Sky Atlantic/HBO kind of channel with only US stuff: but the channel still suffered, because of: "old bad reputation", not too much promotion of it on the other channels, pushed far from the other Fox channels, no 16:9 or HD, so they decided to just close it down and put the most watched from it on other Fox channels
I do not think Fox Comedy and Fox Animation will be like "FX" or the main Fox channels; they'll probably be just repeating stuff from the three main channels

Francisque

A Fox Animation channel sounds cool, but they wouldn't have many shows in the schedule.
Indeed; for me it's just a "Fox+2" in disguise..
Fox Comedy may be less "Fox-centric", but still it has to be seen; if we start removing comedies and animation shows from the main Fox channels, then I do not know what they'll be showing most of the time, so I expect the channels to just be some sort of "companions" rather than different brands such as FX or Fox Life
And I don't know if the channel will be 24/7. I think that the temporary channel was linear.
It was just a bunch of repeats, repeats and repeats during Christmas..

BTW the +2 channels will close down indeed; Fox Retro will be pushed far from the other Fox channels, and its future may be at risk

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
It was just a bunch of repeats, repeats and repeats during Christmas..

BTW the +2 channels will close down indeed; Fox Retro will be pushed far from the other Fox channels, and its future may be at risk
Where's the confirmation on the fact that the +2 channels will shut down?
We were supposed to have a FOX Retro channel in 2009, but the plans eventually didn't proceed. Eventually it turned into FOX's overnight block over here.

Francisque

Where's the confirmation on the fact that the +2 channels will shut down?
We were supposed to have a FOX Retro channel in 2009, but the plans eventually didn't proceed. Eventually it turned into FOX's overnight block over here.
Today there has been a "Sky Upfront event" for the Autumn, so there's been a few announcements (n0othing from Turner, sadly):
Sky & Fox: Upfronts 2014/2015.

Apparently Girl Meets World will have its Italian title in English, meh ..

I think Fox Retro will just close down soon; the channel is now becoming like FX..

Francisque

How come? Because of the amount of shows they air?
Or just because of the ratings?
It's not promoted as it was , the channel has too many repeats and it's been pushed further from the other Fox channels with the recent EPG reshuffle and even the ratings are not that good
Now it'll be pushed even further with Fox Comedy and Animation (they prefer to have these new creations at higher EPG positions than a channel like Retro); as we have seen with Boomerang and Toon Disney, a channel with old shows only in this era does not give enough revenues

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Now it'll be pushed even further with Fox Comedy and Animation (they prefer to have these new creations at higher EPG positions than a channel like Retro); as we have seen with Boomerang and Toon Disney, a channel with old shows only in this era does not give enough revenues
Is it me or do those new creations look like mobile channels? Judging by the amount of repeats, in this case.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
"Mobile channels"? What you mean?
BTW Fox Retro has also closed down in South Africa
Channels that were available on mobile devices years ago and aired the same shows over and over and over again.
It seems that FOX Retro has passed all ambitions.

RegularCapital

Staff member
It's not promoted as it was , the channel has too many repeats and it's been pushed further from the other Fox channels with the recent EPG reshuffle and even the ratings are not that good

Fox Animation would be a unique case compared to other cartoon channels, it would have to be placed in the Entertainment section, Fox's animated shows aren't really suitable for children.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Fox Animation would be a unique case compared to other cartoon channels, it would have to be placed in the Entertainment section, Fox's animated shows aren't really suitable for children.
There are lots of people who believed that The Simpsons was aimed at kids, when, in reality, it isn't.
You can't place FOX Animation next to Disney Channel, Cartoon Network and the like.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts