General International TV Channels Thread

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
This situation happens in Brazil too. Globo every year makes a documentary about Portugal to air on Globo Repórter and they air them substitled if a Portuguese person is talking. I have no problem to understand Portuguese people.

*Or any channel, but I'm using Globo as an example

Do you can understand Brazilian Portuguese?
I can understand it.
Most people over here can. (Thanks, Globo's telenovelas!)
By the way, SIC airs Brazilian reports from either Globo or SIC's correspondent. Some of these images come from Globo NEWS.
SIC's domestic cable networks:
-SIC Mulher (Female-oriented channel with original and acquired programming, featuring lifestyle shows, American daytime talk shows, general shows like Friends and talent shows like America's Got Talent)
-SIC Radical (Youth-oriented channel, however it was once an actual youth channel with loads of original productions, anime and imports, now the channel airs mostly reality shows, Spanish shows and the original content seen on the channel is still related to the channel's origins)
-SIC Notícias (News channel, which resulted from the acquisition of CNL (Canal de Notícias de Lisboa) - Portugal's first news channel. It also airs documentaries, especially Toda a Verdade or Panorama BBC, whose documentaries premiere overnight and are then repeated throughout the weekend.)
-SIC K (The channel broadcasts unknown shows as well as some anime (in Japanese with EU-PT subtitles) and also airs local shows like Factor K and Os Tótis).
-SIC Caras (Based on the magazine, it airs celebrity-related shows as well as some unfitting shows like American Idol and The OC)

DEFUNCT CHANNELS:
-SIC Gold (This was SIC's first cable channel, serving as a "trash can" for SIC's old shows.)
-SIC Sempre Gold (Technically it didn't replace SIC Gold, it was just a rebrand, but the channel was completely different from it's predecessor: it added some classic shows but still had SIC Gold's practice to repeat Primeiro Jornal and Jornal da Noite a few hours after they initially aired on the main channel)
-SIC Comédia (A comedy channel which existed for a little over two years. The channel closed due to SIC's decision.)
-SIC Especial (A MEO-exclusive channel that covered the first edition of the Portuguese version of The Biggest Loser (Peso Pesado) in 2011 in the style of TVI Direct).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Viacom networks in the Netherlands:
-Nickelodeon/TeenNick NL
-Nick Jr. NL
-NickHits NL
-MTV NL
-Comedy Central NL
-Comedy Central Extra NL
-Comedy Central Family NL

-NickToons NL/DE
-those pan-European music channels

Viacom networks in Flanders:
-Nickelodeon/TeenNick FL
-Nick Jr. FL
-MTV FL
-TMF FL (Comedy Central FL from 20:00 until 00:00)

-NickHits NL
-NickToons NL/DE
-those pan-European music channels

RegularCapital

Staff member
@Mariana: Interesting that MTV Brazil was FTA on Terrestrial.

UK Viacom Channels

MTV UK (SD, HD, +1 Timeshift) was called MTV One between 2007-2009, replaced MTV Europe in the UK in 1997, scheduling now based on the defunct MTV Shows/MTV R.
MTV Music (SD, Music scheduling transferred from the "Old" MTV UK)
MTV Base (SD)^
MTV Dance (SD)^
MTV Rocks (SD)^
MTV Classic (SD)^
MTV Hits (SD)
MTV Live (SD, HD, Pan Feed, was broadcast from Poland, now UK, still administrated in Poland)
VH1 (SD)
Viva (SD)
BET (SD, +1 Timeshift, Pan-Feed based in the UK)
Channel 5 (SD, HD, +1 and +24 Timeshifts :D)
5*
Five US/5USA
Comedy Central (SD, HD, +1 Timeshift, 75% owned with BSkyB)
Comedy Central Extra (SD, 75% owned with BSkyB)
Nickelodeon (SD, HD, +1 Timeshift, 60% owned with BSkyB)
Nick Jr (SD, +1 Timeshift, 60% owned with BSkyB)
Nick Jr. 2 (SD, 60% owned with BSkyB)
Nicktoons (SD, +1 Timeshift, 60% owned with BSkyB)

Defunct UK Viacom Channels:

The Paramount Channel (Became Paramount Comedy)
Paramount Comedy (Became Comedy Central)
Paramount Comedy 2 (Became Comedy Central Extra)
Nicktoonsters (Became Nicktoons +1)
Five Life (Became Fiver, wasn't owned by Viacom at the time)
Fiver (Became 5*, wasn't owned by Viacom at the time)
TMF (Became Viva)
CMT (Pan European Feed, wasn't owned by Viacom at the time)
VH1 Classic (Became MTV Classic)
MTVN HD (Became MTV Live)
M2 (Became MTV2)
MTV2/MTV Two (Became MTV Rocks)
MTV Extra (Became MTV Hits)
VH2 (Replaced by MTV Flux)
MTV Flux (Became MTV UK +1 Timeshift)
MTV R (Became MTV Shows)
MTV Shows (Became the schedule basis for the "New" Entertainment only version of MTV UK)
Nick Jr Peppa (Temporary Rebrands of Nick Jr 2)

^ Former Pan-European Versions

There's also those CBS channels co-owned with AMC, but CBS isn't technically part of Viacom anymore, it's more like a separate sister company.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
[MENTION=56671]RegularCapital[/MENTION]: Wasn't MTVNHD controlled from Warsaw? Or was it controlled from both places (London and Warsaw)?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Kids channels with Portuguese licenses:
-Canal Panda
-Biggs
-SIC K

PROPOSED CHANNELS:
-RTP's unnamed kids channel (launch delayed due to lack of money)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
We never had MTVN HD/MTV Live HD/MTV Live, we were supposed to get it in 2009, but that was apparently a rumor.

Francisque

We never had MTVN HD/MTV Live HD/MTV Live, we were supposed to get it in 2009, but that was apparently a rumor.
And we only got it later than other European counterparts (1 Feb. 2012); the channel launched on the 15th September 2008; it rebranded as from MTVNHD to MTV Live HD on 1st July 2011, but in the UK on the 23th April (along with MTV Live SD)
It has recently been dropped in Germany and few time ago in France (since the launch of their main French MTV channels in HD: MTV · MTV Base · MTV Pulse · MTV Idol); however they still have Game One HD counterpart, Game One Music HD (game channel + music videos added) as a different non-simulcast version, for some reasons

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
And we only got it later than other European counterparts (1 Feb. 2012); the channel launched on the 15th September 2008; it rebranded as from MTVNHD to MTV Live HD on 1st July 2011, but in the UK on the 23th April (along with MTV Live SD)
You got that channel two years ago and we still don't have MTV Live!
NOS has 52 HD channels, it could have more if they had channels like Nickelodeon HD, Disney Channel HD, MTV Live and others.
They recently added Mezzo Live HD.

Francisque

You got that channel two years ago and we still don't have MTV Live!
NOS has 52 HD channels, it could have more if they had channels like Nickelodeon HD, Disney Channel HD, MTV Live and others.
They recently added Mezzo Live HD.
Maybe they will launch MTV Portugal in HD though? MTV Italy some months ago launched in HD here.. I'd love Nick HD here too; when it comes to HD kids channels only Disney launched two of its channels in HD here.. I'd also like Mezzo Live HD

BTW In the early HD era, most HD documentary channels in particular where launched as separate from the SD counterpart; Nat Geo HD was the first doc channel to launch here (it became simulcast on the 1st of September, but the SD channel became a downscale only on October 2009)
I loved their initial NG HD idents: NatGeo : 2006 Idents : The Ident Gallery
The idents and the graphics were shown in HD in Italy, but in the UK, in spite of it being an HD-separate channel, all graphics were shown in upscaled SD.. it seems that the Sky UK playout system had a problem in showing promos and idents in HD, prob. also something to do with live announcements etc.. the same happened (and still sometimes happens) with History HD, NG Wild HD, Sky1 HD etc.. for example, a FX UK HD insider once said on DigitalSpy that all of their graphics were created in HD, but the Sky playout refused to show them as they should be
In Italy for some reasons when the channel had a separate schedule had very few ads (just like 1 or 2 in a whole ad break) but a 60mins-based schedule, so the breaks were filled with a lot of HD fillers, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7yV356epU .. in the UK however there were just normal ads
Sky Italy had similar problems with the HD pres, however some months ago, they've switched all their promos and idents in HD; Fox Italy has always been very good at that and it's always had all of its promos and idents in HD from day one
Disney Channel IT and Disney XD IT HD pres however it's bad compared to the UK and other European HD feeds: their pres is mostly in upscaled SD, and only with the new graphics DC has started showing bumper and idents in HD (but not the promos)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
My provider only got HD channels in 2008. Initially there was a very tiny offer (HD was, at the time, fresh in Portugal) of two channels (MOV HD and National Geographic Channel HD), then SPORT.TV 1 HD launched and the offer grew and grew as the years progressed, to the current amount of 52 channels, as stated earlier.
NOS has the most HD channels in Portugal.

Mariana

This is pure magic to the highest level
I was watching Nick Jr. yesterday and now we have our own feed! :O Nick Jr. is airing totally the promos in Portuguese instead of English. We finally split out from Nick. Jr Latin America.

Also, an online source. :)

Nick Jr. LA Nick Jr. Brazil

dcbanners

I was watching Nick Jr. yesterday and now we have our own feed! :O Nick Jr. is airing totally the promos in Portuguese instead of English. We finally split out from Nick. Jr Latin America.

Also, an online source. :)

Nick Jr. LA Nick Jr. Brazil

Congrats, I'm expecting that to happen with DC Scandinavia soon :)
Our Nick Jr. is shared with Denmark & Norway while our Nick is completely in Swedish.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Congrats, I'm expecting that to happen with DC Scandinavia soon :)
Our Nick Jr. is shared with Denmark & Norway while our Nick is completely in Swedish.
If we had Nick Jr., then it would be the European feed in English that cuts off the end credits. Very few Nick Jr. shows were dubbed.
I think that we are having a shortage of Viacom channels: we don't have Nickelodeon HD, Nick Jr., MTV Live and MTV Hits (we used to have it).
We also have a shortage in kids channels: no Boomerang (thanks to the CN HQ to PT switch), CN PT (to which I have hopes in returning), Disney XD and HD versions of kids channels.

RegularCapital

Staff member
If we had Nick Jr., then it would be the European feed in English that cuts off the end credits. Very few Nick Jr. shows were dubbed.
I think that we are having a shortage of Viacom channels: we don't have Nickelodeon HD, Nick Jr., MTV Live and MTV Hits (we used to have it).
We also have a shortage in kids channels: no Boomerang (thanks to the CN HQ to PT switch), CN PT (to which I have hopes in returning), Disney XD and HD versions of kids channels.

Could NOS do a deal with Sony for Pop, Pop Girl, Kix and Tiny Pop?, these channels are FTA and people in North Africa can receive these.

http://www.cscmediagroup.com/about-us/

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Could NOS do a deal with Sony for Pop, Pop Girl, Kix and Tiny Pop?, these channels are FTA and people in North Africa can receive these.

About Us | CSC Media
That is almost impossible in terms of market strategies. (I wanted their music channels, ZAP in Angola and Mozambique has some BOX channels)
Turner decided to make a strategy which resulted in the launch of CN PT, replacing and not complementing CN HQ, which I wanted to stay fiercely on pay TV. Have I worked for that channel, it would be better than what CN PT is now.
You may remember the CN HQgate from last June: they are testing the waters on new Turner brands (probably Boomerang, Cartoonito and TCM), or at least localized versions.
Viacom has a sort of attachment to NOS, to an extent that the only channels from them available to all providers are MTV Portugal and VH1. MTV Music 24 and VH1 Classic are also available on Cabovisão.
I don't think that the next generation is ready to watch foreign-language channels on a daily basis. The switch from CN HQ to PT is probably a result of that.

RegularCapital

Staff member
That is almost impossible in terms of market strategies. (I wanted their music channels, ZAP in Angola and Mozambique has some BOX channels)
Turner decided to make a strategy which resulted in the launch of CN PT, replacing and not complementing CN HQ, which I wanted to stay fiercely on pay TV. Have I worked for that channel, it would be better than what CN PT is now.
You may remember the CN HQgate from last June: they are testing the waters on new Turner brands (probably Boomerang, Cartoonito and TCM), or at least localized versions.
Viacom has a sort of attachment to NOS, to an extent that the only channels from them available to all providers are MTV Portugal and VH1. MTV Music 24 and VH1 Classic are also available on Cabovisão.
I don't think that the next generation is ready to watch foreign-language channels on a daily basis. The switch from CN HQ to PT is probably a result of that.

They're only be free channels to fill a temporary gap (also these channels are funded by British ad revenue anyway, there's no need to worry about the channels having a small audience), when Disney XD PT and when RTP's Kids channel eventually gets launched, they can remove them if needs be.

I wonder if NOS will drop the exclusive contract for Nickelodeon, MEO will do the same for SIC K. Having the two channels will balance out on both providers and won't have any effect to the amount of customers they have, in fact the customer actually wins.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts