General International TV Channels Thread

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Bangladesh Television closedown, this is the entire sequence.

BTV Chattogram does it the old way with an announcer reading the schedule for tomorrow before the national anthem starts. The copy used by BTV National has been unchanged for 30 years now. The slide before says something like "You have been watching BTV's terrestrial and satellite service".

RegularCapital

Travel Channel to close down in the UK on 27th August. RIP 1994-2020 (although it will still be available elsewhere). The channel was removed from Sky on 30th June, but it's still airing in the clear on Satellite on Astra 2E and can be manually tuned in.
Screenshot_20200817-223402.png

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Travel Channel to close down in the UK on 27th August. RIP 1994-2020 (although it will still be available elsewhere). The channel was removed from Sky on 30th June, but it's still airing in the clear on Satellite on Astra 2E and can be manually tuned in. View attachment 283151
I find it surprising that they decided to close the channel down. Was it profitable under its current format or did they find a monetary hole in it?

RegularCapital

I find it surprising that they decided to close the channel down. Was it profitable under its current format or did they find a monetary hole in it?

Although the channel's only competitor is Travelxp (which coincidently launched only last year in the UK), quite a lot of news and documentary channels have their own travel segments and programmes as well as the main networks (there's a lot of crossover with other factual shows too). Also, people are finding more about different destinations online with websites like TripAdvisor, Lonely Planet or YouTube, while they're online they can book their holiday at the same time. I'd say because of these reasons, the channel is now in a lot weaker position than it used to be.

The channel's replacement, in terms of FTA purposes, is DMAX, in actuality, it has no replacement.

The U.S. Travel Channel is far removed from its original purpose, it now focuses on the paranormal, if you wish to travel to the spirit realm or wish to use a UFO as a method of transportation, this channel is your best bet.

AdrenalineRush1996

The U.S. Travel Channel is far removed from its original purpose, it now focuses on the paranormal, if you wish to travel to the spirit realm or wish to use a UFO as a method of transportation, this channel is your best bet.
Correct and it's worth knowing that the North American channel wasn't connected to the European channel until 2012, when the former's then-parent company Scripps Networks Interactive bought the latter's parent company Travel Channel International Limited.

RegularCapital

Correct and it's worth knowing that the North American channel wasn't connected to the European channel until 2012, when the former's then-parent company Scripps Networks Interactive bought the latter's parent company Travel Channel International Limited.
Yes I know, Scripps (now Discovery) bought the European Travel Channel due to the similarities compared to their own version of the channel and it fitted in with their expansionist business plan at the time.

J10

Few days ago, UAE TV Channels has celebrated their country’s peace treaty with Israel.

Two days ago, Sky News Arabia has aired a live interview with Benjamin Netanyahu, after the peace treaty between UAE and Israel.

Also, on Dubai TV, Israeli PM Spokesman has appeared in a TV Show.

I guess that it’s the first time to see a TV channel from the UAE interviewing with them.

Last edited:

Moleoman

I find it quite amusing, how the phenomenon of cutting out end credits completely known from German and Dutch (and replacing them with a bumper or a banner listing only limited info) is significantly more omnipresent in Hungary than in Poland (where currently the only do that on a regular basis are already-German influenced Viacom networks). Over here, the networks at best leave them intact or at worst just extremely speed them up.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I find it quite amusing, how the phenomenon of cutting out end credits completely known from German and Dutch (and replacing them with a bumper or a banner listing only limited info) is significantly more omnipresent in Hungary than in Poland (where currently the only do that on a regular basis are already-German influenced Viacom networks). Over here, the networks at best leave them intact or at worst just extremely speed them up.
I recall seeing late 90s videos of Hungarian TV and they did something similar to German commercial television (RTL Klub, TV2, even the defunct TV3).

In Portugal the commercial channels here cut off the end credits either by leaving the first seconds intact or cutting them off completely. RTP keeps them intact but they used to speed them up.

The same happens to imported series on SIC (for some reason) however TVO has always kept them intact.

RegularCapital

I found out that Ofcom has given Arqiva (the company that owns most of the non-PSB MUXs on Freeview) permission to launch Sky Arts alongside Sky's existing three services on MUX C (aka COM5) on Freeview, it seems that Challenge, Sky News and Pick will remain on Freeview.

Also, it seems that Merit's license info is in a bit of a mess, the address is Sky's but the email address is for ITV, maybe the license has been transfered to Sky to launch Sky Arts. Ofcom | TV Cable and Satellite

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
In today's episode of "Sony in UK can't keep calm with their TV channels":
- They're hinting to a rebrand of POP. No idea if it will become Sony branded or will remain as it is (as it's the last shred of what was CSC)
- Sony Crime Channel could rise back from the dead??? Some guy on TV Forum said that the channel is back on the air, while showing colour bars.
TBH, I can't say if I expect something, as they're the same guys that when TruTV closed, they slapped on its place True Crime (woo, necromancy)... Just for close it again.

RegularCapital

In today's episode of "Sony in UK can't keep calm with their TV channels":
- They're hinting to a rebrand of POP. No idea if it will become Sony branded or will remain as it is (as it's the last shred of what was CSC)
- Sony Crime Channel could rise back from the dead??? Some guy on TV Forum said that the channel is back on the air, while showing colour bars.
TBH, I can't say if I expect something, as they're the same guys that when TruTV closed, they slapped on its place True Crime (woo, necromancy)... Just for close it again.

I think Sony should keep the POP brand, it's long-established now and I doubt the channel's current demographic could remember when the channel even aired music videos during its early days. The use of Sony in its name would make it sound too corporate, but saying that, Sony does have a kids channel in India called Sony Yay. If they wanted to change the name, they would've done it years ago. Ownership of the Sony brand is reaffirmed with the occasional usage of "A Sony Network" used on idents.

Sony (Columbia) has filed an Ofcom license for Sony Crime Channel last month, so yeah, it's coming back. TV broadcast licensing monthly updates.

The guy at TVForum was right, it is airing coloured bars, and its also FTA so you can manually tune it in if you can and have a look. :) Sony Crime - 11308 - Astra 28.2Est - DigitalBitRate

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
I think Sony should keep the POP brand, it's long-established now and I doubt the channel's current demographic could remember when the channel even aired music videos during its early days. The use of Sony in its name would make it sound too corporate, but saying that, Sony does have a kids channel in India called Sony Yay. If they wanted to change the name, they would've done it years ago. Ownership of the Sony brand is reaffirmed with the occasional usage of "A Sony Network" used on idents.
I think that you're right on this sentiment, since I think the brand is even a bit iconic.

Sony (Columbia) has filed an Ofcom license for Sony Crime Channel last month, so yeah, it's coming back. TV broadcast licensing monthly updates.

The guy at TVForum was right, it is airing coloured bars, and its also FTA so you can manually tune it in if you can and have a look. :) Sony Crime - 11308 - Astra 28.2Est - DigitalBitRate
Please be a proper comeback with updated graphics, please be a proper comeback with updated graphics.
The channel deserved better.
(BTW, being in Italy doesn't allow me to check that, as the UK beam is almost impossible to get here)

CNCN2014

I would like to see Sony attempt to bring Animax to the UK and maybe replace Pop Max, but again, replacing a children's network with a more harsher adult-oriented anime channel? I would say it's not the first time (See Locomation, previously a children's network, shifted to be more adult oriented and bought out by Sony to be replaced by Animax) but it would be a little bit of a risky move. It's odd Sony has the rights to shows like Dragon Ball for a channel like Pop.

I don't think Sony would want to replace the Pop name, it's a staple in kids broadcasting for many years, even if the big-3 (now big-2 after the closure of Disney) have taken the reigns as such.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember when I said The Dog and Pony Show should come to Qubo? Well, it's probably not happening. Since Discovery is a co producer it will probably end up on Discovery Family and Discovery Famiila.
Did anybody notice the error just tonight on Nick? At 7:57PMish after Despicable Me 2 error?
I love the smell of rain at night and the end of Daylight Savings here.
Scott Innes apparently put up his Christmas tree....in October. It looks pretty good though.