General International TV Channels Thread

Latest News & Videos

Aug 18, 2019
Bakersfield, CA United States
It's technically "illegal" for BBC One and Two to broadcast outside of the UK and maybe the Benelux, Switzerland and Monaco.
And also however, BBC ONE and TWO broadcasts via satellite through ASTRA. I actually think that the same happened with RTL Germany (originally RTL PLUS) when they started airing via satellite through ASTRA until ARD and ZDF ended its domination of terrestrial broadcasts in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
BUT THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 MAY BE COMING 1 MORE YEAR BEFORE THE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES (Beijing 2022) BEGIN. AND ALSO BBC ONE AND BBC TWO MAY LAUNCH A EUROPEAN FEED TO AVOID COPYRIGHT ISSUES WITH LICENSED CONTENT.
I don't think the BBC will ever launch European versions of BBC One and BBC Two when they already have BBC Entertainment.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Having satellite tv also costs money.

I can only watch BBC One, BBC Two and BBC News. BBC First and BBC Entertainment are pay TV here. BBC Four and Cbeebies closed down years ago in Belgium.

I don't think many Belgians still watch BBC. I don't know anyone who does. It was undoubtedly popular until the 80s, when Flanders only had public broadcasters. It was probably even popular until 1995, but then VT4 and Kanaal 2 launched, so Flanders suddenly had 8 channels in Dutch.

J10

Oct 28, 2016
Having satellite tv also costs money.

I can only watch BBC One, BBC Two and BBC News. BBC First and BBC Entertainment are pay TV here. BBC Four and Cbeebies closed down years ago in Belgium.

I don't think many Belgians still watch BBC. I don't know anyone who does. It was undoubtedly popular until the 80s, when Flanders only had public broadcasters. It was probably even popular until 1995, but then VT4 and Kanaal 2 launched, so Flanders suddenly had 8 channels in Dutch.
I was telling in general for both countries. But here they’re still putting them in the website, I wonder why they don’t remove it. I guess the website is outdated.
A135A652-B1F9-4CC1-A665-FE7AADBF6501.jpeg
766A5709-6DF2-4387-9AA2-8AEEEDF598D9.jpeg

Last edited:
BBC One and BBC Two are available in the Benelux because historically it has been a Southeast England transmission overspill area.

As the overspill issue was unavoidable, the BBC saw it as an opportunity. Belgian and Dutch cable operators paid a distribution fee to the BBC and at one time it was worth it because of English being a widely spoken language.

Switzerland has a law where it's fair game to distribute any Free To Air channel that can be received within the country's borders.

Anyone with a large enough dish (size depending where they are in Europe) pointing at Astra 2 can get BBC's channels FTA, a large dish is required as the footprint beam mostly only covers the British Isles, a minidish in only required in Britain, but if for example you wish to get BBC in Spain, expect to use a 1.5m diameter dish.

It's not lawful distribution, but the BBC can't do anything about it, because there's nothing they can really do as it's individuals with dishes and not just one cable distributor they can just easily target. Monaco is probably such a minor case and for the above reason, it's probably not worth it.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
BBC One and BBC Two are available in the Benelux because historically it has been a Southeast England transmission overspill area.
I recall in the analog days, Britain and continental Europe broadcasted on different frequencies and people had to have their sets modified to receive the others' signals. More here: PAL - Wikipedia .

Has this changed since the digital TV transition?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
Bakersfield, CA United States
I recall in the analog days, Britain and continental Europe broadcasted on different frequencies and people had to have their sets modified to receive the others' signals. More here: PAL - Wikipedia .

Idk but in the U.K. you still get PAL televisions but the digital signals are DVB-T. Similar in Colombia when you get a NTSC tv but the digital signals are also DVB-T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium

Are you talking about satellite tv?
For the last 20 years at least, you can watch BBC1 and BBC2 on Belgian cable TV the same way you can watch any other channel.

Most later analogue TV sets were manufactured for the European market as a whole, with all variations of PAL, UK and Ireland used PAL-I, most of Europe used B/G. The major exceptions were France and Russia that used SECAM. Cable TV is the preferred choice of reception in the Benelux region, so only the cable distributor would only need to have PAL-I equipment to pick up the BBC channels. From 1998, cable distributors could opt for the DVB-T or DVB-S options. Today, PAL only refers to the resolution and frame rate, DVB is the successor to PAL and incorporates its characteristics.

Last edited:

J10

Oct 28, 2016
Viasat Channels has changed their logos. Unlike Viasport and Viasat Film, Viasat Factual Channels like Viasat Nature, Viasat History, and Viasat Explore will not be changed, and will stay the same.
1591133203789.jpeg

They also added Videoguard for Canal Digital Channels. Allente will use capacity for Thor Satellites via 0.8 W. In the next months, they’ll demand Viasat Customers to switch their dishes to another new orbital satellite.
Sportovní a filmové kanály Viasatu s novými názvy