"Gamesniped Presents A Guide to Blockbuster Raiding" Talkback

Latest News & Videos

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
Around here (Michigan), we have Family Video, a chain that seems to do extremely well. I've almost never seen them close a location. My town got one in the late 1990s and, unlike most businesses in town, I can't recall a single time where I was the only customer in the store. Heck, I can't even say that of our Subway.

And yet the next town over, which has always been more successful with businesses, can't seem to keep a video store open to save their lives. Their first was an old A&W that was converted to a video store in the 80s. It closed around 1995 and became a Hungry Howie's Pizza. The rest of the former A&W/video store building was expanded to create three more suites. One of those suites was a very tiny Hallmark for about five years, then a video store that closed abruptly a couple years ago. When that video store held its going-out-of-business sale, I found copies of Valiant and Megamind in great condition. Said store has since reopened under the nonsensical name "Jpad Video".

Coincidentally, Hungry Howie's also opened in a former video store in my town around 2002. We actually had three video stores at one point. The one that was closest to me shared its building with a small convenience store. I remember that it sold lots of candy, and that it had a freezer full of ice cream bars that said something like "Open me, I won't bite." It closed in the early-mid 1990s and is now a parking lot. The second, Your Video Store, spent a short time as a J. C. Penney catalog store (so short that they didn't even bother taking down the video store's signs) before becoming the Hungry Howie's. The third was out on the road leading to the old air force base. It was a tin barn that closed in the 90s (as did the air base) and has become a succession of pet stores. In addition to that, Glen's supermarket (now Family Fare) rented videos for its first couple years of business. I remember renting a tape of Family Dog there several times when I was about 6, which was probably the most uncharacteristic thing I'd ever done in my life to that point.

Every now and then, I check the kids' section of Family Video for something weird just to kill some time. Growing Up Creepie, at the least, was better than I thought it'd be. I also rented Surf's Up on a whim and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
Well Cynthia Rothrock seems to have aged well.

All the Blockbusters in my neck of the woods have already been close for two years if not more; I managed to grab a copy of Persepolis.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Reading this makes me very sad that all the Blockbusters in Newfoundland closed up before I could truly enjoy them the way I enjoy the mall and the bookstore.
I actually managed to watch bits and pieces of "Cyrus" (I have John C. Reilly in my head as I write one of the characters on my TV show) and it's actually a cute little comedy-drama. A bit crude here and there but it's quite sweet.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Wow, this was an old bump. I remember when I wrote for Gamesniped. They said they'd pay me, and they never did. That's why I don't anymore.

I didn't know the site was still alive. Barely though -- only one person's updating it and he hasn't done anything in seven months.

This might be a good place to announce you will see the return of Things You Can't Ever Have in 2019! Look forward to that.....

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
might want to add the page to the Web Archive just in case, if it hasn't been done already!

pacman000

Around here (Michigan), we have Family Video, a chain that seems to do extremely well. I've almost never seen them close a location. My town got one in the late 1990s and, unlike most businesses in town, I can't recall a single time where I was the only customer in the store. Heck, I can't even say that of our Subway.
Family Video owns their buildings, & they work to get other businesses to rent from them. A familf can go out for a pizza, then pick a movie to watch at home. Think of them not as a video store, but as a real estate developer who's great at getting complimentary businesses together.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Apparently John K. is FINALLY finished with 'Cans Without Labels'.
I was never a big fan of Hannah Montana, but it had the best brother-sister relationship I have ever seen on TV.
I'll Be making February 2019 Nick Premieres on Tuesday or Thursday.
lots of things might be scheduled ones that include Crashletes, Double Dare (Special & S1 Finale), LSBS (S2 Finale), More Henry Danger and Cousins For Life... Knight Squad (S2 Premiere), The Loud House, SpongeBob, RainbowButterflyUnicornKitty, Sunny Day, Peppa Pig & Lots More...
SPECULATION So, I've decided the only CN originals we could see added to Boomerang this year are Dexter's Laboratory and Codename: Kids Next Door, already among the most requested shows on the platform. Everything else is on CN On Demand through the end of the year or on Hulu, and we may not see those until 2020 at the earliest. This does not include some of the lesser-known CN stuff.
RTP and SIC did reports on Popeye's 90th. Only SIC mentioned the new web series wothout even mentioning its criticism. Both didn't even mention Wimpy. Maybe he merged with Homsar because of a wrench.