Games You Still Own From When You First Purchased Them?

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I was thinking about this the other day. A common thing if you're younger or not a game collector is to "trade up" to a new console- that is, sell all your old games and consoles to have enough money to afford the new one. I did it back when I got the SNES- I had to sell the original NES and games first. And the same when I bought the Playstation- I sold all my SNES games and console to afford it.

But when I upgraded to PS2, since it was backwards compatible, I didn't really want to sell anything. So I kept the original PS1 games, and that's when I remembered: I still have my original copy of Crash Bandicoot from 1997. That's the oldest game I have in my collection, in terms of when I first purchased it. That's TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO (God I feel old), and it still works. (see below)

Now later, I would buy back the games I used to own for NES and SNES, but I'm proud to say I still have many of the games from PS1 that I bought way back in the late '90s. Pretty cool when you think about it.

You?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I still own all of the games for my NES, SNES, and Game Boy / Color. The old consoles are still plugged into my TV too. I still have my Super Game Boy and Game Genie too. I lost the manual for the NES Game Genie, but I found all the codes for the games I own online anyways. I can't play Duck Hunt anymore though because the machines are hooked up to an HDTV. My Game Boy Color still works too.

So I still own

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Yoshi
Tetris
Tetris 2
Pinball
Kirby's Adventure
R.C. Pro-Am
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckeroo$!
Rampage
Stealth A-T-F

Nintendo Game Boy / Super Game Boy / Game Boy Color

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Warioland: Super Mario Land 3
Warioland II
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land III
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Sesame Street: The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland
Sesame Street: Elmo's ABCs
Sesame Street: Elmo's 123s
Jim Henson's Muppets

Super Ninentdo Entertainment System

Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby's Avalanche

Add to that my NES and SNES Classics and I have a great selection of classic Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Do you remember which of those was your first purchase?

Pooky

Staff member
There have been very few games I've sold or gotten rid of over the years, so there are quite a few Mega Drive/Genesis, SNES, N64 and (original) X-Box games I bought when they were new or close to new that I still have. The vast majority of games I have ever bought I have bought second hand or when they were in the sale (remember those?) including everything or pretty much everything I ever bought for Wii (and Gamecube), Game Boy (and Advance) (3)DS, PS1-PS3. I'm guessing the games that were newest and most expensive when I got them would be a handful of N64 Games (Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Starfox 64, Silicon Valley Space Station) and Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

The longest standing game in my collection is the first Sonic the Hedgehog which I got for my 7th birthday, with the console, in December 1993, though in the house I have an inherited Intellevision from the early 80s, along with Donkey Kong, Frogger, Burger Time, Popeye, two Tron games and some others (mostly pretty generic stuff with titles like "Baseball" and "Ice Hockey"). That was actually the first console I ever played; unfortunately last time I tried to play it (a fair while ago) it didn't work. I also think somewhere I still have the boxes and floppy discs for a few DOS games (Monkey Island 2, TMNT The Coin-Op Arcade Game, Bart Vs the Space Mutants) that were bought before Sonic but which I have no easy way of playing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Do you remember which of those was your first purchase?
I do. My dad got us a few games for the first Christmas me and my sister got the NES. Besides Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt the first games we got were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pinball, RC Pro-Am, and Stealth ATF. I like Super Mario, Turtles, and Pinball but I think RC Pro-Am and Stealth were duds. Me and my sister picked out the games after that.

The first games I bought myself were Super Mario World and the SNES and Game Boy games.

Ghoster1987

howdy
I'm honestly surprised I still have Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door with me. Nowadays mom and pop video game stores overprice the thing for almost 200 bucks!

Pooky

Staff member
I'm honestly surprised I still have Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door with me. Nowadays mom and pop video game stores overprice the thing for almost 200 bucks!

I bought this for £15 (about $19) in 2011 shortly after I bought a Wii; not super cheap perhaps, but it is compared to what it's gone for since!

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I sold my original Nintendo (and games) in the late 90's. I sold my Super Nintendo (and games) in the early 2000's. Other consoles that I owned (like the Nintendo 64 and PS2) I basically co-owned, and they went with the other party when we split up. And yeah, I sold my PS4 to make way for my current PS5 (though I've kept my PS4 games), and I sold my Wii U to make way for my Nintendo Switch.

My original Xbox (which I owned since 2004) died around 2011, but I kept all my games (and I bought a used "original Xbox" around 4 years ago, so I still break out these games and play them on occasion). I only have a handful of those games for Xbox that I still own: All of the "Splinter Cell" games, "Burnout 3", "Jade Empire"....that's about it. But that's the oldest video game material I still own.

....well, unless you count my copies of early issues of "Nintendo Power" magazine! I still own every issue from January 1989 to January 1995 (I let the subscription run out as high school was drawing to a close).

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
You know what? I realized I may have to amend my initial post, because I forgot that our family never sold the Sega Genesis, so I kept many of the games I originally had for it.

I can't remember exactly which game is THE oldest, but some Genesis games I still have from the mid 90s when I got them, predating Crash Bandicoot:
-Battletoads
-Lion King, The
-NBA Jam
-Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure

Pooky

Staff member
I still have Buster's Hidden Treasure from the 90s too. I bought Buster Busts Loose for the SNES a couple of years ago, and I hate to admit it but I think I may prefer it. Both are really good though.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I still have Buster's Hidden Treasure from the 90s too. I bought Buster Busts Loose for the SNES a couple of years ago, and I hate to admit it but I think I may prefer it. Both are really good though.
Buster Busts Loose had the better presentation while Buster's Hidden Treasure had the better and more challenging gameplay.

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
No classics, my "classic" games (PS3/DS) I have after the systems have been discontinued (don’t even have my PS3 anymore)
would say switch but **** me that's new

Markus Nelis

GTA V and Left 4 Dead 2 in 2015. Yeah, I only purchased them in 2015 because I was still young as I'm the 00s kid. I got GTA V for 40 dollars and Left 4 Dead 2 for 25 dollars.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
The first video game console my siblings and I got was the Nintendo 64. It came with Super Mario 64 (as a gift; I was really looking forward to getting that title). Later games we got for it while it was still new were Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64 and Star Wars Racer. We still have them all.

I've read that N64 games were expensive, which seems to be why we only got a few back then.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts