G4's Action Blast

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
Wow a show I've got on DVD and something I've never heard of, but have no intrest in. G4 strikes out again.

Toonmaster said:
Well...

Beast Wars... I'll have to record that sometime.
They have season packs which I've found under $25 from time to time. It might be more convient for yourself.

Wanted

Toonmaster
Nin-Nin69 said:
They have season packs which I've found under $25 from time to time. It might be more convient for yourself.
True. Though, with this new year and my (not-so) new money crunch, I can't spare a dime.

Beat

Retired
B-Daman and some dumb costume show. And to think, for a second I was holding out hope that they were going to air Gransazer.

NinjaJack

Beatdigga said:
B-Daman and some dumb costume show. And to think, for a second I was holding out hope that they were going to air Gransazer.

I`m still holding out hope, remember there was once a fox kids without Power Rangers...wasn`t it?

Supernovametalstar

Why in the name of all that is just is Battle B-Damon still on the air anywhere?! It's worse than Duel Masters and it's not even have an amusment factor like DM used to have. I saw a japanese commerical for the new B-Damon toys and it looks like a promising concept, but the show they have for it is just awful. G4 couldn't find anything else? There must be tons of old anime just lying around some studios vault that no one has seen in the states that they could abuse.

At least Beast Wars is back and from the sounds of it a respectable showing, too.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
After this crude choice for programing, I'm giving G4 atleast a year and a half to become desperate enough to air programs about Texas Holdem tournaments.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
You know something? After watching Action Blast for nearly a week, I've realized something about this morning block.

It's an infomercial glossed up as a scheduled programming block.

Think about it. It's an hour long, no commercials during the actual episodes (just between the two shows), clips of Transformers Cybertron for no apparent reason, and the noticable lack of a G4 logo during the show, just the Action Blast logo in the lower left-hand side. Oh, and the Hasbro copyright at the end kind of cinches it. It's not half bad, and by that, I mean the Beast Wars half of the show is the best part of the block. The rest of Action Blast is best left in the gutter. Battle B-Daman is an idiotic joke of a series.

Perhaps if G4 could actually, I don't know, create a real block. Or better yet, fix up the mess of the network they already have before they try to take on a new demographic.

Zyzzybalubah

The Best of Friends
mojokingbee1 said:
I PRAY they'll still have "Call For Help" (The only Techtv program on G4 along with X-Play)

Sorry, that and as far as I know, the other Tech programming on the channel have been removed. Action Blast I believe takes all of Call for Helps timeslots. It's ashame, I was watching that and the tech programming for awhile, but eventualy CFH was moved to an even earlier timeslot and I always had class or had to get ready at that time. :(

Supernovametalstar

That makes sense, but why does Hasbro not realize how much money they could make off re-airing the first series? If they're going to put the old BW back on with the cruder CGI (compared to Cybertron), why not see if people that were alive back in 1984 would watch some of their childhood memories again. Are they afraid that kids nowadays won't like anything that old? Bah, I'm just ranting now.

Anyhoo, I watched Beast Wars this morning. I forgot how much I loved that show's first season. The dialogue was great and really told more alot about the characters different personalities. To me the animation still holds up movement-wise (thanks to good choreography that didn't resort to still frames or stock footage), and it sounded like the VA's really liked doing the show. I would guess they had to since so many of them come back for the other shows like Armada/Energon/Cybertron.

sdp

miscrave
i only catched half of the first action blast episode this past wednesday and today saturday, apparently on saturday they air just ones show, they aired 5 'episodes' (from the begining) of Beast Wars, and the Kaiju match from the first episode, they aired the opening of Battle BDmon and the opening of Cybertron so i'm guessing they also have that series. So on saturdays it is either a 'marathon of one of the two shows they air or just only Beast Wars. It does look a infomertial disguised, but at least on saturdays a good one ;D Kaijou is alright, i enjoy it as they air it, small segments through out the show.

as for Beast Wars was it always just 10 minute episodes? i found that very strange, i remember it being a regular show..and wow the CGI looks so outdated and the stories are not as good as i remember, glad i held off buying the box sets (not that i'm not enjoying the show, just not as much as i thought), I also liked the Spanish dub a lot more than i do the english one.

anime_guru

show me your as-sets
I know this is a silly question to ask, but what time does it air? I've been looking for the schedule but I haven't found it so if someone could post the time, I would be much appreciated

Zero Kagayaki

the end of this planet
EscaflownePilot said:
That'd be pretty darn sweet (in fact, it'd be the only thing that'd get me to watch G4 again), but remember, there are plenty of more recent video game anime that could be shown as well. Power Stone, Arc the Lad, Sakura Wars, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter II V, and many more. The fact that ADV and G4 have a decent relationship helps as well, as ADV owns a lot of those.

I agee they might well get Sakura Wars

sterfish

Jeff Harris said:
You know something? After watching Action Blast for nearly a week, I've realized something about this morning block.

I guess this explains why I couldn't find it on my Comcast Digital Cable Program Guide. The guide says nothing but "Paid Programming" comes on before that Attack Of The Show rerun.

Assembler

Soul Slayer
What g4 has just created is a giant ball on gunk. The people that will be watching these shows will be in school more than half of the shuedulke days it says on there website. Cn and jetix could sue them for showing b-damon and cybertron(clips or whatever). Well b-damon I don't understand that one.:sad:

Gary L Thompson

JohnCrichton said:
It'd be cool if they knew what shows to grab, how to package them and when to air them.

From their past record they'll cobble together a bunch of stuff, give it a package that it seems like business men in suits think is "hip", then continually change when it's aired.

I think G4TV has great potential if they'd sit down, have a meeting and better solidify what they're trying to do and how to bring it all together instead of seemingly like a high budget cable access channel.

Get video game cartoons.

Captain N, Battletech, Reboot, Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Sonic SatAM, Q-Bert, Pac-Man... maybe sneak some Starship Troopers in there.

Pick a theme and do your best with it.

EscaflownePilot said:
That'd be pretty darn sweet (in fact, it'd be the only thing that'd get me to watch G4 again), but remember, there are plenty of more recent video game anime that could be shown as well. Power Stone, Arc the Lad, Sakura Wars, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter II V, and many more. The fact that ADV and G4 have a decent relationship helps as well, as ADV owns a lot of those.

I've never understood why Comcast would decide to keep "Anime Unleashed" (not to mention starting to make its own original toons), keep the G4 emphasis out there in the channel that came out of the merger--and not do shows tying videogames and videogame-based animation together. I mean, it's something CN, Toon Disney, Nicktoons inherently couldn't do without screwing up their respective brands, so that was a ready-made competitive advantage practically begging to be exploited by G4. G4 already had one of the hottest of these properties out there in "Gungrave", would it have been that difficult to round up a passel of shows like "Power Stone", "Sakura Wars", "Final Fantasy Unlimited", "Sonic", "Pac-Man", etc., given these shows weren't exactly "Full-Metal Alchemist" or "Naruto" for difficulty in acquiring?

I'm with you all the way, Crichton, that G4 needs to make up its mind what it wants to be in order to be successful. Without establishing a brand identity with your audience, you're not going to be successful over the long term.

Jeff Harris said:

Think about it. It's an hour long, no commercials during the actual episodes (just between the two shows), clips of Transformers Cybertron for no apparent reason, and the noticable lack of a G4 logo during the show, just the Action Blast logo in the lower left-hand side. Oh, and the Hasbro copyright at the end kind of cinches it. It's not half bad, and by that, I mean the Beast Wars half of the show is the best part of the block. The rest of Action Blast is best left in the gutter. Battle B-Daman is an idiotic joke of a series.

Perhaps if G4 could actually, I don't know, create a real block. Or better yet, fix up the mess of the network they already have before they try to take on a new demographic.

I might want to tape the last episode of "Battle B-Damon" (ABC Family cancelled the show right before the final episode--again!), but I agree that for the kind of characters and setting they set up, the story was pretty disappointing. If they want ABC Family anime castoffs, why don't they try a truly good show, like "Monster Rancher"? Or even "Medabots" or "Tokyo Pig"?

Well, as someone previously pointed out, they are essentially reviving Sci-Fi Channel's old BKN Kids block, which really isn't that bad of an idea, since they wouldn't be facing much competition at that hour. The trouble is, even if the block became a hit, I don't see it helping the network much. To really use the block to promote the rest of its schedule, G4 would first need a clue to what the network is actually about! Seems to me that it would make more sense for Comcast to admit they blundered and bring back all the Tech TV people to run the channel, or bring in new management that could make the "games" concept work, or become Animax's network in America--in other words, have your network be about something original, not a weak copycat of a new channel that was aiming at a lesser demographic to begin with (there's more simply more room for a "Lifetime", "Oxygen", and "Women's Entertainment" channels to be supported because women do more TV watching and shop more). I mean, I think Viacom executives deserve a public flogging for crushing a well-established niche like the Nashville Network, instead of picking up a cable outlet with audience but no clear identity anymore (like USA network, for example), but at least they tried to brand themselves to pick up a specific audience that there was not much competition for.

Nin-Nin69

[CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
Gary L Thompson said:
G4 already had one of the hottest of these properties out there in "Gungrave", would it have been that difficult to round up a passel of shows like "Power Stone", "Sakura Wars", "Final Fantasy Unlimited", "Sonic", "Pac-Man", etc., given these shows weren't exactly "Full-Metal Alchemist" or "Naruto" for difficulty in acquiring?........

........If they want ABC Family anime castoffs, why don't they try a truly good show, like "Monster Rancher"? Or even "Medabots" or "Tokyo Pig"?

Part of the reason is this forum.

Sure I don't care much about G4, but I visit this baby every now and then to catch something intresting before the mods do. Stupid rants or spam are usually locked, but once in a great while there were some darn good reads from real fans of G4 which are erased completly. One of them I've seen was some guy who spent the time and man hours to find out all of the background legal info for any video game related cartoons which fit on G4. Not only did he include some names of companies, but even provided them with info about their licences, possible price ranges, and numbers and/or adresses to contact the heads of each company with the particular license. When I hit the refresh bar shortly after it was posted, it vanished from the board and gave me an error message.

Now why was something great like this erased? Most of the time at places like TZ we almost never get that neck deep into information. Yet you see all of these small rants or ok suggestions which are locked and directed to an e-mail address I've never got a responce for. Well since the actual people who host the shows and write the material don't read them, I bet their interns do. And the interns are told what to keep and what to throw out. After all it couldn't be that my well though out take on Adam Sesslar handling the Sex in Video Games special must've been out of the league of an UCLA grad of English literature. Meh I'm going to a Game Design college and doing the real thing. Poser. :p

Too bad it's hard to find the personal info for a majority of those on G4TV outside of real icons like TT. If I had Adam Sessler's address, I'd write him a letter every week until X-Play goes off the air to comment him on his preformance. I'd catch him making up stuff in the act, lie about certain issues, or refer to previous games where some element that has been done to death, but this game is his first discovery he cries about how bad it is. Digimon 4 was a great example to that last one since all of the issues he cried about were in every single 2D Legend of Zelda game created. He'd have to respond after a while because I've almost got him by his balls everytime I've sent something out to their pathetic email address.

Gary L Thompson

Nin-Nin69 said:
Part of the reason is this forum.

Sure I don't care much about G4, but I visit this baby every now and then to catch something intresting before the mods do. Stupid rants or spam are usually locked, but once in a great while there were some darn good reads from real fans of G4 which are erased completly. One of them I've seen was some guy who spent the time and man hours to find out all of the background legal info for any video game related cartoons which fit on G4. Not only did he include some names of companies, but even provided them with info about their licences, possible price ranges, and numbers and/or adresses to contact the heads of each company with the particular license. When I hit the refresh bar shortly after it was posted, it vanished from the board and gave me an error message.

Now why was something great like this erased? Most of the time at places like TZ we almost never get that neck deep into information. Yet you see all of these small rants or ok suggestions which are locked and directed to an e-mail address I've never got a responce for. Well since the actual people who host the shows and write the material don't read them, I bet their interns do. And the interns are told what to keep and what to throw out. After all it couldn't be that my well though out take on Adam Sesslar handling the Sex in Video Games special must've been out of the league of an UCLA grad of English literature. Meh I'm going to a Game Design college and doing the real thing. Poser. :p

Too bad it's hard to find the personal info for a majority of those on G4TV outside of real icons like TT. If I had Adam Sessler's address, I'd write him a letter every week until X-Play goes off the air to comment him on his preformance. I'd catch him making up stuff in the act, lie about certain issues, or refer to previous games where some element that has been done to death, but this game is his first discovery he cries about how bad it is. Digimon 4 was a great example to that last one since all of the issues he cried about were in every single 2D Legend of Zelda game created. He'd have to respond after a while because I've almost got him by his balls everytime I've sent something out to their pathetic email address.

Maybe you should have suggested to that guy that he send all the product of his hard toil to this forum, where things don't tend to get zapped without reason. The Tech TV forum was pretty good, and it really skidded downhill after G4 co-opted it. By the way, I also suggested the idea of a new block game-based anime/live shows on said games, and they closed my thread because it wasn't in the post where all suggestions for new shows on AU was supposed to go. When I tried to get through to them that it didn't make sense to post a suggestion for a new block outside of AU on a thread devoted strictly to AU, they just got hostile.

By the way, for the record, when I suggested that other ABC Family alumni would be better bets than "Battle B-Damon", it was actually CN I had in mind. Though I suppose it wouldn't be bad advice for G4's "Action Blast" as well!

Gary L Thompson

Mr.Hell said:
Man, this is the perfect excuse to air Dual again, it would fit perfectly with the Kaiju and Beast Wars stuff

Well, AIC stuff tends to be pretty tame if it is made for TV, so "Action Blast!" could probably get away with it as long as it omits the 14th episode (which was pretty bad anyway).

Jex

No.
Maybe if they actually had good shows on there..Unfortunatly. G4, IMHO is pretty pathetic. LOL, The transformer show won't be getting any new episodes and whatever the **** that other show is called is pretty bad.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts