G4 network teases a comeback in 2021

harry580

wasnt xumo supposed to be the computer television with channels, i want to see if they revived networks like cloo and chiller for xumo as well as adding existing networks like bravo, usa, e and syfy

AdrenalineRush1996

Wasn't Xumo supposed to be the computer television with channels, I want to see if they revived networks like Cloo and Chiller for Xumo as well as adding existing networks like Bravo, USA, E! and Syfy.
I think Pluto TV has done similar with the Spike channels.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Xavier Woods is officially part of the revived G4.

Good grief, why do we want a professional wrestler to have a role on a video game channel? "G4" is supposed to have juvenile geek/fratboy type hosts, the type that populate Youtube. Not wrestlers.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
Good grief, why do we want a professional wrestler to have a role on a video game channel? "G4" is supposed to have juvenile geek/fratboy type hosts, the type that populate Youtube. Not wrestlers.
I read this as sarcasm. Wrestlers have all the theatrics and stuntmen experience to get all these skits figured out in as few takes as possible whilst the juvenile geeks & fratboys revel the bizarre storylines. NuG4 should also get some obscure comedians because most Youtubers aren't quite the types that populate Adult Swim.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I read this as sarcasm. Wrestlers have all the theatrics and stuntmen experience to get all these skits figured out in as few takes as possible whilst the juvenile geeks & fratboys revel the bizarre storylines. NuG4 should also get some obscure comedians because most Youtubers aren't quite the types that populate Adult Swim.

Obscure comedians, I can accept that. "Adult Swim" is a good comparison, I used to flip channels back and forth between Adult Swim and G4, they have a similar vibe, so that makes sense. A wrestler doesn't. But I could be wrong.

I view Youtube as the media that replaced G4 (Youtube picked up where G4 left off), so a lot of what has worked on Youtube the last 5 to 10 years would translate to a new G4 channel.

EDIT: You say "wrestlers", and I have this image of Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage stepping on to the set of G4. Part of what made G4 work was that it was nobodies doing skits and talking video games, these weren't celebrities, they were video game lovers.

With G4, we found our own little niche, our own little subgroup where we belong, you bring wrestlers in, you're going to "mainstream" the channel. Next they'll be interviewing Hollywood actors or sports stars, and asking what they're favorite video games are, and all that garbage. I didn't come here to find out what Ryan Reynold's favorite video game is, I came here to watch Adam Sessler mock Aquaman video games.

Last edited:

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Because he hosts a popular YouTube video game channel (called UpUpDownDown). "We" may not want it, but G4 does. And for G4, it makes all the sense in the world. Especially with the people it wants to attract to watch - whether geeks & fratboys or otherwise.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
Obscure comedians, I can accept that. "Adult Swim" is a good comparison, I used to flip channels back and forth between Adult Swim and G4, they have a similar vibe, so that makes sense. A wrestler doesn't. But I could be wrong.

I view Youtube as the media that replaced G4 (Youtube picked up where G4 left off), so a lot of what has worked on Youtube the last 5 to 10 years would translate to a new G4 channel.
Youtube also drove out the most absurd creators or excised their "G4/AS"-esque craft 5-10 years ago because of algorithmic self-preservation. If those same guys are still thriving on Youtube, they've already transitioned to just being another person at a desk talking to a camera. Major sketch comedy hubs definitely lost their luster.
A group of people act out the most trendy kid's game in lavish costumes and maybe sets - that's the labor intensive coveted content within this gaming entertainment landscape G4 is coming back to.

You say "wrestlers", and I have this image of Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage stepping on to the set of G4. Part of what made G4 work was that it was nobodies doing skits and talking video games, these weren't celebrities, they were video game lovers.

With G4, we found our own little niche, our own little subgroup where we belong, you bring wrestlers in, you're going to "mainstream" the channel. Next they'll be interviewing Hollywood actors or sports stars, and asking what their favorite video games are, and all that garbage. I didn't come here to find out what Ryan Reynold's favorite video game is, I came here to watch Adam Sessler mock Aquaman video games.
I'm looking at wrestler as an actual asset to have when we see & hear nobodies running up their various insurance bills. VENN already did what you're foreboding, but they also don't delve into much of the zany material
and that's by design.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Because he hosts a popular YouTube video game channel (called UpUpDownDown). "We" may not want it, but G4 does. And for G4, it makes all the sense in the world. Especially with the people it wants to attract to watch - whether geeks & fratboys or otherwise.

Okay, if he's a Youtuber, maybe he's a good fit after all. Not a channel I'm familiar with, but I'm more into Angry Joe and Markiplier (just to toss out some "well known" ones, but there's many many others with lesser known status that I personally enjoy). Anyway, it certainly doesn't sound like he'd be coming on stage in spandex ready to body slam the co-host.

Also, maybe "frat boy" and "geeks" aren't the right terms. G4 in the mid-2000's (and Adult Swim, for that matter) was like MTV in the 80's: a counter-culture or sub-culture hangout with comedy skit and heavy doses of whatever the channel was into (video games for G4, adult animation for Adult Swim, or music for MTV). I don't know, it's hard to describe.

"'We' may not want it, but G4 does" - well, G4 better be concerned about what it's audience wants. They kept wanting to turn the channel into Spike TV, to expand their demographics. They started broadcasting COPS reruns and Ninja Warrior, and stopped having shows devoted to video games, until "X-Play" and "Attack of the Show" was all that was left. That's partly where my concern came from, but if this wrestler is also a Youtube/video game enthusiast, maybe it's not the big "red flag" I feared.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the full reunion video.

Okay, last night I watched the whole thing on Youtube. I take it back, Xavier Woods was great, seems like he could be a great addition to the cast. Still, my concern about G4 wandering away from it's primary focus is still out there - this is the channel that the corporate executives drove into the ground with COPS reruns. STICK TO VIDEO GAMES, G4!! Well, and geek movies (Star Wars, superhero movies, zombie/horror movies....).

EDIT: I was impressed with how seamlessly they jumped in and out of skit - you could tell there were times they were honestly sharing their real memories and their thoughts on their time together, but then they'd jump back into the story of the "reunion dinner" with Ron Funches. And when Olivia Munn and Kevin Pereira started doing an "improv" 'Attack of the Show' host segment, that kinda gave me chills. The chemistry that all of these people still have together is just uncanny.

I'm also glad that other G4 hosts had quick appearances in a pre-recorded "skype" type message.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I enjoyed the reunion special. It was nice to see the old gang back together for a little. I love games but I'm weird in that gaming history, and production and news interest me more than being anything more than a casual gamer. Finding G4 about 16 years back was a good deal for me and I stuck around from then until the last year when they only really had AOTS and X-Play anymore, and pretty much dwindled all of the stuff I watched for outside of the two mainstays and events like E3. They really killed it with all the general viewing stuff.

Youtube has pretty much filled the void for me but I think I'd be down to check out anything new.

I used to check out UpUpDownDown, and I'm an occasional wrestling fan, so Austin Creed has seemed like a decent choice to me since I heard he was campaigning to be a part of it. It's a lot easier to find these personalities out there today as well, and maybe bypass getting models or actors or whoever else.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
G4 is still releasing the occasional new Adam Sessler segment on G4's Youtube page. The latest one is a team-up video featuring "The Completionist" (a sign of further collaborations to come with other Youtube personalities?).

It really seems like G4 is actually fusing with Youtube, whereas 8 to 10 years ago, the cable network seemed at odds with the rise of Youtube video game personalities.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

eeeh. I guess i'll skip this season for anime as far as new ones go.
Vuxovich wrote on 5YearsOnEastCoast's profile.
Just compare Xiaolin Chronicles' voice acting to the voice acting of this show. I can't believe someone in the 2010s was inspired by a 1990s obscurity. Apparently not a good sign. How about that?
If there was ever a character like this, I think she'd be a fan favorite.

The mystery of catnip solved!

That article fascinated me and I don't even own a cat!

Featured Posts