Futurama and the Simpsons Were Awesome!

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Did anyone else see them?

It's great to see Futurama airing at a semi-regular time now that football is winding down. In case anyone doesn't know, this episode was supposed to be the season finale from last year.

As for The Simpsons, I was amused to see that they picked up the plot thread from a previous episode and ran with it. Bonus: Bob Dole reading from the Necronomicon!

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Originally posted by Karkull
Did anyone else see them?

It's great to see Futurama airing at a semi-regular time now that football is winding down. In case anyone doesn't know, this episode was supposed to be the season finale from last year.

As for The Simpsons, I was amused to see that they picked up the plot thread from a previous episode and ran with it. Bonus: Bob Dole reading from the Necronomicon!

Still keep missing "Futurama," though my sister tells me tonights was really good. :(

Did catch "The Simpsons," for the first time in about a year. Oy, I thought it was awful. Three different plots that had nothing to do with each other. It was like they stitched together rejected episode ideas because they couldn't come up with anything good. Someone please cancel the series.

Jowy Blight

Chillin' Out
I couldn't see futurama (stupid sports) but I did see the Simpsons, and I honestly think this is the end. These new episodes have kind of a weird feeling to them, and they seem to be trying to hard to get a laugh. They really don't seem like they can stick to just one story without branching out and making some of the things that are happened early in the episode, useless. I don't think this series is going to last much longer like this.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Last night's Futurama was hilarious. It was entitled, IIRC, "Tales of Interest 2".

1st story: Bender experiences life as a human.

2nd story: Fry...well let me put it like this: whoever wrote this sure loves old-time video games. (This was the best of the three.)

3rd story: Leela wants to find her home. This story involves a side-splitting parody of an oft-parodied film; you'd have to be a Wizard, perhaps from Oz, to figure out which one.

I did like how The Simpsons reprised a plot thread from an earlier episode (showing that they haven't entirely given up on the show's continuity), but it was nothing special. It was a good ep, just not a great one.

Supernovametalstar

Ya know, Fox could solve the time slot problems with Futurama just by moving it on another night. Put it with Family Guy and the Tick and you'll have a winner. But no, they just love pre-empting it for accursed football too much :mad:

I know that football brings in mucho money for Fox, but why bother to continue producing a show when they won't air it? At the very least they could have reruns during the summer when football isn't on, but they stick some other garbage on.

And it's sad to say, but the Simpsons is winding down. They've made a comeback this current season as opposed the previous two, but you can tell it's time to end the show.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
I remember reading that The Simpsons are renewed until Season Fifteen. As for Futurama, they probably still make it to placate Matt Groening (so he'll stay on The Simpsons).

Failure

Entertainment Mod
Originally posted by Jowy Blight
I couldn't see futurama (stupid sports) but I did see the Simpsons, and I honestly think this is the end. These new episodes have kind of a weird feeling to them, and they seem to be trying to hard to get a laugh. They really don't seem like they can stick to just one story without branching out and making some of the things that are happened early in the episode, useless. I don't think this series is going to last much longer like this.

I'm getting a wierd vibe too. I liked how they revisited an old storyline, but all of these new episodes feel like they're trying to emulate the successful parts of the old eps, but they're falling flat in trying to do so.

DR. BELCH

In a squashed gob of dung on the Missouri Bootheel
"Anothology of Interest 2" & "Brawl in the Family"

The first act, with Bender as human, was the most interesting--and a little jarring, as we see how his debauchery as a robot would be lethal to a man. "Hey, my antenna's gone? Oh, wait, it just moved. I don't get as good a reception on it as I used to, though." Then he asks one of the girls to adjust it for him.I actually felt a little sad after Bender, bloated up to Jabba the Hutt proportions, died. "Cholesterol...40." "That's not so bad. "I mean forty pounds!" The second two acts weren't quite as good--Fry's video game world and Leela's Wizard of Oz-type fantasy--although I'll admit the appearance by Mario and all the Atari flashbacks were nice, and it was interesting to see a third appearance from the alien warlord and his queen.

The Simpsons--and this is from a fan!--was terrible, the worst of Season 13. It felt like they just had three unfinished scripts lying about and just decided to put them together into one and slap on a cute spoofy title. Plus anything that opens with an unfunny, slurring attack on Republicans feels desperate, ill-thought-out, and hateful to begin with. I'm sure I'd be branded as hateful and insane if I did something like this with Democrats scheming to control the world with the TV ratings system or some such thing.
The acid rain joke was done a lot better in "And Maggie Makes Three", though Willie's line "It burns like a Glasgow bikini wax!" got a chuckle out of me. Plus the "Homer goes too far, gets thrown out, and lives in the backyard" has been done before and also to better effect in the ep with Homer teaching at the adult center.
Gabriel may well be the replacement for the late Dr. Marvin Monroe, and seems to have succeeded where the good doctor failed. When they scheme against the stripper, they do it as a family.
Milhouse with stigmata? Must be a joke left over from Scully.... :shudder:
How did marrying off Grandpa to the stripper immediately annul her marriage to Homer? I mean, wouldn't that be double bigamy (she's married to both men, while Homer has Marge and Abe's marriage to his wife may still be legally binding, as I'm not sure they were ever technically divorced)?

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Futurama was cool. I loved the second part. Invaders possibly from space ships actully looked flat in a good way. And they got the ridget stratagy of the AI of Space Invaders perfectly "Speed up, drop down and reverse direction" I loved the "all your bases are belong to us" bit when they landed.

Anyway the Simpsons was well uhhh kinda weak. For one thing the promo pluged the acid rain bit but that is continuity error, at the start Springfield had deadly acid rain which was the reason why they the Simpsons play Monopoly but when the police showed up and from that point on there was no rain what happened to it? From there is feels like a differnt ep. When they are going home after resuing the social worker it feels like the end but then there the girls from Los Vegas out of nowhere which fells like yet another ep.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Futurama was great! The second styory was bar none th ebest. The gags were hilarious and they just kept on coming. The Atari riffs were great, as was the 'Spaced Invaders'. Quite possibly the best Futurama episode ever.

Simpsons wasn't that swell - three stories strung along togethor prety badly.

King of the Hill was another classic, with Connie and Bobby breaking up. The reaction of the teacher to Connie's note is surprisingly realistic - how some teachers would react today to that kind of note...

DerekPowers

Ruler of Gotham City, 2049
im sorry, but this was the first new simpson's ep i saw all season, and it sucked soooo bad. i remember talk of the possibility of salvaging this series w/ a new producer, but after watching this pile of crap, it has no hope.

i mean, what the hell???? i was just like, is this supose to be funny?? why cant these people think of good stories?? its not that hard, or even if it is, its not that hard to think of something better than that.

man, it was sad, even sadder than the x-files ep. they have to put that show out of it's missery and soon.

Futurama yes, Simpsons hell no.

Futurama was very slow for me at first, but maybe it's performing a reverse Simpsons and is starting out bad but is slowly getting better and more clever. The Simpsons nowadays is about as clever as a dead fox.

spectre316

i think i'm gonna throw up
I seriously love the Simpsons... but that episode was horrible. It seemed like they just grabbed ideas out of the air and expected it to all mend together.

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
Futurama was darned funny... maybe not as classic as the first Anthology of Interest, but a hoot nonetheless. The Wizard of Oz bit got to me... when Zoidberg showed up and phoned his part in, I just about lost it.

The Simpsons... it was bad, but I didn't think it was as bad as it had been two seasons ago. They actually attempted to use Maggie, Homer wasn't a jerk, and they tried to be touching. Still, there was vast room for improvement.

DanniB

Behold the power of five
I found the "video game world" part of futurama my favorite part for three reasons

1: I loved those old nintendo and atari refs
2: The wizard of Oz has been parodized too many times to my liking
3: i missed the beginning of the episode with the human Bender

as for the Simpsons, I've stopped watching to save myself the dissipointment of this season.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts