Free Spirit "Cartoon Brew" Talkback

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
789 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Free Spirit #17 - Cartoon Brew (Page 1)

I've got a lot of scripts lying around in various stages of completion, waiting for inspiration. Lately, the cartoons are coming out not in the order in which I intended them in, but the order in which they are completed. I had the art for an Electric Wonderland comic 80% done when the final piece of the puzzle for THIS story hit me. The EW story in question does not have the second half of its plot fully formed yet. This does. It was ready, so it was prioritized.

17 episodes and we still haven't seen the Harper kids in school yet (this is a summer story, so I have an excuse). But I spent months figuring out what their classmates would be like, and to date I've never been able to show the fruits of that labor. Kinda aggravating. The stories that have school scenes just aren't ready yet!

There is also a new BANG issue that's very close to done, so....you'll be getting a lot after a drought of months.

This story will probably be released in three parts instead of two. A lot gets tackled here. Eleven pages and we haven't even seen any of Robb's cartoons yet.

Nov 14, 2017
Ratings
I can't even imagine what sort of cartoons Robb would create. I think I know where that plotline's going, but I'm more interested in the revival of Extreme Lips.
I will admit to being a fan of the original show (if they're based on what I think they are). On a semi-related note, Mummies Alive! deserves a complete series release as well.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
789 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Free Spirit #17 - Cartoon Brew (Page 12)

This whole story started with a brainstorming session about the worst cartoon show ideas I could come up with. The inspiration for "Screemerz" is obvious. "Capitol Quippers" actually doesn't have anything to do with "Capitol Critters" -- when the pun-heavy Sherlock Gnomes came out, I thought "what are some of the worst concepts you can express with puns?"

Robb has a line here about how news sites about Western animation aren't profitable anymore. At the time this was written I had no idea if the story would appear BEFORE or AFTER the name change. The trick was to allude to it without breaking NDA or having anyone realize what the joke was actually about. It turned out the switchover happened while the art was halfway done.

Jessie needs her own stories badly! All she does in this is glare at Robb and make sarcastic comments. There is more to her than this, I swear!

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...
I just had a bizzaro dream that Frank Welker was in my computer lab on campus! o_0