Frederator working on new project involving a famous video game

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Fred Seibert recently mentioned during his interview on the Nickelodeon Animation Podcast that his studio, Frederator, is currently moving forward on a project involving “one of the most world-famous video games”. Fred mentions the news around the 31:52 mark:

“We have a project now that we’re doing that needs to go unnamed, based on one of the most world-famous video games of the last 30 years, that we’ve had in our shop for twelve years without being able to get it started. But there were great characters and a great story, and eventually we got it going," Fred says in the interview.

There are a few articles saying that Nickelodeon are involved, but I think Fred was only referring to his own studio.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Since it's 2016 and they had it in their shop for 12 years, it has to be something from 2004 or older. Likely older. Probably from the 90s. Maybe even from the late 80s. So that gives us a window of 1986-2004. Now we need to find something with great characters and a great story. Something that would make a good animated series. And something most importantly people know.

Here are some games that came to mind: Zelda, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Thief, Tomb Raider, Dungeon Keeper, Earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot, Kirby, Spyro, Gex, Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Star Ocean, Mario, Mortal Kombat, Another World, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Rayman, Dragon's Lair, Phantasy Star, Mega Man, Sonic, Command and Conquer, Homeworld, Half Life, Doom, GTA, Parappa The Rapper, Ape Escape.

If you narrow it down to comedy and something more family friendly you're left with franchises as: Zelda, Sonic, Mario, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Earthworm Jim, Gex, Kirby, Banjo Kazooie, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Parappa The Rapper, Ape Escape.

Any guess?

I'd be surprised if it was something else.

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
It'd be hilarious if it was something super unexpected and inappropriate, like Slender or Zero Escape.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Now we need to find something with great characters and a great story. Something that would make a good animated series. And something most importantly people know.

Here are some games that came to mind: Zelda, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Thief, Tomb Raider, Dungeon Keeper, Earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot, Kirby, Spyro, Gex, Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Star Ocean, Mario, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Another World, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Rayman, Dragon's Lair, Phantasy Star, Mega Man, Sonic, Command and Conquer, Homeworld, Half Life, Doom, GTA, Parappa The Rapper, Ape Escape.
Like around half of these I'd wager aren't that world renown. Really extensive list though.
Imagining any one of those T/M-rated properties adapted by Frederator would be too paradoxical to pass up.

That sounds about right. Even though they may have been developing this for 12 years, it seems they acquired the rights a few years ago.

Assuming it isn't Castlevania...
If you narrow it down to comedy and something more family friendly you're left with franchises as: Zelda, Sonic, Mario, Spyro, Kirby, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Rayman
Tier I
Mario (has the recognition, characters, and the potential for an episodic/serialized story)
Zelda (they would be incredibly tempted to turn this into an AT/BW type series)
Donkey Kong (just more limited than the previous 2, could just bring DK and his crew to the Mario show)
Rayman (oh sure give the Minion-like critters a series before the flagship's mascot)
Tier II
Sonic (already has a show on air)
Pac-Man (had to really make up a cast of characters and a story for its most recent installment)
Spyro (already has a show on air)
Kirby (same as Pac-Man in reference to the Fox Box show, but has similar advantages as Zelda)

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Then we all get let down when it's revealed as "Netflix's Angry Birds: The Series."

It debuts in the fall of 2017 and nobody gives it a chance. Everybody hates it.

Two weeks later some weird guy shows up on TZ with a misspelled username and makes multiple topics in one day asking "why dont people like Angry birds theh series?"

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Castlevania. Right. I forgot that one. Interesting and could be. Seems there's some info to back it up. There's also one similar series I left out that could work - Legacy of Kain. The last game came out around 2003/04, which would be exactly those 12 years ago he talked about. Maybe?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Wasn't Frederator a big supporter of the 3DS video app?

After Ape Escape, I'm not sure I want them touching anything I enjoy.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
i can't see it being castlevania because frederator primarily does kids cartoons like FOP & AT

so iam thinking either mario, zelda, kirby, sonic, yoshi, wario,etc

maybe even a cartoon based on the chibi-robo franchise

however...

if they are branching out with more mature cartoons then it COULD be castlevania!

it's hard to say!

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
According to a Netflix press release: “Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017.”

http://screencrush.com/castlevania-tv-series-netflix/
Not sure if that's what Fred was talking about. I'll quote LegoFan224's post from earlier in the thread:
I found an article saying that they were planning a Castlevania mini series. But I think this is something different, because I don't see why he would say the project had to be left unnamed if it was revealed last year. Unless he didn't know about that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts