FOX wants to keep "The Simpsons" after merger

Latest News

LinusFan303

Welcome, Great Pumpkin
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
907 5
Colorado
Would be weird for the show to premiere anywhere else but Fox (in the US) . I don't think Disney would refuse Fox's money from buying more episodes and continuing the show on Fox. That would be not be smart business if they did. Fox is right alot of network's top shows past and present aren't made by a sister production company of that network so it can still work out. If FOX is that worried they should have kept that show in their we own this pile with the news channels and sports channels etc.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,660 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
So despite the fact they’ll just be making money off ads aired during the Simpsons (with ratings supposedly continuing to drop), and will soon make little or nothing off of licensed goods, Fox still wants to air the show after the buyout? Weird. But I guess they’re suckers for tradition.

...So does this mean we won't get Springfield in Kingdom Hearts?
Fox may lose the rights to the property, but they’re willing to fight to keep the broadcasting rights at least.

Also, for the record, we’re not even getting Marvel and Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,244 36 1
Austin, Texas
For Fox keeping The Simpsons is a right step, It's unlikely that Disney would cancel The Simpsons but the bigger worry is how executives would likely make changes to the show that would affect Fox.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
103 2
USA
Visit site
For Fox keeping The Simpsons is a right step, It's unlikely that Disney would cancel The Simpsons but the bigger worry is how executives would likely make changes to the show that would affect Fox.
Regardless of what Disney may do to it, it's probably better that it's staying on FOX rather than migrating to ABC. I've heard ABC has always had a stricter BS&P. According to one of the writers, ABC wouldn't allow The Critic in its first season to get away with some of the risque content FOX let The Simpsons get away with at the time.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2016
Ratings
448 1
Regardless of what Disney may do to it, it's probably better that it's staying on FOX rather than migrating to ABC. I've heard ABC has always had a stricter BS&P. According to one of the writers, ABC wouldn't allow The Critic in its first season to get away with some of the risque content FOX let The Simpsons get away with at the time.
True, ABC has always been the strictest broadcast network when in comes to content. Fox has always been risque, and CBS and NBC have opened up to more risque content

Plus ABC hasn't treated a lot of their show creators well, as a lot of them are leaving the network, mostly for Netflix.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,660 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I realize Disney could and perhaps should let the show continue on Fox. The money Fox will have to pay for broadcasting rights will cover the cost of production that Disney won’t have to pay for.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
103 2
USA
Visit site
Content-wise, I don't think much would change about new Simpsons episodes made under Disney. The series has a certain sophistication and whit that would probably keep it within its limits in regards to adult humor. Atleast compared to Family Guy, which relies a lot more on shock humor.

Last edited:

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Mar 2, 2018
Ratings
Wait, I thought the merger meant that Fox was now a Disney network? I.E. Still the same as it was, just The Mouse owns it now, kind of like the Marvel movies.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,660 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I'm thinking that even though FOX will still keep The Simpsons, the show will have to be distributed by someone else, perhaps Universal or Sony.
Since Disney will own the show, it’ll make sense that Disney will distribute it.

Wait, I thought the merger meant that Fox was now a Disney network? I.E. Still the same as it was, just The Mouse owns it now, kind of like the Marvel movies.
They’re not allowed to own another broadcast network since they already own ABC. They do get the FX Networks though.

sasq

Oct 5, 2015
Ratings
288 7
Italy
They do get the FX Networks though.
Why can't New Fox keep FX Networks and the international Fox channels? it makes no sense to have the Fox network owned by an independent company and the international channels by Disney, plus they already have Freeform for the Seth MacFarlane shows in case [AS] loses the rights.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
605 10
Earth Two
Why can't New Fox keep FX Networks and the international Fox channels? it makes no sense to have the Fox network owned by an independent company and the international channels by Disney, plus they already have Freeform for the Seth MacFarlane shows in case [AS] loses the rights.
Freeform, believe it or not, is the millenial version of Disney Channel plus The 700 Club. To add Seth MacFarlane shows to the fold simply because Disney is going to own it will not work at all.

This is very reminiscent to the situation that entailed Disney into acquiring Fox Family Worldwide and in turn having the rights to Fox Kids and Saban properties while Fox ran the block until 4Kids took over. Only this time The Simpsons and possibly other Fox toons will still air on FOX after the acquisition is complete.