Fox Kids moving from 2PM to 4PM back in 2001. Why exactly?

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
I think it depended on the region. However, I do agree that there are some areas that moved Fox Kids to earlier times due to the stations not wanting to air it.
WTTG is a station that REALLY wanted to change the slot

Review Metabee

I'm curious why Woody Woodpecker Show season 2 aired in October 2001 to December 2001
And not 2000

Moe

I think it has with rating so broadcast networks usually don't want to air the block if they have low rating.

Also schedule conflict too.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
After FOX purchased some former ABC,CBS, NBC stations, those stations didn't want to carry the weekday block because it would have changed the audience they had for decades and 3-5pm would mean 5pm news or talk shows would have the hardest lead-in. Imagine going from a kids' show to the news, or if the station had breaking news , the block have to be cut off on the station.

Anyway, this here indicates that the block ran 3-5pm, in general--meaning some stations could have aired it earlier--- until it was closed in December of 2001, then Fox was considering new ideas (that never happened) that they were going to give the stations 2-4pm to program on their own until they thought up something (which never happened)

Quicksilver said the net would spend the next few months figuring out how to program the weekday afternoon slot. Affils are only three years into a 10-year deal with Fox that gives the network the right to program the 3-5 p.m. time period. As a sign of good faith, the net agreed to push that slot back by an hour in January.

Review Metabee

I believe that's why the block would get interrupted for news
I also heard Season 2 of the Woody Woodpecker aired on the weekday block

Moe

I believe that's why the block would get interrupted for news
I also heard Season 2 of the Woody Woodpecker aired on the weekday block
I think they did during Sept 11, 2001 so all programming get interrupted and news air all day.

It was HUGE day for sure.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
After FOX purchased some former ABC,CBS, NBC stations, those stations didn't want to carry the weekday block because it would have changed the audience they had for decades and 3-5pm would mean 5pm news or talk shows would have the hardest lead-in. Imagine going from a kids' show to the news, or if the station had breaking news , the block have to be cut off on the station.
However, moving FOX KIDS to a different station during the New World/FOX deal caused several issues for FOX KIDS WW as many ex-FOX affiliates that were ready to affiliate with ABC, CBS or NBC all had offerings during Saturday Mornings and FOX had to arrange deals with independent stations to carry FOX KIDS. One MAJOR problem was in Atlanta where FOX KIDS stayed on channel 36 until 2000 where it moved to channel 34. But when Unívision purchased USA Broadcasting (including channel 34) in 2002, FOX KIDS would later move to Viacom-owned channel 69 that same year (the station would air its successor FOXBOX (and later 4KIDS!TV)) but they dropped it in 2006 due to management reasons.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
However, moving FOX KIDS to a different station during the New World/FOX deal caused several issues for FOX KIDS WW as many ex-FOX affiliates that were ready to affiliate with ABC, CBS or NBC all had offerings during Saturday Mornings and FOX had to arrange deals with independent stations to carry FOX KIDS. One MAJOR problem was in Atlanta where FOX KIDS stayed on channel 36 until 2000 where it moved to channel 34. But when Unívision purchased USA Broadcasting (including channel 34) in 2002, FOX KIDS would later move to Viacom-owned channel 69 that same year (the station would air its successor FOXBOX (and later 4KIDS!TV) but they dropped it in 2006 due to management reasons.
I think Saturdays stayed on the New World and etc stations because they would be used to that NBC/CBS/ABC ex affiliates. Weekdays would was a no deal for them because If I was WAGA-TV airing "Guiding Light" at 3 then some random talk show at 4 and maybe 5pm (either that or news) but now my station was switching to FOX, my audience was adult (adult women) for decades in those slots, switching to kids shows would have affect on that and the bottom line, and worried about already losing viewers because of a switch where Guiding Light viewers might go to 46 and not want to come back for the Channel 5 news, I have to do something to keep that. Though some stations that flipped did keep the week day block like WVUE.

It did hurt the block with small cuts, then imagine the WB and UPN launching and launching their weekday blocks (this also started the death of Disney afternoon) they didn't have broadcast exclusively, plus the new ad rules were coming in 97, then cable including their own sister channel, was also there, by 2000, it was just a burden to have the weekday block, or the block in general.

weewoo the cow

One MAJOR problem was in Atlanta where FOX KIDS stayed on channel 36 until 2000 where it moved to channel 34. But when Unívision purchased USA Broadcasting (including channel 34) in 2002, FOX KIDS would later move to Viacom-owned channel 69 that same year (the station would air its successor FOXBOX (and later 4KIDS!TV) but they dropped it in 2006 due to management reasons.
Management reasons?

From what I know, WUPA, which was carrying 4KidsTV on Sunday mornings at the time UPN shut down, simply replaced the block with Kids’ WB! in the fall of 2006 when The CW began broadcasting (all CW Saturday morning blocks have aired on the station on Sunday mornings since then)

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
It did hurt the block with small cuts, then imagine the WB and UPN launching and launching their weekday blocks (this also started the death of The Disney Afternoon) they didn't have broadcast exclusively, plus the new ad rules were coming in 97, then cable including their own sister channel, was also there, by 2000, it was just a burden to have the weekday block, or the block in general.
During that period during 1998 when The WB came to minor markets (thanks to cable) viewers in minor markets were able to get Kids' WB since WB didn’t have a station in markets such as Bakersfield. (and UPN was affiliated with channel 45) FOX KIDS also had arrangements with independent stations in Kansas City, (channel 62 (later on channel 32 (FOXBOX/4KIDS aired on channel 38)) St. Louis, (channel 24 (later moved to channel 2 for the rest of its existence)) Tampa (channel 38 (later moved to channel 32 for the rest of its existence)) among others.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
I wonder what WTTG were doing with the block in 2002
Since FOX acquired BHC Communications (which owned many UPN stations) in 2001, FOX KIDS was moments from extinction after the library rights were sold to Disney. After FOX got channels 20 in Washington and Houston from Paramount/Viacom. (and Paramount got channel 44 in San Francisco from FOX)
I think that FOXBOX remained on channel 5 in Washington and channel 26 in Houston after both channels 20 in those markets had cartoon offerings before and during they became UPN stations. This was also the time for Disney's One Too to die out since the block became unbranded when UPN rebranded....

Review Metabee

Since FOX acquired BHC Communications (which owned many UPN stations) in 2001, FOX KIDS was moments from extinction after the library rights were sold to Disney. After FOX got channels 20 in Washington and Houston from Paramount/Viacom. (and Paramount got channel 44 in San Francisco from FOX)
I think that FOXBOX remained on channel 5 in Washington and channel 26 in Houston after both channels 20 in those markets had cartoon offerings before and during they became UPN stations. This was also the time for Disney's One Too to die out since the block became unbranded when UPN rebranded....
So Fox Kids got moved to UPN

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
So Fox Kids got moved to UPN
No, several UPN affiliates (including channel 50 in Detroit (because the station was owned by Paramount/Viacom at that time and was also formerly a FOX affiliate) FOX KIDS would later move to channel 36 after One Too was announced)) carried FOX KIDS because the New World stations affecting those areas decided not to carry FOX KIDS in favor of a weekend newscast and also syndicated shows. After the FOX KIDS library was purchased by Disney, they moved many of their shows to ABC Family and ABC Kids. ((both the FCP library and the Saban* library) Power Rangers did not fill E/I requirements on ABC Kids and was dropped by many affiliate groups later on)

Review Metabee

Talking bout WTTG

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts