Fox Kids/Jetix & Saban Library - Missing on Disney+

Moe

But yeah, House of Mouse should be on Disney+, not sure if it's a legal clearing thing considering the amount of characters on the show.
There is no known legal issues associated with House of Mouse since all of characters that they use is Disney properties.

Real reason - Disney is too lazy to add many missing cartoon shows.

GRPHX

They did not conduct a geographical zoning study to determine which old cartoons would be watched more in which region. I don't think most old cartoons even remember they exist. They also removed what was added. It's like Pepper Ann's disappearance from Europe and Fillmore's disappearance from England. I don't expect anything from Disney anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Moe

They did not conduct a geographical zoning study to determine which old cartoons would be watched more in which region. I don't think most old cartoons even remember they exist. They also removed what was added. It's like Pepper Ann's disappearance from Europe and Fillmore's disappearance from England. I don't expect anything from Disney anymore.
I'm feared that Disney is going to purge old contents from US version of Disney+.

GRPHX

We had limited knowledge of which of the titles produced by Jean Chalopin's company, C&D, are currently the property of BVS Entertainment.

Because the remaining C&D assets were listed here laterly bought back by AB Productions (currently Mediawan Thematics) at an undetermined date.

Such as:
  • Sophie & Virginie / Sophie et Virginie
  • The Twins of Destiny / Les Jumeaux du bout du monde
  • The Adventures of T-Rex / Les Aventures de T-Rex
  • The Bots Master / Le Maître des bots [15]
  • Happy Ness: Secret of the Loch / Le Secret du loch Ness
So finally I found out Disney didn't have them.

I was guessing that only the following titles remained from the series listed here
  • Amilcar's Window / La Lucarne d'Amilcar
  • Diplodo
  • Michel Vaillant (Heroes On Hot Wheels)
  • Cupido
  • Botts / La Vie Des Bote
  • Magic Troll and the Troll Warriors
For now I discovered one. Michel Vaillant, an adaptation of the French comic book series Michel Vaillant. It also had its U.S. original run on "The Family Channel" and aired on Jetix and even DisneyXD France.

micheal-valiant upscaled.jpg

The American version was also in a sponsorship deal with Mattel and was released as "Michael Vaillant -Heroes on Hot Wheels".

It's also a bit interesting that ownership of the series has passed to Disney. In fact, the rights never belonged to C&D. The comic book company transferred the writing and directing rights to a French company called Jingle, but with the company's bankruptcy, C&D became the owner. Later, the parties filed a lawsuit over some rights, and the court appointed SIP as the authority to resolve the dispute. Since C&D was sold to SIP in 1998 and SIP was sold to Disney in 2001, the ownership rights remained with BVS Entertainment, that is, Disney. Moreover, this incident took place around 2003 or 2004.

However, the right to benefit from the property will expire in 2031, meaning it will need to be renewed again. This is a normal procedure though. I guess it's not the only property that Disney had to renew some rights to use. Anyway, unless the copyright is transferred to another company, Disney will remain the owner of this 65-episode series produced, whether the rights are renewed or not.

If you're curious, you can learn more at https://rca.cnc.fr/rca.frontoffice/. Since I don't know French, I understood this much.

Attachments

• 1709033173733.png
    1709033173733.png
    326 bytes · Views: 16

GRPHX

As I continued my research, I found something like this. Oh man! This is absolutely crazy. A Disney Channel original movie produced by Libra Pictures? And before Disney bought Saban. I really can't believe this. Am I sure I'm not drunk?

I think it's the one with the Disney watermark on it. (Not even Power Rangers.) This must be the only Saban-made thing.

The copyright is not registered in Disney's name in that day, but at the end of the time it still belongs to Disney after 2001.

I wonder why they commissioned such a movie from Libra, the adult arm of Saban, which usually produces B-grade erotic-thriller films.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Moe

As I continued my research, I found something like this. Oh man! This is absolutely crazy. A Disney Channel original movie produced by Libra Pictures? And before Disney bought Saban. I really can't believe this. Am I sure I'm not drunk?

I think it's the one with the Disney watermark on it. (Not even Power Rangers.) This must be the only Saban-made thing.

The copyright is not registered in Disney's name in that day, but at the end of the time it still belongs to Disney after 2001.

I wonder if they commissioned such a movie from Libra, the adult arm of Saban, which usually produces B-grade erotic-thriller films.
Interesting, at time when Susie Q aired, Disney Channel in the US was premium like HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. It means you have to pay extra (usually $7-$12 per month) for Disney Channel and rental descrambler box.

I'm wonder about what time when Susie Q aired on Disney Channel.

GRPHX

Interesting, at time when Susie Q aired, Disney Channel in the US was premium like HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. It means you have to pay extra (usually $7-$12 per month) for Disney Channel and rental descrambler box.

I'm wonder about what time when Susie Q aired on Disney Channel.
I can say that it is more like a Fox Family/Family Channel original movie than a Disney Channel one, in terms of its general structure and themes. Death, drunkism, sexual tone, profanity etc. It was truly surprising that Disney released such a movie even at that time.The interesting thing is that even though it is a DCOM, it was commissioned and was first broadcast in Germany, and even though it is a DCOM, the copyright was left to Saban. Despite this, there is the Disney logo. It's really weird.

I would really love to see this series on a Disney-owned streaming service. It has its own tone, just like Sweet Valley High.

The idea of a DCOM with a script written by Shuki Levy still seems strange.

• Informative

Moe

I can say that it is more like a Fox Family/Family Channel original movie than a Disney Channel one, in terms of its general structure and themes. Death, drunkism, sexual tone, profanity etc. It was truly surprising that Disney released such a movie even at that time.The interesting thing is that even though it is a DCOM, it was commissioned and was first broadcast in Germany, and even though it is a DCOM, the copyright was left to Saban. Despite this, there is the Disney logo. It's really weird.

I would really love to see this series on a Disney-owned streaming service. It has its own tone, just like Sweet Valley High.

The idea of a DCOM with a script written by Shuki Levy still seems strange.
Yeah, Disney can be very twist sometime and back in 1980s, they aired non-Disney sitcom shows like Good Morning, Miss Bliss and The New Leave It to Beaver, and those shows have no Disney value.

This link with full list of DCOM may interest you - List of Disney Channel original films - Wikipedia

Original movies released on Disney Channel from 1983 to 1997 were classified as Disney Channel Premiere Films but most people still call those movies as DCOM.

It is real shame to see Disney not preserve all of films released between 1983 to 1997 and some have no Disney value.

GRPHX

Yeah, Disney can be very twist sometime and back in 1980s, they aired non-Disney sitcom shows like Good Morning, Miss Bliss and The New Leave It to Beaver, and those shows have no Disney value.

This link with full list of DCOM may interest you - List of Disney Channel original films - Wikipedia

Original movies released on Disney Channel from 1983 to 1997 were classified as Disney Channel Premiere Films but most people still call those movies as DCOM.

It is real shame to see Disney not preserve all of films released between 1983 to 1997 and some have no Disney value.
It is normal for it to be in a different classification, after all, it was a commissioned show. But it was surprising to see that it was more requested than other BVS/SIP titles within the Disney fan base.How did this happen despite such little exposure? Even the footage on YouTube is terrible.

Since Disney is the sole copyright holder, I guess we can classify it as a Disney Channel movie. It's also strange that it wasn't shown on Fox Family and its other networks, and later on ABC Family or Lifetime.

You're right about legacy management, Disney has no eyes on anything other than certain brands. I was very saddened to hear that major media companies handled their production materials very poorly.

JulianRO

On the brand new X-Men '97, Shuki Levy and Haim Saban are included in the end credits.
IMG_20240321_211656_713.jpg

Maybe Disney will finally start doing something with the Saban/Fox Kids/BVS library, I guess...?

GRPHX

On the brand new X-Men '97, Shuki Levy and Haim Saban are included in the end credits.
View attachment 307722
Maybe Disney will finally start doing something with the Saban/Fox Kids/BVS library, I guess...?
Disney does whatever it wants. There is no pattern or consistency in their behavior. I too would like to see Disney take a better approach to its BVS Entertainment properties (Ex-Fox Kids, Saban, and SIP), but I'm not holding my breath for that anymore. While even simpler obligations such as HD Remaster and dubbing have not been taken care of.

• Agree

Moe

Disney does whatever it wants. There is no pattern or consistency in their behavior. I too would like to see Disney take a better approach to its BVS Entertainment properties (Ex-Fox Kids, Saban, and SIP), but I'm not holding my breath for that anymore. While even simpler obligations such as HD Remaster and dubbing have not been taken care of.
Same here, if Disney cared about Jetix properties, most of their shows would be on oversea version of Disney+ at launch but they didn't.

I do not blame you, @JulianRO and others for hate Disney XD and you have my sympathies.

GRPHX

Same here, if Disney cared about Jetix properties, most of their shows would be on oversea version of Disney+ at launch but they didn't.

I do not blame you, @JulianRO and others for hate Disney XD and you have my sympathies.
Right now, the only thing I expect from Disney on this issue is Spider-Man '98. If they can attract the 90s and 2000s Fox Kids/Jetix audience with these two series, then a certain dose of BVS properties may come. But I'm not holding my breath for that either. But I wish distinct works like Diabolik, The Tick, W.I.T.C.H. were at least visible to Disney.

I commend Disney for at least showing commitment to the original theme and original art style. X-Men '97 is the best drawing animated series I've seen in the western world since Diabolik. This was due to storyboard chief both of Diabolik and X-Men '92 is Will Meugniot, and his legacy has been preserved in the new revival. Seriously, I didn't even expect this much respect from Disney. Especially considering the Hanna-Barbera-style final season of X-Men.

Last edited:

Igorov

T

That Jason show,the one with the bunny, currently airs on Paravision in Paraguay and it does great in the ratings.
Interesting. Along with Jason, Disney is also marketing ATOM and the '90s Marvel shows to Paravision. It's like a broadcast from the 2000s, not 2024. It's impossible to find these shows even on Disney+

IMG_9586.jpeg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts