448 1
Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,244 36 1
Austin, Texas
Fox sure is going in the cinema route with most of its current long lasting animated programs seeing a movie. For The Simpsons I always had a feeling another movie would happen, just like how Spongebob saw a sequel, another show that could ever come on par with The Simpson's in popularity.

Jul 24, 2016
Ratings
448 1
Fox sure is going in the cinema route with most of its current long lasting animated programs seeing a movie. For The Simpsons I always had a feeling another movie would happen, just like how Spongebob saw a sequel, another show that could ever come on par with The Simpson's in popularity.
Let's just hope that these projects go through and get in production soon, in case Disney cancels the plans. After all they agreed to let all the Fox films in production by the time the merger completes to continue. But I'm pretty sure Disney will want a Simpsons 2 regardless.

Aug 11, 2018
Ratings
30 1
San Francisco
Let's just hope that these projects go through and get in production soon, in case Disney cancels the plans. After all they agreed to let all the Fox films in production by the time the merger completes to continue. But I'm pretty sure Disney will want a Simpsons 2 regardless.
If TV franchises marching into film markets are proved to be successful, we could be getting more risk-taking in that direction. In an indirect way, Marvel TV characters in Marvel movies. Plus, if Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and maybe American Dad are successful in films and Fox decides not to renew them, Disney could move them to ABC on Sundays.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
951 1
East Northport
I do have to wonder how this is going to work. Since this makes sense to announce as a project due to how popular and well received and profitable the original Simpsons movie was, despite being released at a time when interest in the show wasn't too high. The show interest isn't that high either right now, but still know the brand and would still go to watch the film if it looked interesting... however the issue was always getting it made. Talk for the original film was first buzzed about in 1992 (when some thought "Kamp Krusty" had the potential as a film) and was put on the back burner for a decade until finally getting some traction in like 2003 and actually being worked on as the same time as the show. Which is why it took YEARS to make and was a process that though the team enjoyed working on said did kill them to do at the same time as the show and would never do again, only citing a sequel coming out when they were done working on the series. And last I check the Simpsons is still planned to go on for at least a couple more years with no signs of cancellation on the horizon so... don't know exactly when we're supposed to get this movie. It could be possible that FOX is trying to hire some other people to help with the project but I either don't see this going anywhere for awhile or for the team behind this film not to be really the team currently behind the show. Which honestly isn't the worst thing in the world as we already had that Simpsons movie so having a unique fresh perspective on the show could work but again guess we'll see.

Jul 24, 2016
Ratings
448 1
If TV franchises marching into film markets are proved to be successful, we could be getting more risk-taking in that direction. In an indirect way, Marvel TV characters in Marvel movies. Plus, if Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and maybe American Dad are successful in films and Fox decides not to renew them, Disney could move them to ABC on Sundays.
If any of those shows will move to ABC, it's Bob's Burgers, it's the most family friendly, but it still might remain on FOX. The Simpsons will stay on Fox, as their desperately trying to work a deal out with Disney.

Is this Disney's doing?
No this is Fox. Disney said that whatever movies Fox has in production by the end of the merger, they won't cancel them. So Fox is trying to get whatever they can make while they still can.

I do have to wonder how this is going to work. Since this makes sense to announce as a project due to how popular and well received and profitable the original Simpsons movie was, despite being released at a time when interest in the show wasn't too high. The show interest isn't that high either right now, but still know the brand and would still go to watch the film if it looked interesting... however the issue was always getting it made. Talk for the original film was first buzzed about in 1992 (when some thought "Kamp Krusty" had the potential as a film) and was put on the back burner for a decade until finally getting some traction in like 2003 and actually being worked on as the same time as the show. Which is why it took YEARS to make and was a process that though the team enjoyed working on said did kill them to do at the same time as the show and would never do again, only citing a sequel coming out when they were done working on the series. And last I check the Simpsons is still planned to go on for at least a couple more years with no signs of cancellation on the horizon so... don't know exactly when we're supposed to get this movie. It could be possible that FOX is trying to hire some other people to help with the project but I either don't see this going anywhere for awhile or for the team behind this film not to be really the team currently behind the show. Which honestly isn't the worst thing in the world as we already had that Simpsons movie so having a unique fresh perspective on the show could work but again guess we'll see.
Well with the original film it went from development to production between 2001 and 2007, so my guess is 2024, which will also coincide with the 35th anniversary of the series.

Aug 11, 2018
Ratings
30 1
San Francisco
I'm fine with this. The movie was the last good thing to come out of The Simpsons after the show jumped the shark. If they can get Matt Groening and the old writers back, we could have one last hurrah before Disney takes over Fox.
It is good that Fox's film studio is trying to save the animation studio because in a potential restructure, all divisions that don't necessarily know if they're going to stay will do the best work they can to show they're worth keeping. Even the case that Simpsons Comics will end in the fall, I wouldn't be surprised if most of FOX franchise get to be licensed to Marvel to be made as comics. Would be great to see Simpsons Comics have at least 6 big omnibus collections and many Epic Collections reprints by Marvel. Plus, if Disney wants to make sure Universal doesn't get ahead of them in the parks, they could build Family Guy, American Dad, and Bob's Burgers attractions in Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and international parks (which could have Simpsons attractions). I feel Disney would not close this studio, there is revenue from FOX channel's desire to keep the shows going (except TBS's American Dad, maybe giving back Star Wars TV airing rights to keep American Dad syndication and future seasons), and they could invest more resources to make sure the studio becomes more unique and superior in adult animation, and it also would be a good content supplier to FX networks and Hulu.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
2,898 41
Hmm, interesting. I distinctly remember Groening saying that he wasn't planning on doing another, not to mention it was joked about on his shows every so often. ("Matt will take questions - but please, only about Futurama, not the Simpsons." "When you will make a second Simpsons movie?").

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,660 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
For starters, Fox didn’t officially announce the movie was in development. That’s just insider info.

Second of all, this definitely seems like a project that Disney won’t cancel. Disney knows how iconic the Simpsons are, and since the franchise always had a PG-13 levels of content, they’ll push this movie and possibly market it the same way they do the Marvel and Star Wars films.
Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if they want a Simpsons movie to be made every other year. If the ratings are sagging Disney will do what they can to revitalize the franchise. They’re very reluctant to cancel a big IP. They kept Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD from being cancelled despite ABC wanting to do so.

Seriously, I wouldn’t put it past Disney for them to make a movie whether the writers want to or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk