Foster's Home vs Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi vs Camp Lazlo

Which Cartoon Network show is your favorite?

• Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Camp Lazlo

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
First, welcome to ToonZone! Nice to see another member from Massachusetts. Second, out of these 3, my favorite is Foster's. I liked all the different characters (in spite of Bloo being a jerk) as well as the stories and humor.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
Wait, did someone already did something similar to this, except it had Fosters rather than Camp Lazlo? Just asking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

Foster's. Hands down, no contest. AmiYumi was great as mindless entertainment, but I have no immediate interest in watching it again. Camp Lazlo was okay, but the only reason why I watched it as much as I did because my brother was into it.

jaylop97

Staff member
I would go for Camp Lazlo, I mean Fosters was okay but I just thought that the show wasn't something hard for me to watch considering it was 11 minutes compared to Fosters 22 minutes, and I really did like watching Camp Lazlo for the humor also, I mean Fosters was only good to me for story. I don't remember much of HHPA so I don't have much to say.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Wow the 3 big series of 2005! Time traveling here... just need to toss in Ben 10 and Justice League Unlimited for the nostalgia to be complete. But I pick Fosters.

There was a thread on the General Animation forum a few months back that talked about this era...

Cartoonfan15

Banned
I guess I might as well say what my favorite is. It's Fosters. It was hard picking which one is my favorite, but Foster's is the one that's the most special to me. In fact, it's actually my favorite cartoon of all time.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Camp Lazlo was consistently nice.
Puffy AmiYumi was consistently bad.
Some episodes of Foster's are really good, some are a bit too mean-spirited. But the good ones are better than Camp Lazlo, so I'll go for Foster's :)

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Foster's Home was and still is one of my favorite shows of all time. It was my mother's and older brother's favorite show on CN. We all loved the humor, the characters and the creativity the show had.

I was never able to watch Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi. I got cable in 2006 but the show was nowhere on the schedule, and unlike Billy and Mandy, it didn't air early in the mornings or very late at night. (I'm from Hungary btw.) I heard it's a good show, but since I haven't watched any episodes of it yet, I have no opinion on it.

I liked Camp Lazlo a lot as a kid, but I barely remember any episodes from it now. I guess the show while being very funny, wasn't really memorable.

So my vote goes to Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
HHPAY was hot garbage whose only draw is that it is fan-art capable. No fond memories of this one from me like I likely will have of examples like AT, RS, SU (yeah, why not), Clarence (for sure, despite my criticisms), WBB, and/or Gumball (definitely), to be honest.

Camp Lazlo was a poor man's Rocko's Modern Life mixed with any more than meh slice of life comedy about kids going to camp instead of school. Definitely glad I don't have fond memories of this one.

Foster's had an amazing concept and artstyle for a show - the only thing missing was good writing for the majority of it. The only things I liked as a result are the movie specials. Everything else about this show sucked and I'm glad to have distanced myself from it, now that I think long and hard about it. No offense, guys.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
TBH, I kinda favored Fosters and Camp Lazlo over Puffy Ami-whatever it
Is, to me personally, Puffy Ami was not my cup of tea, i personally find it in every episode they had are utterly useless and forgettable, it get me to the point that I'll just flip the switch to another channel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'm not really a fan of any of these, although I was pretty into Foster's when it was on. It was easily the most entertaining CN original made from this awkward period in their history (I did and do still prefer Ed, Edd n' Eddy and Billy & Mandy, but those are obviously its senior), but I honestly find its sitcom-esque writing a little lazy, and the characters tiresome, especially later on, when Bloo increasingly became a jerk and Eduardo increasingly childish. It still does have some good moments, definitely more than the others, so I'll go with it.

Meanwhile, Camp Lazlo was the poor man's SpongeBob SquarePants, and had nothing on Rocko's Modern Life, and Puffy wasn't remotely memorable aside from its star's music. These were the opinions I had when they were on, and they still ring true when I try them now.

Radical

Banned
I mostly love these two awesome Cartoon Network shows more,

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - It was amazing/enjoyable with amazing animation/art style, sweet funny comedy, and great funny episodes.Both Mac, Bloo, Frankie, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Jackie, Cheese, and Goo were all awesome enjoyable lovable characters.Both Bloo, Terrence, Duchess, Jerkins, Berry, Richie & Blake Superior, Red, Bendy, Oldman River/Young Man River, and Nemesis were my favorite enjoyable antagonists, but Bloo was a great enjoyable jerkwad/creep next to Daffy Duck, Bart/Lisa, Ren Hoek, Wayne Cramp, Kid Kevin Levin, Dan(Dan Vs.), Grunkle Stan/Bill Cipher, and Zorn, hehehe:D.I do enjoy seeing both Mr. Herriman/Madame Foster suffer as much as they were terrible unlikable jerkazoids.

Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi - Awesome/enjoyable underrated "girl power" comedy series with sweet animation and great funny comedy.Both Ami/Yumi, Kaz, Jang-Keng/Tekirai, Harmony, and Atchan were awesome enjoyable characters and Julie, Jang-Keng/Tekirai, Eldwin, King Chad, and The Talent Suckers: Vlad/Nicolai/Mitch were my favorite awesome comedic villains:D.Sucks that it got cancelled, I wanna see more of Julie's return.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I remember that HHPAY got mistreated on CN Europe: as with the USA, not every episode was transmitted. It returned here in 2012 but on weekends at like 5am.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The interesting thing about these three series as though they were a part of various CN series that popped around the mid 2000s (the city era and the beginning of the dark ages of the network that lasted until 2010) is that there is a similar link running through them. These are the three specific comedy shows from the 2004-2005 window (not shows that tried having a mix of comedy action like Megas, Juniper or even acquistions like Atomic Betty) that are all creations that live in the shadow of another cartoon series these never matched whatsoever. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is Powerpuff Girls since both were created by Craig McCracken. Camp Lazlo is Rocko's Modern Life as both were created by Joe Murray, and Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi lives in the shadow of Teen Titans. Granted Puffy as a series was created by Sam Register but it's pretty obvious Puffy only got a series due to the popularity of Teen Titans and Register (who was one of the main executive heads of the network) was a fan of theirs and thus got a show made as a result. Honestly none of the three shows I would call an astonishing triumph but none are awful either. Though ironically enough the closest one that comes to that would be

Camp Lazlo which IMHO is the weakest of the three. Granted it does have better animation then Puffy and honestly is probably way more consistent and thought out but... this is my definition of a mediocre cartoon. Something where no episodes probably really got me super annoyed or ticked unlike the other two series here but... no episode I really would ever want to rewatch or replay. There are some decent jokes sprinkled throughout the episodes ("and clam just repeated whatever Raj said", going off to play badmittion instead of dealing with the monster food and the monster food later mocking them for that, small talk with the aliens on what exactly their powers are) so it's not like anything connected, but I can't think of a single episode of the entire 4 season run that I would ever want to see all the way through or required to be seen all the way through. Probably because though there are some clues and references that would showcase Joe Murray's involvement to connect this to Rocko's Modern Life (I'm not just talking about the ending either but at one point Lazlo straight up doing the rocko laugh or the "hut hut hut" doctors on stretchers popping up) there is absolutley no edge or envelope pushing in this series that everyone associated RML for. Thus it just exists in a pretty meh bubble not really going outside the edge or experimenting or well doing anything other then just sort of existing. Mike Lu and Og is probably the most forgettable Cartoon Network original series ever made but this is the most in a way generic. It even had the most average run of just the 4 seasons and specials so it wasn't any sort of hit, but it wasn't a dud either. Again just... there. And the fact it really left no impact for me at all is why I would have to call it the weakest of these three series.

So the second best would be Hi Hi Puffy Yumi Show. Which yeah was rather cheap looking if you watch it now, and has a lot of very formulaic and cliche plots that are usually just there for quick bouts of shenningans and nothing else but again this one at least gets an earnest reaction from me, so i have to put it above Camp Lazlo. Yeah there are stinker episodes (anything that focuses a lot on Kaz honestly whether it's him doing lame Tom and Jerry shenningans with the pair's cats or that episode where Puffy got a better manager and Kaz was kicked to the side and Puffy wanted him back for... some reason even though they could of just like given him their extra money if they were worried about his health or anything- god this show could be so stupid looking back on it) but again there are episodes that on their own I would go back and check out. Like "Ami Goes Bad" "Ami Ami" or "In The Cards" the later of which is actually a very funny Yu-Gi-Oh parody. There is also some actually decent comedic chemistry between the main cast (something that you didn't really get with Camp Lazlo that really needed other characters or really out there scenarios to get any traction) and the fact that the epiosdes were only 7 minutes long actually make them stand out as unique especially from other CN shows at the time. And even now. Though granted if you want a CN series that looks a bit cheap co starring Grey Delisle, Mighty Magiswords is far superior in every way but there is a little to this series and that little puts it above CL.

And to me the best would be Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. Which yeah is honestly a very mixed series. A lot of people pick on just "Everyone knows it's Bendy" as the bad episode of that series but trust me, there are a lot of other stinkers of that series. "Dinner Is Swerved" "Beat With A Schitck" "Crime After Crime" "Dutchess Of Wails" "Say It Isn't Sew" and various others I could name are lame one joke/over mean spirited/moronic/not very well thought out episodes that I honestly do hate and the fact there are multiple of them and that it takes the show a couple of seasons to really find it's groove holds it back from being a really solid show for me. But to balance out a lot of the more terribly obnoxious episodes there are actually a lot of funny and hilarious episodes I would watch over and over again. "Store Wars" "Frankie My Dear", "Room With A Feud", "Challenge Of The Super Friends", "The Bloo Super Dude And The Magic Potato Of Power" and others and though it did take awhile the later episodes really do hit it out of the park a good amount of time with their comedy speed and energy. The cast though some can be rather one note at first do really work and have a lot of good interaction. Yeah a lot of people do think Bloo is annoying but eh I like to think of him as Master Shake junior: he may be obnoxious and self centered and sort of terrible but there is a charm to his antics and actual comedy in his delivery that balances it out. Plus this is one of the few CN series with true earnest heart and actual emotion. Even moments or bits of Camp Lazlo or Puffy never made me legitemly care for the characters at all, but this show did. Heck specials like "Good Wilt Hunting" and "Destination Imagination" were pretty much the standard for actual emotional and earnest story telling until Adventure Time and Steven Universe for CN, and episodes like this are the sort of love and charm Lauren Faust would wind up later also putting in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. In fact if you're a fan of MLP:FIM you'd notice a lot of the main character personalities in that show corrolate to this show (Mac is Twilight Sparkle, Bloo is Rainbow Dash, Eduwardo is Fluttershy, Wilt is Applejack, Coco is Pinkie Pie, Mr. Herrimen is Rarity and Madame Foster is Princess Celestia/Grannie Smith) and there is is just so much effort and passion put into this one. Granted it's mixed on what works and what doesn't but what does work easily puts it above those other two series for me every day of the week.

And that's my usually long rambly view on this topic because... if you know me you know I like doing that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts