Foster's a Sadist show?

Frank

I'm pretty surprised that Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is listed as a Sadist Show on TVTropes.com. I always felt that Fosters was a good natured show. Granted there episodes like Bye Bye Nerdy, Fosters Go to Europe, and I Only Have Surprise for You, that are definitely mean-spirited especially towards Mac. I'll admit that many CN Originals had Comedic Sociopathy to some level but I never thought it was bad on Foster's except episodes mentioned above. I mean if something bad happened to Bloo, he usually deserved it, but when something bad happens to Mac, we sympathize with him. Most of the characters on the show are nice with exception of Bloo, Mr Herriman, Duchess, Terrence, and a few others.

I always felt Fosters to be enjoyable. Yes Bloo became more of a jerk overtime but that didn't stop it from being enjoyable. It had nice characters like Mac, Frankie, Wilt, Eduardo, and many others to make up for it.

My 2 cents.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I pretty much agree with everything you said, except for the part about Mr. Herriman. Herriman could be kind of a stick in the mud, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Terrence or Duchess. Mr. Herriman wasn't mean or a jerk, he was just very uptight, orderly and by-the-book.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
Don't forget Bendy. Oh wait, never mind.
Foster's can be a nice show, but usually when they mess with a character, they go all out, so I usually avoid those.

Dragnatek

Well it was not as bad as Ed Edd and Eddy as far as being a Sadist show goes but there were too many episodes where the jerk character got away scott free, where the good kind hearted character had bad things happen to them for no reason. Yes I would say it is one.

FFmax

Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure
Yeah this show had good episodes, but they definitely had way too many unlikeable moments. They some good characters but they were often treated poorly. Particularly Mac and Frankie, and one of the main characters(Bloo) was a sociopath.

GPRailroad8794

Well it was not as bad as Ed Edd and Eddy as far as being a Sadist show goes but there were too many episodes where the jerk character got away scott free, where the good kind hearted character had bad things happen to them for no reason. Yes I would say it is one.
Ed, Edd n Eddy wasn't even that bad, it had its episodes though. Foster's, however made you HATE life after watching an episode like Everybody Knows its Bendy...

Lanmanna

Characters in Ed, Edd n' Eddy usually had it coming though.

bla2772

i dont really agree fosters is a amazing show regard lest (My favorite cartoon of all time )

Radical

Banned
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends may be my favorite awesome enjoyable show, but it can be pretty mean-spirited sometimes as much as I feel sorry for poor Mac/Frankie/Wilt/Eduardo/Coco when they get bashed by the jerks Blooregard(Bloo)/Mr. Herriman/Madame Foster/Terrance/Duchess/Bendy.I love the jerk Blooregard(Bloo) who's the Daffy Duck/Bender of the show along with the cruel sadistic villains Terrance/Duchess/Berry/Richie & Blake Superior which I find Blooregard(Bloo) and his obnoxious selfish jerkiness so funny while enjoying his just desserts especially Wilt's "get what you deserve" speech to Blooregard(Bloo) in Beat With A Schtick, hehehe:p, but I so despise Mr. Herriman which I'm glad he got his comeuppances a few times which he deserves it like at the end of Busted, go Frankie!!!!!!Ed, Edd, n Eddy is such a mean-spirited show to me as much as I feel sorry for poor Ed, Edd, and Eddy throughout the show since they're awesome/funny, Eddy was a great funny greedy/selfish jerk protagonist like Bloo, and I loved the Kanker Sisters: Lee/Marie/May who were funny cute evil bully sisters.I've always disliked Sarah/Kevin that need a brutal beating:mad:!!!!!!

Imposter's Home For Um . . . Make 'Em Up Pals/Cheese A Go-Go were such cruel Frankie-bashing episodes with poor Frankie having the most abuse worse than poor Sylvester/Eric Feeble(Stressed Eric)/Courage/Leopold(Butters)/Meatwad dealing with the annoying Goofball/Cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragnatek

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends may be my favorite awesome enjoyable show, but it can be pretty mean-spirited sometimes as much as I feel sorry for poor Mac/Frankie/Wilt/Eduardo/Coco when they get tortured by the jerks Bloo/Mr. Herriman/Terrance/Duchess/Bendy.I love the jerk Bloo who's the Daffy Duck/Eric Cartman of the show along with the two cruel sadistic villains Terrance/Duchess which I find Bloo and his obnoxious jerkiness so funny while enjoying his just desserts, hehehe:p, but I so despise Mr. Herriman which I'm glad he got his comeuppances a few times which he deserves it.Ed, Edd, n Eddy is such a mean-spirited show to me as much as I feel sorry for poor Ed, Edd, and Eddy while hating Sarah/Kevin that need a brutal beating:mad:!!!!!!

I don't see how you could feel bad for Eddy, he's the worst jerk of them all and deserves everything that happens to him. It makes me feel worse for Ed and Edd as they are often punished due to associating with Eddy even when (Edd at least) they try to stop him. Eddy should be lumped with Sarah and Kevin.

I really don't understand why Mr. Herriman get's lumped in with all the others. He's doing his job. He's just strict. He's not intentually a jerk. He does not do it for any thrill or to be a jerk, or even for his own ego. It is simply his duty. He's not torturing anyone, he's keeping the house efficient and in order.

Dragnatek

Ed, Edd n Eddy wasn't even that bad, it had its episodes though. Foster's, however made you HATE life after watching an episode like Everybody Knows its Bendy...

Yes it was, the problem with Ed Edd and Eddy is no likable characters. While Fosters had the occasional episode like that every SECOND of Ed Edd and Edd was like that. Everyone in that show was ether a complete jerk ass, annoying as sin, or too dumb to live. The only likable character Edd was punished for hanging with Eddy even when he tries to stop Eddy. Ed Edd and Eddy is "Everyone knows it's Bendy" the show.

I need a balance. A jerk character is fine, even as a main character but they can't rule the show, and you have to have some likable characters too. There has to be a balance. Also your complete jerk character should still be sympathetic. Look at Dan VS. Even at his worse Dan is still an enjoyable character. Yes it sucks when decent characters are punished and jerks get off scott free but it's even worse when every character is a jerk and their are no decent characters. That is a true sadist show to me and that is Ed Edd and Eddy.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I really don't understand why Mr. Herriman get's lumped in with all the others. He's doing his job. He's just strict. He's not intentually a jerk. He does not do it for any thrill or to be a jerk, or even for his own ego. It is simply his duty. He's not torturing anyone, he's keeping the house efficient and in order.

Exactly. Herriman is strict and uptight, sure, but he's just doing his job. If he was ever shown as getting some kind of sadistic pleasure from watching the tenants suffer, then he'd be worthy of the jerk label, but that clearly wasn't the case. How is Herriman a jerk for trying to keep things running smoothly and enforcing the house rules?

Calling Herriman a "despicable jerk" for trying to run an orderly and efficient house is like a kid calling their parents "meanies" for making them brush their teeth, clean their room and do their homework.

Kindness King

Frankie was the one who was wrong in that episode. Goofball was an imaginary friend, she thought he was a con artist but he wasn't. He didn't cause her intentional harm, so how is he a jerk? The hate for that episode is overblown and ridiculous.

Explosivo25

Am i the only one that thinks it's a bit...ah, sadistic for a character in a children's show to get heatstroke and then just be for the most part ignored for the rest of the episode? If you've watched "The Buck Swaps Here", you'll know what I mean.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
Foster's was equally sadistic and heartwarming.

Episodes by Craig Lewis and Tim McKeon almost always fell into the former (although Lauren penned the legendary Bendy). The feature-length specials definitely fall into the latter category.

Frank

Foster's was equally sadistic and heartwarming.

Episodes by Craig Lewis and Tim McKeon almost always fell into the former (although Lauren penned the legendary Bendy). The feature-length specials definitely fall into the latter category.

I know. Craig Lewis and Tim McKeon's last episodes were some of the worst episodes of Fosters. You could say they both went out with a whimper. About the other writers, Lauren Faust definitely wrote the best episodes, although she wrote a dud or two. Adam Pava's episodes were pretty good, Derek Bachman's episodes tend to vary somewhat, although none of his episodes were particularity bad. Fosters's episode were at the least funny on a regular basis, usually many of the weaker episodes were nothing to write home about. I always though Fosters was good-natured to be fair, when bad things happen to Bloo or any antagonists on the show, they usually deserved it; OTOH when bad things happened to Mac, Frankie, or Wilt ,we usually sympathize with them. I would never compare Fosters to Family Guy, South Park , or to a lesser extent Spongebob, as the characters on those shows lack redeeming values and use sadistic humor much more often. Most of the characters on Fosters at least have redeeming values except for the antagonists. Fosters was a great show and was fun to watch.

Sorry for the bump.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts