Font for Adult Swim cards?

Ferquin

I ♥ Princess Peach!
I was working on something for my site and I wanted to know what font they said they used for the cards. The closest I have in my font set is "Impact" but it's not exactly close. Could someone tell me what it was? Thanks.

Ferquin

I ♥ Princess Peach!
Cool! Thanks! Know anyplace I can download the font for free? I don't seem to have that one for some reason. :sweat:

goat

One Life
It's still Helvetica Neue, then? It looked like they changed it a few weeks back...

sl4

Still posting for some reason
Nimbleness said:
I think mac bought this font. I'm not exactly sure of the history on it.

Yep, Apple has it. Helvetica Neue is one of the fonts included with the Mac OS X installation.

Matthew Williams

Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt
It's Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold.

As for Arial Narrow, it's close but it really has some glaring differences. Plus, on the whole, I think Arial looks a hell of a lot cheaper than Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold, and it really bugs me when I see nice, slick production things... and then I see them use that font. Ugh.

Anyhoo, there is another equivalent of it called "Swiss". That's basically the same thing, only made by a different company.

Ferquin

I ♥ Princess Peach!
Matthew Williams said:
It's Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold.

As for Arial Narrow, it's close but it really has some glaring differences. Plus, on the whole, I think Arial looks a hell of a lot cheaper than Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold, and it really bugs me when I see nice, slick production things... and then I see them use that font. Ugh.

Anyhoo, there is another equivalent of it called "Swiss". That's basically the same thing, only made by a different company.

I totally agree. Arial is great for reading text. But when used for logos and branding, it just looks so cheap. It's like "oh I don't know, just use whatever font's on the computer".

Anyway, yeah, being an artist, I just wouldn't be able to settle for anything less than the exact font. I'd definitely notice and it'd bug me to death. Thanks for the help.

[edit]HOLY CRAP! $150 just for a damn font? WTF?!

sl4

Still posting for some reason
Yui said:
why don't we add Helvetica Neue as a forum font?

You have to have the font installed on your computer for it to work in a web browser. :shrug:

KefkaFloyd

REMEMBER MEEEEE
In response to several things in this thread:

The Adobe Font Folio, which contains over 2,200 fonts, can be yours for the low, low price of $10,000.

However, in the intended business, this is chump change, and it is most definitely required to be legal. If you don't have a license to a font, you're not supposed to use it (except to print out a customer's job and the customer has supplied it, in that case, you must delete the font afterwards).

Helvetica Neue is an "updated" version of the classic Helvetica. There are slight differences, but the average person probably couldn't tell.

Arial is a knockoff of Helvetica, done by Monotype for Birmy so they wouldn't have to pay Linotype for the rights to include the font. Why they didn't just copy Helvetica and rename it, no one knows. Instead of copying, they bastardized Helvetica and created Arial.

The Scourge of Arial for some more satisfying reading. Thanks to KingDead for the link, as it's much more readable than the paragraphs in my typography books. :)

The AS guys ran a card about this very issue (Why we use Helvetica Neue) a month or so back. As an aside, Apple doesn't own the rights to Helvetica Neue, they just bundle it with their OS as a common OpenType font after paying Linotype the fee (which includes other fonts in X such as Zapf Dingbats).

(Remember, it's Lucida, Not Lucinda! At least, the one that comes with OS X!)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts