First look at "Popeye" reboot

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Well, that was... harmless. I'm still a little peeved about the Popeye movie getting scrapped. :( At least I still have the old school Popeye toons.

Frontier

Staff member
I thought it was cute. Kinda wish there had been some actual dialogue, but I guess that's not what they're going for here :shrug:.

Bluto looks weird clean-shaven :confused:.

Do they not have the rights to the Popeye theme? It was strange seeing Popeye eat Spinach and to not hear the classic theme playing when he did :(.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
It was...ok. I mean pretty bare bones but a cute way to introduce kids to the characters I suppose. But yea, really makes me wish eye Popeye movie hadn't been scrapped.

Mandouga

Bluto looks weird clean-shaven :confused:.

Didn't you know? Olive wants a clean-shaven man!

But seriously, folks...

Do they not have the rights to the Popeye theme? It was strange seeing Popeye eat Spinach and to not hear the classic theme playing when he did :(.

It could be be that they simply chose not to use it. I mean, even Popeye and Son (which can be seen on Tubi TV, and on FilmRise's Roku channels) only occasionally referenced it (heck, Popeye Sr.* only sings it once, and that was in the first episode).

Incidentally, Bluto was clean-shaven in at least three shorts. Besides "A Clean Shaven Man", he was also clean-shaven in the remake (Shaving Muggs), and in She-Sick Sailors (the one where Bluto pretends to be Superman). I don't know about any others, though.

*His son's name is Popeye Jr. (although he's usually just called "Junior" for short).

ElectricAngel

I really didn’t like that short. Everything just felt so off. I had to do a double-take to make sure this wasn’t one of those fake “for kids” videos you see on YouTube with off model characters doing weird or graphic stuff.

The animation is so poorly done, the grunts feel unnatural, the plot is too safe, and Bluto seems particularly out of character. I don’t know, I’m just not feeling this. There was no reason to make a new series if the people behind it didn’t care about the property. I mean if you’re going to have more childish versions of the characters just call it “Popeye Kids” or something. :L

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well that exists. The designs threw me off so much at first that I thought it could be fanart instead of the actual designs. Making it mostly silent didn't make it more appealing and Bluto without his beard just looks weird. It isn't terrible, but it doesn't leave much of a good or bad impression.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Well, this explains why it feels harmless and cute:

DtiJu33UcAIRon8.jpg

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I'm sorry, but this just looks so cheaply made. I hate this style of animation where everything is overly bouncy and every little movement has to have a reaction. I believe The Magic School Bus Rides Again had this type of animation as well, and to me, it's very jarring. Nothing looks super original here. Just another average reboot.

hobbyfan

Aimed at preschoolers? Might as well sign up Pampers to sponsor these shorts.

Flash animation looks like it was done on the cheap, and the idea of making these 2-2 1/2 minutes long caters to the mythic sound byte mentality kids supposedly have.

Avoid like the plague.

SweetShop209

Yeah, this is just meh. Its without harm, but also without charm. The new Woody Woodpecker shorts are better.

Dudley

Staff member
Why did they have get rid of Bluto’s beard?
Just....why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
Since this seems to be a Youtube exclusive series, moving it to Streamtopia.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The only awkward thing is that the Popeye Youtube channel also features episodes from the older series, which look better in comparison to this one. But yeah, I'll have to pass on this series. It's not for me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts