First look at "Popeye" reboot

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,722 47
Sherman Oaks CA
I thought it was cute. Kinda wish there had been some actual dialogue, but I guess that's not what they're going for here :shrug:.

Bluto looks weird clean-shaven :confused:.

Do they not have the rights to the Popeye theme? It was strange seeing Popeye eat Spinach and to not hear the classic theme playing when he did :(.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
364 16
Newington, CT, USA
Bluto looks weird clean-shaven :confused:.
Didn't you know? Olive wants a clean-shaven man!

But seriously, folks...

Do they not have the rights to the Popeye theme? It was strange seeing Popeye eat Spinach and to not hear the classic theme playing when he did :(.
It could be be that they simply chose not to use it. I mean, even Popeye and Son (which can be seen on Tubi TV, and on FilmRise's Roku channels) only occasionally referenced it (heck, Popeye Sr.* only sings it once, and that was in the first episode).

Incidentally, Bluto was clean-shaven in at least three shorts. Besides "A Clean Shaven Man", he was also clean-shaven in the remake (Shaving Muggs), and in She-Sick Sailors (the one where Bluto pretends to be Superman). I don't know about any others, though.

*His son's name is Popeye Jr. (although he's usually just called "Junior" for short).

May 22, 2018
Ratings
USA
I really didn’t like that short. Everything just felt so off. I had to do a double-take to make sure this wasn’t one of those fake “for kids” videos you see on YouTube with off model characters doing weird or graphic stuff.

The animation is so poorly done, the grunts feel unnatural, the plot is too safe, and Bluto seems particularly out of character. I don’t know, I’m just not feeling this. There was no reason to make a new series if the people behind it didn’t care about the property. I mean if you’re going to have more childish versions of the characters just call it “Popeye Kids” or something. :L

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
3,414 3
In a Dream World
Well that exists. The designs threw me off so much at first that I thought it could be fanart instead of the actual designs. Making it mostly silent didn't make it more appealing and Bluto without his beard just looks weird. It isn't terrible, but it doesn't leave much of a good or bad impression.

RainbowCupcake

Maybe Santa will bring me a dictionary.
Dec 3, 2017
Ratings
United States
I'm sorry, but this just looks so cheaply made. I hate this style of animation where everything is overly bouncy and every little movement has to have a reaction. I believe The Magic School Bus Rides Again had this type of animation as well, and to me, it's very jarring. Nothing looks super original here. Just another average reboot.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Ratings
340 1
Troy NY
Aimed at preschoolers? Might as well sign up Pampers to sponsor these shorts.

Flash animation looks like it was done on the cheap, and the idea of making these 2-2 1/2 minutes long caters to the mythic sound byte mentality kids supposedly have.

Avoid like the plague.