First Look at Illumination's "Grinch" Film.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
I don't know if this thread is useful or not (feel free to lock it if you like), but I just wanted to see everyone's reaction to this: the first piece of animation debuted on NBC as part of the Winter Olympics....

Dudley

Staff member
Something about his bottom lip being pink really bothers me. Maybe it’s because of it’s surrounded by all that green fur and it’s an odd color clash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Watching this trailer, I can now see why Warner Bros. is getting the rights to make films based on the works of Dr. Seuss after this film.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hmm. Not loving it (and the use of "Happy" annoyed me...) but I won't fully judge until the next trailer.

jaylop97

Staff member
I have to say the animation reminds me of Horton hears a Who, then the Grinch is consistently portrayed mainly like Gru from Despicable Me. Eh for right now I hope there are some qualities that do go far from those similarities in the movie, because I just can't help but notice those.

DeanBurrito25

I'm...just not really feeling it. There was nothing wrong with the half hour Chuck Jones special (or the book for that matter.)

The Grinch's cave is supposed be dark and uninviting. Even the Jim Carrey movie made it look like a dusty and undesirable place to live (albeit with all the cool, self-made machinery and contraptions). The vivid, suburban-esque lighting featured in the trailer doesn't reflect that at all. This Grinch doesn't give the impression of being a cunning, scheming mastermind who's going to steal Christmas, he just comes off as kind of a prick. I don't see that character walking into a supermarket and slightly inconveniencing the Whos as they're shopping. It's all just very mild, very bland.

Max was the best part of the trailer for me, even if he looks like a remodeled Secret Life of Pets secondary character.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
And... No thanks - I can't bring myself to care about this, let alone look it in its stupid face. Ya'll take care, now.

ZeroKelvin

The Last Samurai
It's not bad... but not great either. All I'm hoping for is that it doesn't turn out to be like the 2012 version of The Lorax.

The Grinch's cave is supposed be dark and uninviting. Even the Jim Carrey movie made it look a dusty and undesirable place to live (albeit with all the cool, self-made machinery and contraptions). The vivid, suburban-esque lighting featured in the trailer doesn't reflect that at all. This Grinch doesn't give the impression of being a cunning, scheming mastermind who's going to steal Christmas, he just comes off as kind of a prick. I don't see that character walking into a supermarket and slightly inconveniencing the Whos as they're shopping. It's all just very mild, very bland.

The Grinch just walking into the supermarket like that felt wrong. In the Jim Carrey version, he at least disguised himself going into Whoville. Here he's treated like an average citizen.

DeanBurrito25

The Grinch just walking into the supermarket like that felt wrong. In the Jim Carrey version, he at least disguised himself going into Whoville. Here he's treated like an average citizen.
And now I just realized what didn't sit well with me about that characterization...he's being turned into another Gru.

They're basically remaking the introduction sequence of the first Despicable Me, but with the Grinch. In that movie, Gru isn't ostracized from society and is very much treated like a citizen despite being a villain. That's what it was.

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
The Grinch looks like a humanoid that is made to be a nightmare-fueler. The movie based on the trailer looks decent.

Dudley

Staff member
I’m not really feeling this either. Based on the synopsis and this trailer, they’re trying to make the Grinch like Despicable Me.
I’ll just wait to catch this on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I thought the Grinch just hated Christmas because it was loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized. Even Jim Carrey's version got that part down.

Anyway, this movie already lost me when I read about it on Cartoon Brew and found out they were giving Cindy-Lou Who an overworked-single-mother subplot. Haven't seen THAT angle a million times...

ShadowBeast

I thought the Grinch just hated Christmas because it was loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized. Even Jim Carrey's version got that part down.
The Grinch hated Christmas because of how jolly it was in opposite in how grinchy he was. The loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized thing was only added in the Jim Carrey version.

Anyway, this movie already lost me when I read about it on Cartoon Brew and found out they were giving Cindy-Lou Who an overworked-single-mother subplot. Haven't seen THAT angle a million times...
Yeah, it has, and it feels forced in this case.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
The Grinch hated Christmas because of how jolly it was in opposite in how grinchy he was. The loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized thing was only added in the Jim Carrey version.
Actually, the Grinch has always meant to focus on the commercialization of the holiday. In the book and the original special, he assumed that if he took away the items associated with commercialization (i.e. the gifts, the decorations, and the food), he'd be able to prevent Whoville from celebrating Christmas. However, in the end, he wasn't able to stop the the one thing that he hated the most: everyone in Whoville joining together and singing (which is meant to reflect Christmas being a holiday about the birth of the Christ and a time of being together with loved ones).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts