"Final Space" News & Discussion Thread (spoilers)

cartoonnetworkpoke

Hey Zaslav, shame on you and silly reality shows, and he has mentality about hot women in reality shows.

I would LOVE to see creators to take a legal action against the Zaslav and WBD, and IRS need to end the tax write-off for films and TV shows.

It is hard for me to believe that Zaslav can write Final Space off that went into circulation for 4 years.

Yes but WBD would have to pay back tax to IRS with interest and penalty.

It means Disney would own most of Fox and WB by now in case if it went thorough the hurdle.

Amazon would be a best interest for WB, in my opinion.

Dump Discovery to somewhere so Hallmark can take it.
No Disney bought 21st Century back in 2018 not 2014. So they were still separate companies at the time

StellaMagic

Olan would have to sue WBD to get full rights of Final Space back and WBD would have to amend the tax return to remove the write-off prior to April 15, 2023, so it means no interest nor penalty would be accessed.

If after April 15, 2023, WBD or Olan would have to pay back tax with interest and penalty.

If IRS audit the tax return and find a tax write-off cannot used on Final Space based on lengthy of content on service, so WBD would be forced to make a correction with tax return with possibility of tax penalty against on WBD.

Seriously, I doubt that Final Space would be qualified for tax write-off because of 3 seasons and run for 4 years since tax write-off is limited to contents that is unpopular and fail to generate the ads revenues, and pull from network. Final Space isn't one of them and the cost of production has been paid with ads revenues that ran on cable.
How much in taxes does the studio owe?

Moe

No Disney bought 21st Century back in 2018 not 2014
Not finalized until March 2019.

I'm saying if Fox bought WB in 2014 and if Fox decides to sell 20th Century and WB to Disney, so it means Disney would own 20th Century and WB by today if it wasn't hurdle or changed when Fox decides to sell their studios to Disney.

Fox didn't want to keep 20th Century so that why they sold to Disney, so I'm just say based on prediction in case if Fox bought WB in 2014 and few years, Fox decides to sell both to Disney, and there is other scenario, Fox sells 20th Century to Disney and Fox sells WB to other company.

How would Fox make better for WB? We don't know because Fox never bought WB and often, acquisitions led to huge mess. The consequence from acquisition is unpredictable so it could be either good or bad. We thought Discovery would be good but after executed, it is opposite.

How much in taxes does the studio owe?
Don't know and it isn't finalized until April 17, 2023 unless WBD request the extension because of complication with acquisition. They could get away with loopholes applied.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Not finalized until March 2019.

I'm saying if Fox bought WB in 2014 and if Fox decides to sell 20th Century and WB to Disney, so it means Disney would own 20th Century and WB by today if it wasn't hurdle or changed when Fox decides to sell their studios to Disney.

Fox didn't want to keep 20th Century so that why they sold to Disney, so I'm just say based on prediction in case if Fox bought WB in 2014 and few years, Fox decides to sell both to Disney, and there is other scenario, Fox sells 20th Century to Disney and Fox sells WB to other company.

How would Fox make better for WB? We don't know because Fox never bought WB and often, acquisitions led to huge mess. The consequence from acquisition is unpredictable so it could be either good or bad. We thought Discovery would be good but after executed, it is opposite.

Don't know and it isn't finalized until April 17, 2023 unless WBD request the extension because of complication with acquisition. They could get away with loopholes applied.
I mean when it comes to animation FOX does a good job so that's why I would've rather had them own WB that's why. But who knows at this point all this news is making me worried lol

ShadowBeast

Olan would have to sue WBD to get full rights of Final Space back and WBD would have to amend the tax return to remove the write-off prior to April 15, 2023, so it means no interest nor penalty would be accessed.

If after April 15, 2023, WBD or Olan would have to pay back tax with interest and penalty.

If IRS audit the tax return and find a tax write-off cannot used on Final Space based on lengthy of content on service, so WBD would be forced to make a correction with tax return with possibility of tax penalty against on WBD.

Seriously, I doubt that Final Space would be qualified for tax write-off because of 3 seasons and run for 4 years since tax write-off is limited to contents that is unpopular and fail to generate the ads revenues, and pull from network. Final Space isn't one of them and the cost of production has been paid with ads revenues that ran on cable.
So there's a good chance of Final Space's write-off being null and voided and WBD having to take back the show?
Would ensuring the IRS find out about Final Space possibly not being qualified for a tax write-off be even better chance of saving the show?

Moe

So there's a good chance of Final Space's write-off being null and voided and WBD having to take back the show?
I don't know but WBD isn't transparent about what happened with tax return and entire of tax return is complicated that doesn't show an explicitly write-off, so it means tax lawyer would have to figure it out.

If it does happen, WBD could throw Final Space in the vault with no chance of revival like Disney did with non-Marvel Saban contents.

Would ensuring the IRS find out about Final Space possibly not being qualified for a tax write-off be even better chance of saving the show?
It is going to be up to IRS to audit if there is mismatch with automated computers, but you can report to IRS if you think that WBD doesn't act to write the content off legally as defined in IRS code. The report needs to be credible as well but I can't do by myself because it need a lot of defective work and need access to IRS code that is understandable, so IRS isn't clear about write a content off.

It is best interest to leave up to creators and they have standing to take WBD to court, and creators could send the private investigator to investigate WBD tax return and write-off status to determine if there is foul.

ShadowBeast

If it does happen, WBD could throw Final Space in the vault with no chance of revival like Disney did with non-Marvel Saban contents.
But if Final Space makes them money it wouldn't make sense to vault it.
And even if they did, wouldn't WBD be able to take Final Space out of the vault if they have reason to?
It is best interest to leave up to creators and they have standing to take WBD to court, and creators could send the private investigator to investigate WBD tax return and write-off status to determine if there is foul.
Let's hope Olan will take this route then. Hopefully he knows he can.

Moe

But if Final Space makes them money it wouldn't make sense to vault it.
I have to clarify my statement and I'm saying in worst scenario, WBD would throw Final Space in the vault infinitely.

Best scenario would be bring back to HBO Max or license out to other streaming service.

Again, WBD isn't transparent about issue with tax return and you won't know about fate of Final Space after pulled from HBO Max. It means WBD is doing in secret matter and no one know about what happen next.

And even if they did, wouldn't WBD be able to take Final Space out of the vault if they have reason to?
It is up to WBD and it is their decision. WBD control the distribution.

Let's hope Olan will take this route then. Hopefully he knows he can.
Hope so but there is problem, it is uncommon for creators to take studio to court because of disclaimer in contract that where Olan and WB signed prior to production of Final Space, and studio compensated the money to Olan that outlined in contract. If contract allowed WBD to write Final Space off under special circumstance, so they could write this show off but there is question about whichever IRS allow studio to write a content off if they went beyond first season and run on service like cable and HBO Max for years.

ShadowBeast

Again, WBD isn't transparent about issue with tax return and you won't know about fate of Final Space after pulled from HBO Max. It means WBD is doing in secret matter and no one know about what happen next.
Yeah, but we did eventually find out about the show be written off despite WBD trying to keep everything secret.
It is up to WBD and it is their decision. WBD control the distribution.
Yeah, but they could always take the show out of the vault whenever they choose to. Wouldn't that be a better case scenario than the show being written off?
Hope so but there is problem, it is uncommon for creators to take studio to court because of disclaimer in contract that where Olan and WB signed prior to production of Final Space, and studio compensated the money to Olan that outlined in contract. If contract allowed WBD to write Final Space off under special circumstance, so they could write this show off but there is question about whichever IRS allow studio to write a content off if they went beyond first season and run on service like cable and HBO Max for years.
So we can only hope that either Olan can take court action and/or the IRS rejects the show as a write-off.

Moe

Yeah, but we did eventually find out about the show be written off despite WBD trying to keep everything secret.
It is easier to know if show has been write off but not tax return that where write off is included and WBD isn't transparent about fate of tax return that deal with write off, so it means we wouldn't know about fate.

Yeah, but they could always take the show out of the vault whenever they choose to. Wouldn't that be a better case scenario than the show being written off?
Don't know, Zaslav is very desperate to reduce the debt load and he went to remove a lot of shows from HBO Max and wrote few off like Batgirl, Scoob! Holiday Haunt and Final Space are three of them. Zaslav promised to shareholders about reduce the debt load.

If Final Space has low rating so Zaslav used this as excuse to kill the show. Most advertisers don't want to sponsor the shows if they are low rating, however, prior to merge with Discovery, Adult Swim was well tolerant with low rated contents and they believed that included in streaming service would help to pay off, despite not enough advertisers to sponsor.

So we can only hope that either Olan can take court action and/or the IRS rejects the show as a write-off.
Sure but I'm not hold my breath about outcome and IRS isn't going to "reject" but they will flag the tax return and order WBD to review and make a correction, and WBD could fight the dispute with their lawyers, and look for loophole that enable WBD to get away. Have a lot of loopholes in tax codes make entire of tax system broken.

Permanent removal of contents have consequence is obtain the contents outside of legit service.

I would discourage all creators from sign with WBD to make contents and go to any studios but WBD. WBD cannot be trusted anymore.

and bad news, Final Space leaves a lot of cliffhanger that hasn't resolved yet and 3rd season isn't conclusion of series.

cartoonnetworkpoke

This year has REALLY exposed streaming services. So many shows getting pulled off services with them never getting released in any physical media. Hope we go back to the old days

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
We thought Discovery would be good but after executed, it is opposite.
I sure didn't think Discovery would be good. I was never under that impression. They have no experience running anything this large or pleasing anyone but their niche.

It was going to be bad, the question was HOW bad. The best we could hope for was "about the same as AT&T." The worst-case scenario would be that they'd be stupid enough to transform a diverse, broad-targeted studio into their niche...and lo and behold, they're that stupid.

cartoonnetworkpoke

I sure didn't think Discovery would be good. I was never under that impression. They have no experience running anything this large or pleasing anyone but their niche.

It was going to be bad, the question was HOW bad. The best we could hope for was "about the same as AT&T." The worst-case scenario would be that they'd be stupid enough to transform a diverse, broad-targeted studio into their niche...and lo and behold, they're that stupid.
Yeah both Discovery and AT&T don't really fit the profile of handling a large media company with many IPs like WB

Moe

AT&T didn’t purge HBO Max nor write the contents off for tax purpose.

Discovery is worse than AT&T now.

Moe

To be fair though AT&T mismanaged the company and that led WB to be owned by Discovery.
Yes, AT&T's mismanagement is associated with financial and enabled WB to have endless original series for HBO Max and lower the price to $9.99, even still access to all HBO without ads. $9.99 per month nor $14.99 per month aren't enough for HBO Max to be profitable based on amounts of original series. HBO Max needs to be $19.99 to $24.99 per month to be profitable if they want a lot of original series, however many customers are unwilling to pay at those price.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts