FCC to Review Children's Television Regulations

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,017 5
Colorado
I hope this is the right spot of this. It was talked about earlier this year, but now it seems the FCC will be doing a review on Children's Television Rules. Some things hinted were the changing the E/I rules like the one where local stations having to air children's programming 3 hours a week between 7AM to 10PM. But other full details haven't been given as of yet. Here's the article from Bloomberg.

The Commissioner named in the article did write a blog post about how children's television regulations need to be reexamined as well.

I don't think any changes would make the classic Saturday morning style of network TV return, they kind of mention that with digital stuff existing, you would probably get more local news, infomercials or something. That also might not make Litton happy either. I do wish there was more a focus on quality programming than an amount by hours that was kind of a mistake.

But what are your thoughts?

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,017 5
Colorado
This could also mean the adverting rules could be looked at which includes cable networks., also a stated in that Bloomberg article, Viacom seems not to like the rule where you can't display a website during programming. Here's the handy guide to the rules.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Do broadcast networks even show any kids programming anymore? I don't see why they need to overhaul regulations for a market that no longer exists.
I think they’re doing this so they can bring the market back. There are kids in families in the US that can’t afford broadband internet for streaming or cable TV.
I don’t know if this could bring Saturday morning cartoons back to its glory days, but it is fun to imagine. It’ll definitely be great for a lot of studios to have that kind of outlet for their content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,017 5
Colorado
I think they’re doing this so they can bring the market back. There are kids in families in the US that can’t afford broadband internet for streaming or cable TV.
I don’t know if this could bring Saturday morning cartoons back to its glory days, but it is fun to imagine. It’ll definitely be great for a lot of studios to have that kind of outlet for their content.

One of the things noted in that blog post was that stations would like to use that time for newscasts or when sports come on that they don't have to preempt a newscast or local programming for the mandated E/I programming. I notice like during the world cup my Fox affiliate is airing the E/I programming on the weekday morning or a free period instead of the normal syndicated program. I am thinking they want a total removal of the rules, a reduction or more flexibility with the rules.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
640 11
Earth Two

To think, studios from around the globe could have a chance of getting popular shows a chance on broadcast networks. Hell, DreamWorks Animation TV or Universal Kids could do a block on NBC and not follow the guidelines. Nelvana once again, DHX, maybe even something that was like Kids WB!

A man can dream.

Jan 17, 2005
Ratings
32 2
In the refuge
z7.invisionfree.com
I don’t know if this could bring Saturday morning cartoons back to its glory days, but it is fun to imagine.
The ratings dropped 99%. It's not going to happen.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
349 16
Newington, CT, USA
Look, everyone, it's like what Henri told Fievel: "Never say never". There's another old saying as well: It's better to have tried and lost then to have never tried at all.

At any rate, 99%? Um...yeah. As they would say on the internet, "source, or it didn't happen"...

Aug 20, 2017
Ratings
85 9
If that’s the case, then I wonder why KidsClick even bothers trying.

Sinclair Broadcasting appears to be betting the farm on free-to-air TV (more specifically broadcast), since they are aware that the ease of accessibility and the mass disdain of outright malice from the major networks and Hollywood studios means that there's a big chance of broadcast blowing up, and igniting a second renaissance in broadcast. Coming from somebody in Northern California, the air is extremely fragmented, and that means that there's a big gap between each broadcast market and the low-power stations are only powerful enough to get into their city of license two others (KAHC-LD's coverage is one good example of this).
Look, everyone, it's like what Henri told Fievel: "Never say never". There's another old saying as well: It's better to have tried and lost then to have never tried at all.

At any rate, 99%? Um...yeah. As they would say on the internet, "source, or it didn't happen"...
I don't think you know about the price or the ease of viewing broadcast.
(I would archive, but it appears Archive ain't working competently today)
Pay-TV appears to be dying, the paid VOD outlets are getting hyper-partisan, there's a strong chance that free media will become strong again. If you need an example of this, why do you think Tubi has been gaining traction as of late?

Aug 20, 2017
Ratings
85 9
They're noncommercial, so no.
Do broadcast networks even show any kids programming anymore? I don't see why they need to overhaul regulations for a market that no longer exists.
The president seems to admire Sinclair broadcast group, so these changes are being made to most likely help Sinclair Broadcast group out, or make the market create competitors. Again, competition can make a market thrive, after all.
That and only 2 formats for content delivery work now: paid without advertising, or free with advertising (The most rare one to see is free and noncommercial, which Dash radio is an example of).

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,017 5
Colorado

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Ratings
732 1
Canada
Lots of old television rules have been undermined by the internet. The '90s Kidvid regulations were a failure even excluding the internet's impact. E/I material is entirely neglected by producers, programmers and viewers, to the point where you see 20-year-old+ shows recycled or non-child oriented stuff claiming to be E/I. Kids aren't the target demographic of Litton's programming, yet their library is used as the gold standard for E/I on multiple networks. No one is watching that and especially not kids.

Advertising is one I feel like the internet has made moot. There's an FCC rule blocking the advertisement of products based on a show during the broadcast of the show. In a world where full episodes are uploaded onto official YouTube channels alongside commercials for the toys (or worse, commercials for the toys are embedded in the full episode) that seems really pointless. It'll be impossible to enforce those rules on the internet, so why keep the ever declining broadcast industry beholden to them?

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,017 5
Colorado
The proposals today :
a look at the 3 hour rule
a station would get to choose which multi cast station would get to air E/I programming
guess this could mean that instead of eg: channel 3.1 airing the E/I programming the programming on 3.2 would count instead for the whole channel. Most of the Digi networks do provide E/I programming.
https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/fcc-childrens-television-broadcasters-1202871448/

Lots of old television rules have been undermined by the internet. The '90s Kidvid regulations were a failure even excluding the internet's impact. E/I material is entirely neglected by producers, programmers and viewers, to the point where you see 20-year-old+ shows recycled or non-child oriented stuff claiming to be E/I. Kids aren't the target demographic of Litton's programming, yet their library is used as the gold standard for E/I on multiple networks. No one is watching that and especially not kids.

Advertising is one I feel like the internet has made moot. There's an FCC rule blocking the advertisement of products based on a show during the broadcast of the show. In a world where full episodes are uploaded onto official YouTube channels alongside commercials for the toys (or worse, commercials for the toys are embedded in the full episode) that seems really pointless. It'll be impossible to enforce those rules on the internet, so why keep the ever declining broadcast industry beholden to them?
Yeah I don't think a large amount of kids want to see repeats of Dog Whisperer. Litton says that their programs target 13-16 year olds.
Here's how said show is described in station mandated public children's programming filings
ds3.PNG

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...