FCC Set to Propose Easing of Children’s Television Rules

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I've done a thread on this topic, to explain it simply they looking at the existing rules for Children's television rules on broadcast TV.

The Current rules say that the programs have to be 3 hours a week , they are looking at maybe rolling that and making it more flexible. When sports air , especially in the west coast stations have to make up that E/I programming time to air it. A good example is during the world cup my Fox station aired some e/i children's programming at 12pm on a Tuesday to make up for it.

Another rule is that the programs have to be at least 30 minutes they are talking about being as long they want as cited in that article. Saying that educational programming can be made shorter like how School House Rock used to be.

They also might be reducing the rule where digital sub channels that usually air things like Antenna TV or something maybe can cut back on their E/I mandated children's programming.

The ranging could be from reductions to whole scale elimination of rules. I hope this was helpful though.

TMC1982

While this will unlikely result in a return to the glory days of Saturday morning TV, it would give stations more flexibility (the issue isn't the amount of children's programming, but the amount of advertising that was permitted) and would likely result in more, and better, programming, that kids would actually watch. Also, if the E/I man is eliminated, Saturday mornings will probably go to more news and sports at best, and infomercials at the worst.

stephane dumas

While this will unlikely result in a return to the glory days of Saturday morning TV, it would give stations more flexibility (the issue isn't the amount of children's programming, but the amount of advertising that was permitted) and would likely result in more, and better, programming, that kids would actually watch. Also, if the E/I man is eliminated, Saturday mornings will probably go to more news and sports at best, and infomercials at the worst.

With more news, in an era with fierce competition with cable news channel and internet, that avenue might be less lucrative.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
I've done a thread on this topic, to explain it simply they looking at the existing rules for Children's television rules on broadcast TV.

The Current rules say that the programs have to be 3 hours a week , they are looking at maybe rolling that and making it more flexible. When sports air , especially in the west coast stations have to make up that E/I programming time to air it. A good example is during the world cup my Fox station aired some e/i children's programming at 12pm on a Tuesday to make up for it.

Another rule is that the programs have to be at least 30 minutes they are talking about being as long they want as cited in that article. Saying that educational programming can be made shorter like how School House Rock used to be.

They also might be reducing the rule where digital sub channels that usually air things like Antenna TV or something maybe can cut back on their E/I mandated children's programming.

The ranging could be from reductions to whole scale elimination of rules. I hope this was helpful though.
I think this could mean that the E/I shows could only air in hour-long blocks or only one show a day?
I also remember the "E/I pre-emption" thing happening during my childhood. One time, my NBC actually aired VeggieTales in the afternoon, but I only caught half of it because Mom took us to Chuck E Cheese.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
If O'Reilly really is planning to get the ball rolling on, I wish him all the luck. I don't see much success in the long term as cartoons are much more successful on the kids cable networks than the broadcast networks (unless they'll air Sunday nights on Fox lol). Maybe reruns or specials, but not new series. But it's great to think about it.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
If E/I is removed stations will be happy now they can air more news, paid programming, stations not in the Eastern time zone can air sports without having to worry to about trying to make up the E/I programming later. (Or what some NBC stations have done preempt soccer for E/I stuff)

If this passes, Litton Entertainment will be hurting.
I think Hearst (owners of Litton) would be the only tv station owner that would be un-happy about the rule being revoked.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Oops! Sorry.

Good! I mean, I know this won't bring back Saturday Morning Cartoons, but at least that will teach Litton Entertainment for ruining our Saturdays. :evil:
It wasn't really Litton's fault the networks needed E/I programming and Litton was providing it and it was easier than making their own. Kind of how the networks outsourced their Saturday morning blocks in the 2000's.

stephane dumas

I wonder if the E/I programming had played a part in the rise of TNBC line-up with Saved by the Bell and other similar shows then NBC showed like California Dreams, Hang Time and City Guys?

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I can't believe Saved By The Bell was able to justify its existence by saying it was educational. It would be equally dumb if Small Wonder called itself that.
I remember when TBS was still also airing on WTBS in Atlanta so they'd have the E/I bug on Saved by the Bell to make it count for WTBS love how they describe it

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Guess it would also benefit foreign networks (NHK World, KBS World, etc.) available in some cities on subchannels, either of PBS stations or ethnic commercial ones.

Mandouga

This could also mean (assume this would actually happen) that KidsClick could expand itself, but that's just me.

I've also heard people say that it would mean more news and infomercials, and stuff, but you never really know. Yes, yes, there's cable, and there's online, but still. To put it another way, animated shows (educational or otherwise) on regular, non-cable TV might have a better chance if the stations gave everyone something that couldn't be found anywhere else (and I don't necessarily mean digital first shows on TV like KidsClick does sometimes). Yeah, I know what some of you will say: "But then no one will know about it, and it will fail". If anything, it could be either or. At least KidsClick is trying (or something like it...). OTOH, they have a different problem, namely the kind I had been talking about on the KidsClick thread.

Look, despite everything, I say the stations should try (again) at least..

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
This could also mean (assume this would actually happen) that KidsClick could expand itself, but that's just me.

I've also heard people say that it would mean more news and infomercials, and stuff, but you never really know. Yes, yes, there's cable, and there's online, but still. To put it another way, animated shows (educational or otherwise) on regular, non-cable TV might have a better chance if the stations gave everyone something that couldn't be found anywhere else (and I don't necessarily mean digital first shows on TV like KidsClick does sometimes). Yeah, I know what some of you will say: "But then no one will know about it, and it will fail". If anything, it could be either or. At least KidsClick is trying (or something like it...). OTOH, they have a different problem, namely the kind I had been talking about on the KidsClick thread.

Look, despite everything, I say the stations should try (again) at least..
Yeah, it would be nice if someone took the initiative like Kids Click and tried something it might not work , but it also could maybe also work. Maybe even try some space on METV or Antenna on Saturday morning or something. I'm not against that at all. I just can't say stations wouldn't just expand newscasts or random programming because they are revenue makers for stations more than children's programming would be even if the ad rules part of the children's act were removed. (which could make Nick and CN worse with commercials too)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I remember when TBS was still also airing on WTBS in Atlanta so they'd have the E/I bug on Saved by the Bell to make it count for WTBS love how they describe it View attachment 227931
That is absolutely ridiculous. This is why the E/I rules were tightened in the first place. Maybe if the very light original guidelines had been followed at all we'd still have Saturday mornings.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts