FCC Set to Propose Easing of Children’s Television Rules

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,035 5
Colorado
I've done a thread on this topic, to explain it simply they looking at the existing rules for Children's television rules on broadcast TV.

The Current rules say that the programs have to be 3 hours a week , they are looking at maybe rolling that and making it more flexible. When sports air , especially in the west coast stations have to make up that E/I programming time to air it. A good example is during the world cup my Fox station aired some e/i children's programming at 12pm on a Tuesday to make up for it.

Another rule is that the programs have to be at least 30 minutes they are talking about being as long they want as cited in that article. Saying that educational programming can be made shorter like how School House Rock used to be.

They also might be reducing the rule where digital sub channels that usually air things like Antenna TV or something maybe can cut back on their E/I mandated children's programming.

The ranging could be from reductions to whole scale elimination of rules. I hope this was helpful though.

TMC1982

Jun 16, 2008
Ratings
A, A
While this will unlikely result in a return to the glory days of Saturday morning TV, it would give stations more flexibility (the issue isn't the amount of children's programming, but the amount of advertising that was permitted) and would likely result in more, and better, programming, that kids would actually watch. Also, if the E/I man is eliminated, Saturday mornings will probably go to more news and sports at best, and infomercials at the worst.

stephane dumas

Apr 23, 2006
Ratings
Canada
While this will unlikely result in a return to the glory days of Saturday morning TV, it would give stations more flexibility (the issue isn't the amount of children's programming, but the amount of advertising that was permitted) and would likely result in more, and better, programming, that kids would actually watch. Also, if the E/I man is eliminated, Saturday mornings will probably go to more news and sports at best, and infomercials at the worst.
With more news, in an era with fierce competition with cable news channel and internet, that avenue might be less lucrative.

mimitchi33

Kiratto PriChan, On Air!
Jul 5, 2010
Ratings
74 1
I've done a thread on this topic, to explain it simply they looking at the existing rules for Children's television rules on broadcast TV.

The Current rules say that the programs have to be 3 hours a week , they are looking at maybe rolling that and making it more flexible. When sports air , especially in the west coast stations have to make up that E/I programming time to air it. A good example is during the world cup my Fox station aired some e/i children's programming at 12pm on a Tuesday to make up for it.

Another rule is that the programs have to be at least 30 minutes they are talking about being as long they want as cited in that article. Saying that educational programming can be made shorter like how School House Rock used to be.

They also might be reducing the rule where digital sub channels that usually air things like Antenna TV or something maybe can cut back on their E/I mandated children's programming.

The ranging could be from reductions to whole scale elimination of rules. I hope this was helpful though.
I think this could mean that the E/I shows could only air in hour-long blocks or only one show a day?
I also remember the "E/I pre-emption" thing happening during my childhood. One time, my NBC actually aired VeggieTales in the afternoon, but I only caught half of it because Mom took us to Chuck E Cheese.

Spotlight

Latest profile posts

Happy 20th birthday to PPG. Even in the good times and the bad times, you're still a show worth watching.
Holy smokes! Churned out 15 freaking pages of the latest Gilda and Meek today! I am in the freaking zone and so happy with how things are going in the final issue I will be posting on Toon Zone.
Asa
Happy 90th birthday to Mickey, 20th birthday to PPG, and 30th birthday to LBT & O&C.
Happy 20th Birthday to the one, the only... THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCA1cifF4fY
Happy 35th anniversary to A Christmas Story, happy 20th anniversary to PPG, and happy 90th birthday to Mickey Mouse!