"Fast & Furious: Spy Racers" News & Discussion Thread

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I didn't particularly like the show, but I can see it having a certain appeal. Credit to Vin Diesel at least for returning to voice Dom. It's pretty rare for big stars or lead actors to reprise their roles for shows like this. One of the rare exceptions being DreamWorks Dragons.

I found the main cast kind of annoying and their voices grating on the nerves. Dom's nephew, Tony, just seems really bland and vanilla.

As far as CG goes, it seemed fairly decent n terms of animation. The designs weren't my cup of tea, but that's what I largely take issue with for most CG animation.

Basically, this is Fast & Furious jr. It's the young junior recruits and it's clearly aimed at a younger audience. But with that in mind how they basically get around the whole illegal street racing/outlaw aspect of Dom and his crew is amusing by quickly turning them into top secret super spies. I've seen worse franchise exploitations. But it's amusing to see how the franchise started basically as this 2001 automotive version of Point Break to having an animated, kid-oriented spinoff.

Considering it's a Netflix show, and the seasons are short. I could definitely see a future season or episode seeing some other guest star characters from the films, such as Michelle Rodriguez as Letty. Rodriguez has done animation and VO work in the past, so I could easily see it happening if the show continues.

SweetShop209

The Netflix page says new episodes return October 9.

Screenshot_20200915-025650.png

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Just finished watching season two and honestly, I found it an improvement over the first season, especially that it certainly felt more like the films.
However, Dom is absent in this season, probably due to this likely taking around the same time as next year's F9, though he does get mentioned.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Finished season two. Just like the first one, it's a pretty quick watch. Overall, I think it fixed some issues, but also created a few new ones.

The locale change to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil was nice and refreshing, but I think only one episode really took advantage of that, where they actually explore the city and absorbed some of the culture. The rest of the season unfortunately just took place in the jungle, warehouses, highways, and the streets.

One of the disadvantages of making a season that feels like a long movie is that there's little time for the leads to develop. However, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous managed to grow its cast nicely with the same time, so this show doesn't really have an excuse for underdeveloped characters. Echo and Cisco actually get some spotlight compared to last season, but the main characters still feel pretty aimless.

The plot is pretty light compared to season one. The stakes are lower, but it actually feels more cartoonish than the previous season. The main villain this season wasn't as compelling as Shashi. Rafaela was not the antagonist I expected at all, especially with how myth and worship was used to build her up. Her being a wealthy, selfish, sadistic brat was a complete contrast to Shashi, which makes her kind of shallow. However, it does make it easier to hate, which is nice for the people who rooted for Shashi more than Tony and his gang.
tongue
Still, her over-the-top attitude made her memorable, at least. I only wish we would've seen the town's reaction to her being exposed as a fraud.

Also, hey, this season literally ended on a dance party. It's been a while since I've seen a Dreamworks production with one.

Fun season. Not one of my favorites and it is flawed, but it works as dumb fun, just like the movies. The action sequences and some of the humor (hi Ms. Nowhere and Gary) give it a weird charm that made it easier to watch.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Finished season two. Just like the first one, it's a pretty quick watch. Overall, I think it fixed some issues, but also created a few new ones.

The locale change to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil was nice and refreshing, but I think only one episode really took advantage of that, where they actually explore the city and absorbed some of the culture. The rest of the season unfortunately just took place in the jungle, warehouses, highways, and the streets.

One of the disadvantages of making a season that feels like a long movie is that there's little time for the leads to develop. However, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous managed to grow its cast nicely with the same time, so this show doesn't really have an excuse for underdeveloped characters. Echo and Cisco actually get some spotlight compared to last season, but the main characters still feel pretty aimless.

The plot is pretty light compared to season one. The stakes are lower, but it actually feels more cartoonish than the previous season. The main villain this season wasn't as compelling as Shashi. Rafaela was not the antagonist I expected at all, especially with how myth and worship was used to build her up. Her being a wealthy, selfish, sadistic brat was a complete contrast to Shashi, which makes her kind of shallow. However, it does make it easier to hate, which is nice for the people who rooted for Shashi more than Tony and his gang.
tongue
Still, her over-the-top attitude made her memorable, at least. I only wish we would've seen the town's reaction to her being exposed as a fraud.

Also, hey, this season literally ended on a dance party. It's been a while since I've seen a Dreamworks production with one.

Fun season. Not one of my favorites and it is flawed, but it works as dumb fun, just like the movies. The action sequences and some of the humor (hi Ms. Nowhere and Gary) give it a weird charm that made it easier to watch.

Unlike JW:CC, this is a Saturday Morning like toyetic series. Not bad, but the voicing should definitely be better.

Frontier

Staff member
Literally on the anniversary of the first season, too.

Here's a synopsis, but don't know how reliable it is:
Echo is leading the team? Is Tony not the main character anymore? Is this because Echo was primed as Nowhere's best student :confused:?

Will we get periodic flashes to what Nowhere and Gary are doing with Nowhere berating poor Gary :p?

"Enemies from the past..." Could this be Kelso and Rafeala's mother? I thought a Shachi and Rafeala team-up might be it, but in the former they take care of loose ends and also give us some fresher antagonists :evil:.

I wonder if Layla will be with the team from the start this go-around (assuming that's her in front on the teaser image)...

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Echo is leading the team? Is Tony not the main character anymore? Is this because Echo was primed as Nowhere's best student :confused:?

Will we get periodic flashes to what Nowhere and Gary are doing with Nowhere berating poor Gary :p?

"Enemies from the past..." Could this be Kelso and Rafeala's mother? I thought a Shachi and Rafeala team-up might be it, but in the former they take care of loose ends and also give us some fresher antagonists :evil:.

I wonder if Layla will be with the team from the start this go-around (assuming that's her in front on the teaser image)...

I mean, Echo being a leader doesn't stop Tony from being a lead. I just hope they give Cisco and Frostee some love because it kind of comes off like Echo is the pet character.

I sure hope so.

I kind of assumed it'd be Shashi, but Kelso works too. It would be interesting to see how the latter would fare as a lead villain. I don't see Shashi and Rafaela working together well, considering they're pretty much polar opposites.

I hope Layla is a full team member this time. It would feel repetitive if they came up with another reason to write her out of the main team dynamic.

Frontier

Staff member
I mean, Echo being a leader doesn't stop Tony from being a lead. I just hope they give Cisco and Frostee some love because it kind of comes off like Echo is the pet character.
Speaking of Cisco, I was kind of wondering to myself that in-spite of being the team's mechanic...how much actual mechanic work have we see him do on the show other than the one or two times he's stuck bubblegum on a car :confused:?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts