"Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

• Total voters

TMC1982

Tim Story kill this movie he don't know jack about The Four.

I thought that the 1970s animated series with HERBIE the robot subbing for Johnny Storm and the first season of the 1990s animated series were bad enough. I hope to God that Marvel Comics gets the rights back and produces the next Fantastic Four movie by themselves (a la the Iron Man movie and the new Hulk movie that hopes to fix the 2003 fiasco from Ang Lee).

The Fantastic Four is more than a campy, sitcom-ish, romantic comedy disguised as a superhero film. Tim Story, quite frankly isn't a very good action and sci-fi director. I want a film containing epic, "Star Wars" kind of qualities like the Fantastic Four mythos to be more than simply a 90 minute kiddie film.

When I come to see a Fantastic Four movie, I want to see a Doctor Doom who's genuinely meanacing and mysterious, as opposed to the game show host, Lex Luthor, tycoon flake we got in the movies. I also want Reed Richards to exhibit more confidence (as if he has a chip on his shoulder) as a leader. I want Galactus to be more than purely a gigantic fart cloud with zero personality. I want the actress portraying Sue Storm to actually be a good actress and more maternal, and not just a sexbot in blue contact lenses and a bad blonde doll wig. Only Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm seemed to be remotely accurate.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
This movie was okay. Galactus was butchered. I won't even say anything that hasn't already been said. They nailed the Silver Surfer, I thought. Sue was annoying. Reed was completely out of character. That dancing? Come on. Johnny was more mature, which I liked. Ben was okay. 3 Stars, mainly for the Surfer.

dmxx116

This is what Tim Story said on DVD why he made Galactus a stupid cloud: In the planned Silver Surfer,we wanted those filmmakers,whoever they wind to be to design Galactas their way.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I actuallt prefered the first film. This one felt...silly, I guess. The whole switching powers thing was random and Doom was maybe even worse than last time. Silver Surfer wasn't that good here, and Galactus, well, was just awful. He didn't even really appear.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer

I liked it. It was nice to see a good old-fashioned PG superhero movie. You don't get many of those anymore.

The tone seems a little less serious than the first. I'm trying to find the right word for it but none of them are right. Jokey? Quirky? Satiric? Subversive? I don't know. Probably all of those at once, but a little LESS of each of them all.

The Fantastic jet is very toyetic. If there was NOT a toyline attached to this film (and I don't remember) the producers were crazy. But they always seemed to attach toylines to the least marketable X-Men films and ignored the films that could have sold a ton of toys, so if I learned there was NOT a toyline, I wouldn't be shocked.

There is a notable plot hole at the end. When Johnny traps Doom in his rubber body, he should have switched gifts with him. Maybe they were saying that he can only switch back with people whose gifts he's taken, but if so, they should have set up that idea first. It is not remotely evident that's the case.

Sue using her power to vanish the pimple is something I wish more superhero projects would do, including stuff in the MCU: Showing off the mundane perks of the superpowers. Kids hate zits. Imagine the wish fulfillment of being able to make them vanish at will. Even the MCU stuff never really embraces the idea that people in the audience want to be the heroes on some level. For most franchises being a hero is tragic and curse and an unwanted burden. I like that moment because every single superpower DOES have its perks. And we should see that as often as possible. We don't usually. Which is a failing.

So we didn't actually SEE Galactus in the film. I honestly didn't really care. Same deal with Doom getting punked the way he was. I do not have the attachment to some of the villains comic book fans do. It makes it easier for me to enjoy stuff like this, but I bet it drove purists nuts at the time.

The CGI effects for the Silver Surfer were pretty spiffy.

I like Ben having fun at Johnny's expense when they switched powers. Guy sort of had it coming. Him burning up the bouquet at the end was also a total rhymes-with-slick move.

So, yeah, positive impression, and a slightly more positive impression than the first movie. ****.

Extended & Deleted Scenes:

I would like to see an extended version of the film sometime, because all of the deleted scenes are pretty great. And it would probably only add up to five minutes of new material. Overall: ****1/2.

Full Main Title:

I loved this! They should have used it in the movie! It's not like the film at 92 minutes was overlong. It reminds me greatly of the main titles from the Kelvin Star Trek pictures. *****.

Fantastic Store:

What's interesting is that they didn't have to mock up toy packages. Those were all toys from the first movie (which I do recall DID have a toyline). ***.

Wedding Montage:

That was cute! There was no reason to cut it. The movie was already super short. ****1/2.

Reed Gets Crushed Ring:

Not as good as the montage scene (although it pays one of the gags off) but there is also no reason it needed to be cut. ***1/2.

Doom Builds Arm Band & Covers Up His Mask:

This is a great scene, and explains what Doom was working on when Sue walked in on him, and also give him a much needed explanation for why his face is normal now. My guess? It was cut to get the film a PG rating. It would have flown in a PG-13 movie, but I think the producers wanted to gear this one more for kids. I'm certain this was a note from the MPAA, damn their corrupt souls. ****.

Theatrical Trailers:

The trailers for the first film sucked but these didn't. Overall: ****1/2.

Theatrical Trailer A:

I was curious about this because the trailers for the first film were awful. This was pretty great. ****1/2.

Theatrical Trailer B:

Cool. ****1/2.

the greenman

Well, I still respect what FF tried to do. Though I think the direction is kinda flawed. I still wasn't a fan of Doom. Much like Magneto they basically made him their go to villain.

For this one, Surfer looked good. Not a fan how they handled him. Galactis. . . no comment. Really looking forward to an update on these two.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts